Did your State reclassify your Slingshot?

• Two things to remember;
    Autocycle is not a vehicle class on a federal level.
    The VIN and title will be motorcycle until the Fed adopts a new class for autocycle. Major insurance companies don't care what the states come up with.

• When they change the classification to autocycle, do they still require you to wear a helmet in the helmet states?

it seems as if each state does their own thing with some still requiring a helmet and others not - - most, from what I have heard, drop any special motorcycle license requirements when they change it to an autocycle - which I think is reasonable when you consider that a three wheel motorcycle/autocycle does not have the unique handling characteristics that a 2 wheel motorcycle has.

Here in California there doesn't seem to be any notable interest in creating an autocycle classification for the slingshot - here the class m-1 and m-2 licenses have always been specifically for 2 wheeled motorcycles only and were never required for trikes of any kind that I know of - although I dont think this became widely known until the spyders began showing up and were specifically marketed as not requiring the M-1

Also here "fully enclosed" three wheeled motorcycles are exempt from the helmet requirement, but what exactly qualifies as "fully enclosed" seems to be very unclear and pretty much is left to a judge to decide should you get a ticket

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Two things to remember;
    Autocycle is not a vehicle class on a federal level.
    The VIN and title will be motorcycle until the Fed adopts a new class for autocycle. Major insurance companies don't care what the states come up with.

there has been a bill, H.R. 2381, sitting in congress for some time now that would set safety standards for "autocycles" and it also defines what an autocycle is. here is the text H.R.2381

if passed as written autocycles would have to be front wheel drive and have steering wheel air bag

• there has been a bill, H.R. 2381, sitting in congress for some time now that would set safety standards for "autocycles" and it also defines what an autocycle is. here is the text H.R.2381
    if passed as written autocycles would have to be front wheel drive and have steering wheel air bag

The bill you reference hasn't passed for about year. However, even if it does pass, our Slingshots will not be subject to the new law and we will be grandfathered in. There are many, many examples of this. A 1967 Chevy pickup will not remotely pass the requirements of 10 years after it was built. With a gas tank that was behind the seat, it could lead to a side hit that caused a rupture in the tank and a blazing fire inside the cab. Yet, there are many of them still licensed and insured on the road (I know of 2). I may be wrong (prove it to me), but I think this is just worrying about nothing. The Govt, State, Local, and Federal levels approved the ones we have to be sold and licensed and insured.... precedence has been set. Future autocycles (should they be recognized at Federal level) may in fact be affected, but the ones that have been sold.... well as I understand will not.

I'm tired of debating about something that I truly believe will NEVER affect any of the ones that are already sold. I own mine, and if things change for the future ones, I can decide what I want to do about that should I attempt to go up. For now, I will keep the one I have and continue to make it better. Y'all can debate this until the apocalypse, but I think I'm done here.

• The bill you reference hasn't passed for about year. However, even if it does pass, our Slingshots will not be subject to the new law and we will be grandfathered in. There are many, many examples of this. A 1967 Chevy pickup will not remotely pass the requirements of 10 years after it was built. With a gas tank that was behind the seat, it could lead to a side hit that caused a rupture in the tank and a blazing fire inside the cab. Yet, there are many of them still licensed and insured on the road (I know of 2). I may be wrong (prove it to me), but I think this is just worrying about nothing. The Govt, State, Local, and Federal levels approved the ones we have to be sold and licensed and insured.... precedence has been set. Future autocycles (should they be recognized at Federal level) may in fact be affected, but the ones that have been sold.... well as I understand will not.
    I'm tired of debating about something that I truly believe will NEVER affect any of the ones that are already sold. I own mine, and if things change for the future ones, I can decide what I want to do about that should I attempt to go up. For now, I will keep the one I have and continue to make it better. Y'all can debate this until the apocalypse, but I think I'm done here.

This is pretty much why I started this post - I want to hear from people in States who already owned their Slingshot when their state reclassified it from a motorcycle to an autocycle. I want to know if there were any retroactive provisions that impacted them

I live in California and as I pointed out earlier in this state three wheeled motorcycles have never required the motorcycle endorsement on the drivers license to operate. As such there really isnt any reason for the state to bother reclassifying the slingshot into an autocycle.

• I'm not aware of any state that created a new classification of autocycle. It is a sub category of the motorcycle classification.
    As long as the VIN is motorcycle there is no grandfathering it in a new class that it doesn't fit in.

• Most of this autocycle talk was started for the Elio. The company went through all the hoops to be able to collect people’s money and look legitimate. Still no Elio to date produced.
    To answer the OP I had my SS in IL before autocycle, then they switched and now 3 years after the switch I am still motorcycle plate and nothing changed.
    I sent in my new registration papers and ordered a motorcycle plate for my new one. I haven’t received the plate yet so we will see. It might be what you ask for when registering. If you have a motorcycle plate you better have the motorcycle endorsement if you have autocycle plate you won’t need endorsement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk