Feedback on DD Audio systems

• Happy Monday all,

My sling's 1st owner's only mod was a speaker system. He had a shop install DD Audio speakers (2 6.5s and separate tweets) & amps, using 2 behind the seat SSVworks sub enclosures $ 10" subs. It has decent power...but I don't like the sound quality. I've never heard of DD Audio. I found their web site and was surprised that this stuff isn't marine grade. I thought that was a must? I live it Vegas and it won't get wet, but still.

Does anyone else use DD Audio? Curious how they would compare to JL Audio or a more popular brand. I know with separate speakers, it's important to get the cross overs right...but I'd have no clue how to do that. lol. Using the equalizer app when streaming from my phone, it sounds OK, but I'm looking for more than that and was considering additional speaker pods.

Previous owner had the gain turned all the way down and essentially wasn't even using the subs. He said the shop talked him into going with what he did and he thought it was too much. I found the DD Audio site, the shop used the bottom end options, but he spent $3,400 ($1,200 in labor!)

• As long as non-marine-rated speakers have non-paper cones, they should Survive use in an outdoors environment. If you search Amazon for marine speakers, you'll find results that include speakers that aren't listed by the manufacturer as approved for marine use. I ran Rockford Fosgate 6.5" speakers in my roll hoop enclosures for around 2 years or so w/o problem and they weren't marine rated by the manufacturer, but came up in an Amazon search for marine speakers.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• $1200 in labor is insane. In a couple of weeks I"m getting 2 amps installed, a line output converter, 4 replacement speakers and a dial (for sub output) in my Kia Soul, that will run me about $400 in labor.