Conservative Politics & Daily Events Discussion

• Stuff like this has always happened. It’s just more known now because everyone has cameras now. It may be that there are just a few bad cops, but the “good” cops cover for them. This makes the whole bunch rotten.

• I have an opinion - Red - love to hear your thoughts - I believe that LEO has been vilified and treated so poorly that many of the trained, excellent officers have retired or just quit moving on to other professions. With becoming a LEO not being very appealing anymore PD’s have had to lower their standards just to put something patrolling the streets. Same here as in all business - quality people makes for quality service. Unfortunately we may be beginning to see the results of the opposite.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Growing up, I personally know of friends being taken in by the police. They were perfectly fine when they got in the police car but when they reached the police station, they were beat all to hell. If the police departments would have taken care of bad cops properly, there wouldn’t be so much hate towards all cops today.

• Growing up, I personally know of friends being taken in by the police. They were perfectly fine when they got in the police car but when they reached the police station, they were beat all to hell. If the police departments would have taken care of bad cops properly, there wouldn’t be so much hate towards all cops today.

I have heard these fractured fairy tales all my life.

Most people I know including myself never had an issue if we kept our mouth shut and did what we were told...

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• I have an opinion - Red - love to hear your thoughts - I believe that LEO has been vilified and treated so poorly that many of the trained, excellent officers have retired or just quit moving on to other professions. With becoming a LEO not being very appealing anymore PD’s have had to lower their standards just to put something patrolling the streets. Same here as in all business - quality people makes for quality service. Unfortunately we may be beginning to see the results of the opposite.

It's already at a critical level country wide. Our local PD (the one I retired from) is down 39 officers of a 134 positions. Our minimum patrol staff was 9 district officers and 2 supervisors per shift with most days having over 9 plus traffic. Now normal shifts have 5 & 2. They have stopped answering routine calls and only handle priorities.

Pay is up and going higher but they can't get applicants. The majority of the ones they get wouldn't have been considered ten to fifteen years ago. Those that make it through the process don't stay. I believe it's a combination of things. The younger generation don't want to work especially if it means starting at the bottom. The vilification of law enforcement and glorification of criminals has made the environment toxic. The only way to survive is to de-police. You only get in trouble if you have contacts so you only make the contacts you can't avoid. It's led to higher crime rates and crash fatalities (they don't have time or motivation to enforce traffic law). It's going to get worse and even if it swings back the other way it will take decades to rebuild a functional force.

My biggest concern is for those too weak or poor to take care of themselves. The rich can hire private security and those with the means will arm and defend themselves. Everybody else pays the price.

PS

Retirements are through the roof including those quitting before the can draw. They'll start drawing when they hit 55 but find jobs outside of law enforcement until then.

Edited once, last by Red ().

• I have heard these fractured fairy tales all my life.

Most people I know including myself never had an issue if we kept our mouth shut and did what we were told...

Not fairy tales. This is why people, especially of color, are advised to turn on the video recording anytime they have any interactions with a cop now.

• People in all kinds of professions face that. My daughter is a nurse and she has to carry malpractice insurance for that. Cops can, and should too.

AS an officer I paid for legal insurance out of my pocket as most do.

Do you also believe it should be ended for all government worker? It might be interesting to see what judges do without it.

• AS an officer I paid for legal insurance out of my pocket as most do.

Do you also believe it should be ended for all government worker? It might be interesting to see what judges do without it.

As cops should. Then qualified immunity isn’t needed. I believe no one should be shielded from law suites. The average Joe isn’t.

• just a kicker - if they do away with qualified immunity - get ready for the Old West cause NOBODY will want to get sued for doing their job !!!

Why should those 3 cops in Arkansas be shielded from law suites for beating that guy? If you or I beat someone, you can bet your ass we wouldn’t be shielded.

• I suspect the guy really pissed the cops off. You know tackling a cop and punching him in the back of the head isn't a good idea if you want to be treated right. We are also seeing only what the media wants us to see. I some of these situations adrenalin is running high and emotions take over. A high speed chase will do the same I been told. It is not right but these LEOs have to deal with some real scumbags.

If the music is to loud you are to old.