The thermal club

• one of the many country clubs here in the valley is The Thermal Club. Unlike the other clubs that are built around golf courses this one is built around auto race tracks. One of these days I hope to meet someone who owns a home here who will let me take my slingshot in as their guest. Other than that the only other way I know of to drive there would be to sign up for the bmw driving school that uses the tracks. Still even if I can’t use the tracks I think it’s much cooler than a golf course

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• Golf courses are not dumb they are one of the beauties of nature.

well, around here they waste ungodly amounts of water which as I suspect you know is not a good thing

• But the people who patronize the business pays for that. The business makes a profit and the people are entertained. It's called capitalism and that's a good thing.

it’s not a matter of paying for the water, the problem is this is a desert and so California has been in drought for a long time and running out of water. And this drives up the price for everyone, even those who never play golf. Seriously, I am not allowed to water my yard in the daylight hours I can be fined if I do. Yet we have tons of golf courses most of which are not even open to the public watering the grass all the time. Because it’s over 110 degrees every single day and if they don’t the grass will die

• I would say that watering "all the time" is a far stretch. Hard to play a round of golf, especially at a private club when the sprinklers are going off around you.....plus watering during the extreme heat, it dissipates quicker into the air than soaking into the soil, which is why most courses water early morning or evening.

https://cagolf.org/how-califor…water-during-the-drought/

• it’s not a matter of paying for the water, the problem is this is a desert and so California has been in drought for a long time and running out of water. And this drives up the price for everyone, even those who never play golf. Seriously, I am not allowed to water my yard in the daylight hours I can be fined if I do. Yet we have tons of golf courses most of which are not even open to the public watering the grass all the time. Because it’s over 110 degrees every single day and if they don’t the grass will die

we actually have over 130 golf courses in the Palm Springs area

https://www.google.com/search?…-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Wow. 130 courses is a lot. There must be thousands of golfers using them, but you don't golf so it's a waste. Meanwhile you have a pool in your backyard that I would guess might be used by a dozen people but that's not a waste. Can't agree with you on this Ed.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Wow. 130 courses is a lot. There must be thousands of golfers using them, but you don't golf so it's a waste. Meanwhile you have a pool in your backyard that I would guess might be used by a dozen people but that's not a waste. Can't agree with you on this Ed.

its a waste of water - - that is pretty much a fact - - grass is not natural or native here in the desert - - they wont even let people install lawns in new homes because they say we dont have the water

the entire point of this thread is simply to point out that out of the over 130 private high end country clubs there is one that offers something different, something for those of us that love to drive - - - I like the idea and yes I would much rather spend a day at the track with my Slingshot than to spend a day playing golf - - but hey, if you love golf thats great God Bless you, I just thought it was neat that there is an option that doesnt waste water thats fun for lovers of motorsports.

As a side note I find it interesting that you dont care about the water being wasted by over 130 golf courses being built in a desert most of which are so private that the public cant even play on them. - - - I guess you dont have to import water where you live like we do here.

• I don't consider it waste. Tens of thousands play golf and spend a LOT of money doing so or you wouldn't have one golf course, let alone 130. Your attitude would be different if you golfed. And if your government didn't plan for the water usage and allowed expansion beyond capacity, that's on them, not the golf courses or people with lawns or POOLS. How necessary is a pool? Sure, it's a nice amenity in the heat but you could have one community pool that serves hundreds (and you probably do). Honestly, I find your attitude selfish.

SlingLow out!

• I don't consider it waste. Tens of thousands play golf and spend a LOT of money doing so or you wouldn't have one golf course, let alone 130. Your attitude would be different if you golfed. And if your government didn't plan for the water usage and allowed expansion beyond capacity, that's on them, not the golf courses or people with lawns or POOLS. How necessary is a pool? Sure, it's a nice amenity in the heat but you could have one community pool that serves hundreds (and you probably do). Honestly, I find your attitude selfish.

SlingLow out!

the vast majority of the 130 courses here are private and owned by the homeowners and limited to use by the owners and their guests only - they dont charge them a fee to play - its their little playground just like this racetrack is the playground of those home owners.

So you dont consider it a waste of water to use something that is being rationed to the general population to keep a playground for few green for them to play on - - - - just curious are you even aware of the Colorado river water shortage and the fact that farmers are having to leave foals fallow because they dont have enough water? - - think about that - food not being produced because of a lack of watering its in part because that water is watering grass for rich people to play on

Personally I think growing food is more important that keeping a bunch of private golf courses green. I would rather they let the golf courses all dry up and let those people play on the public courses like the rest of us and give that water to the farmers

But you have made your priorities clear - private golf courses for a few are more important than affordable food and water for the general public

Feds paying farmers not to plant fields to save water - - so you think a game is more important - wow!

• As a side note I know of golf courses that have been built in other locations that are great. There is one up in our local mountains that doesnt even have an irrigation system installed. Stays beautiful all spring and summer from the natural rainfall and water from the winter snowpack - - - I just dont think putting over 130 huge fields of grass that requires large amounts of water here in the middle of the lower desert where total annual rainfall is around 5 inches or less when we are having a huge shortage of water in our imported water supply is an inteligent decision

seriously, if you had to pay for the water, or go without water would you actually choose the desert as the best place to build a playground for a limited few people to enjoy that would use that much water and take water away from everyone else that lives there?

Really?

• Not even close! I know a lot, and don't think I'm less knowledable than you. Of course food is more important than golf. Do not insult me! You don't have to kill golf courses to grow food. You can do both. I'm sick and tired of this California attitude and I sure hope it stays in Cali. To think that one private citizen can condemn an entire industry is laughable and ridiculous. You sir, are an idiot (uh oh, resorted to name calling).

I know you'll beat this to death if I continue to respond so can someone please tell me how to block a member? Asking for me.

• Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

• Not even close! I know a lot, and don't think I'm less knowledable than you. Of course food is more important than golf. Do not insult me! You don't have to kill golf courses to grow food. You can do both. I'm sick and tired of this California attitude and I sure hope it stays in Cali. To think that one private citizen can condemn an entire industry is laughable and ridiculous. You sir, are an idiot (uh oh, resorted to name calling).

I know you'll beat this to death if I continue to respond so can someone please tell me how to block a member? Asking for me.

and that my friend is exactly my point, we cant do both, there isn't enough water here in Southern California. But there is no point in arguing, you like golf, and thats fantastic. so as Spock would say - "live long and prosper"

oh and I am not condemning any industry, just trying to point out a country club here in the desert that I think is very cool that has a feature, race tracks, that seemed that people into the Slingshot might find interesting - - after all this is a vehicle forum, not a golf forum

anyway - end of discussion - - go play golf and have a great day

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• Golf courses are not dumb they are one of the beauties of nature.

nothing "natural" about planting grass in a desert

• Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL