VPN Connections for your computer

• VPN is a virtual private network. It shields you by creating a virtual network that is used for internet browsing.

Definition... VPN stands for “virtual private network” — a service that protects your internet connection and privacy online. It creates an encrypted tunnel for your data, protects your online identity by hiding your IP address, and allows you to use public Wi-Fi hotspots safely.

If you use public hot spots (free wifi) from places you go to like Starbucks, McDonalds... and places like that and are worried about you private data... it may be worth it... For home use of wifi.. I personally would say no, it is not worth it.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• For 95% of most home users - a VPN is not a requirement.

No one is 'hacking' or 'sniffing the traffic' of a basic PC user.

If you have some vital, private, or information that others would want - sure you could use one.

Here is a detailed write up on all the different kinds of VPNs and how they work. Keep in mind - many different VPNs are used in the world.

I set up my home LAN, for my wife and I to work, and I connect over my employers VPN to work - this keeps all my work traffic encrypted inside our corporate tunnel. I also separate all traffic within my LAN on VLANs so our work traffic never shares a tunnel within my house.

If you would like to get in a more detailed conversation at layer 2 and 3 around different VPN styles or how/why they are different - I am happy to do in to greater detail.

.::. Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it .::.