Radio head unit no BS please

• Please do not respond if you do not have direct experience with replacing a head unit on a 2015-17 sling. Is there anyone who has replaced the oem head unit with an aftermarket unit that fits in the oem opening that can be read in sunlight? I installed the Boss head unit which is useless in yhe sunlight. Some may say impossible. But I've ridden Honda Goldwings for 30 years and there displays can be read in direct sunlight.

• I don’t know of any “high contrast” double din head unit.

The biggest problem is the angle of the dash. It makes the head unit a perfect mirror for inspecting the sun.

Things that help with double din decks is:

• Scosche mounting kit. This kit changes the angle of the radio and does reduce, not eliminate, the reflection of the sun.
    • Install a matte screen protector. Any generic matte protector from Amazon can be cut to fit your screen. Same as above. It won’t eliminate but, it helps quite a bit.
    • Combine both of above.

I scrapped a traditional head unit and went with a 10” floating screen and a custom mount setup. The screen is close to vertical so, no sun reflection at all. I also added a matte screen protector just to reduce overall reflection. I can see my screen clearly in full sunshine.

• Have the matt screen sitting waiting to be installed and I did use the Scosche double din. Thx for reply. Frankie55 will be going to ssits and seeing what others have. Hopefully he will find something.

:thumbup:... Never thought of a matte anti glare shield. mpj220 thanks for the tip. Please inform when you install if it helps even a little would be a good thing.

• :thumbup:... Never thought of a matte anti glare shield. mpj220 thanks for the tip. Please inform when you install if it helps even a little would be a good thing.

I use this one and cut it down to size.

The nice thing, you get two and......they are big enough that you can screw up 3 times and still have enough left for a 4th try.

I use the "wet" method to install. just spritz the screen protector with a bit of water and squeegee it on. I found that to give perfect result without trapping air bubbles.

Even if there are air bubbles, I have peeled it off, washed it with water/dish soap. Then re-installed it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0792M2ZV5/

• I run 5 Humminbird and Garmin 12" displays on my Bass/crappie boat and the antiglare screens are a big help. Not prefect but like mentioned the angle you are viewing them helps a lot. I have a 2020 R and I can't see the dash digital speed read out so have to get that from my GPS phone app.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• On order, thanks!

• Just installed the anti glare. Helps but not perfect. Hate the bubbles but better to be able to see the screen somewhat. Still waiting for someone that installed a head unit in oem opening that you can read in direct sunlight. I do don't want to spend $$$$ unless I sure it's readable in sunlight.

• Just installed the anti glare. Helps but not perfect. Hate the bubbles but better to be able to see the screen somewhat. Still waiting for someone that installed a head unit in oem opening that you can read in direct sunlight. I do don't want to spend $$$$ unless I sure it's readable in sunlight.

Just a thought... Polaris Slingshot Dash Mount Cup Holders with Sun Visor (slingmods.com) 

• Possible, if it covers the (useless) but stylish visor integrated with the face unit? Previously I had this visor and it helped immensely but also concealed some functions away from view. Going to try the matte shield first. For my taste I think the matte shield will pass. When I get time to dig into the boxes of aftermarket stuff from previously owned motorcycles (we all have them) :) I'll give it a go and inform.

But I'm with VV11B40 Many motorcycles come with units you can read in direct sunlight.

Try installing the screen protector using the wet method.

My first few attempts dry gave me a number of trapped bubbles. Some from just trapped dust, some just because.

I clean the screen real good with isopropyl alcohol. I use the little fabric that came with the screen protector to wipe it dry. That thing seems to attract and trap dust/lint.

Spritz the back of the screen protector and use something like a plastic squeegee to chase the bubbles out. I use a plastic putty knife and that little fabric wipe. The water method really helps this. I ended up with zero bubbles.

You can peel it off and wash it with dish soap and water.

• Best use for a "credit card", smooth out the screen protector using the wet method.