Heat solutions

• Heat seems to be a common topic in the forum, so I thought I would summarize some of the solutions. The physics is simple. To reduce your cabin temperature, you either need to reduce the magnitude of the sources of heat into the cabin or you need to increase the loss of heat from the cabin. Replacing the muffler, adding shielding or insulation, blocking holes in the firewall, adding a hood vent, adding a top are examples of reducing the magnitude of the sources. Mixing in cooler air via vent tubes, wind wings, fans, different (or no) windshields are examples of increasing the loss of heat from the cabin. No one has done a systematic study of which of these various techniques is most cost effective, and every location has different needs (someone in Minnesota will have less need for cooling the cabin than someone in Miami). Further, each technique has pros and cons. Many have side effects to consider (e.g., does the Polaris heat management system cause thermal stress on the engine, does opening the hood vent allow rain to wreck havoc on the engine, how much wind can you stand in the cabin, how difficult to install, does it worsen or enhance the SS appearance, etc.). Of course, the costs of each of these techniques varies wildly; some are dirt cheap while others cost thousands.

It is important to remember that most of us have seasons, and the added heat will be a blessing for half the year. Thus, approaches that can be easily altered might be good for those folks so they get cooler in summer and warmer in winter; things like wind wings, hood vents, tops, windshields. Floor mats and hood vents have the added bonus of enhancing appearance.

If anyone is interested in any of these approaches, just use the search feature. I've seen 3 different wind wings; several different vent tubes, several fan options; 4 different windshield options; several tops to consider; many options for shielding or insulation.