Crossing Lake Michigan

• For anyone planning on crossing Lake Michigan on the Lake Express Ferry be sure to buy your vehicle pass as an "Auto". I just returned from a trip around the lake starting by crossing from Milwaukee to Muskegon on the Lake Express Ferry. Before I bought advance tickets I emailed and told them I had a Polaris Slingshot which is a reverse "Trike" and that in Wisconsin it would be registered as a motorcycle, being from Illinois it is registered as an "Autocycle" and not wanting to have any problems I inquired how I should buy the ticket which is $101 for an auto and $66 for a trike. I received a reply that said "if it has 3 wheels here at Lake Express it is a trike". Needless to say, during the boarding process I was stopped and they didn't want to board the Slingshot as a trike, fortunately I had printed out the email with response. After conferring with several other people they let me on as an auto for the price I paid for a trike. It was a full ferry so there was actually a mini van that didn't make it into the auto deck and was lashed to the back open area for the crossing. The ferry was a great experience in itself. Very nice crossing and only took 2-1/2 hrs and NO TRAFFIC, kind of pricey as passengers are $91 each but it was part of the adventure. Motorcycles are parked along the edge of the auto deck and I can't see how any regular trike could fit anyway. There is very little room to squeeze between a cycle and car as it is and trikes are wider anyway. We hugged to coast of Lake Michigan from Muskegon to Mackinaw City seeing some beautiful scenery along the way, over the straights of Mackinaw bridge stopping for a trip to Mackinac Island for a day then along hwy 2 hugging the coast into Wisconsin. A great trip if you've never done it, very scenic all the way.

4 Wheels move the body, 3 Wheels move the soul!