Gibbs Rule #9

• when it comes to the different steels I think which one is best depends a great deal on where you plan on using it and what you favor. For instance to me one of my favorites is the S90V which has one of the highest ratings there is for edge retention at a 9, its toughness is only a 3.5 and its corrosion resistance falls at a decent 7.5. The MagnaCut on the other hand isn't as high on the edge retention at a 5, but is almost perfect with a 9.5 on corrosion resistance - living in the desert as I do I do not worry very much about corrosion like others who live in higher humidity areas might. Frankly I highly suspect that any of the Powdered metallurgy super steels are all much better than the more common steels that we grew up with and that we are picking nits when we choose between them. I actually suspect that for a person like me the differences between a CPM-154 and the MagnaCut or S90v are not going to make any huge differences with the possible exception of sharpening which from what I have read can be a bit more difficult and require better sharpening materials like diamond for the tougher steels - which is which is why I will probably return my Spyderco with the s90 blade to Spyderco for their free sharpening when the time comes

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Well, my new Lionsteel L.E. one karambit arrived yesterday and all I have to say is that this thing is a beast. The Magnacut blade is huge and as thick as most fixed blade knives. compared to my Fox knives 802, picture above in my hand. this thing is a sickle - you could remove limbs with this thing, and I love it

here is a quick snap I just took with it next to the 802 for a size comparison =O

and the red matches my Slingshot :thumbsup:

• Installed carbon fiber scales on my new PM 2. I really liked the G 10 scales but these are growing in me - now I got my eye on a Spyderco Smock - I just LOVE Spides

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Installed carbon fiber scales on my new PM 2. I really liked the G 10 scales but these are growing in me - now I got my eye on a Spyderco Smock - I just LOVE Spides

very nice, I also am fond of the spiders - been thinking it might be nice to pick up a karahawk, but they are a bit pricy and the blade steel is rather average. at the price I would prefer if it had CPM S90V rather than the base VG10

here is a link to it on the side site - they say discontinued but its still out there to be had fro around $260 - which as I said still seem rather high

KaraHawk

• I'm also very fond of the Spyderco Yojimbo 2

• got to say, from a self defence perspective I still think my Spyderco Matriarch is the most frightening, that S hook seated blade is downright wicked

But from an EDC point of view I tend to favor the smaller Fox Knives 802

• and of course my little Kershaw Launch 10 automatic is my smallest and most discreet easily fitting in the little 5th pocket. and the damn thing is scary sharp

only about three inches closed

• And just for fun a size comparison between the Lionsteel L.E.O.N and the Kershaw Launch 10.

pretty much a hatchet vs an exacto knife

• I just want to make a recommendation here for anyone thinking of buying a good knife. I highly recommend Knivesshipfree.com their prices are as good as I have found anywhere and their shipping is fantastic, not only is it free, but it is incredibly fast. seriously every time I have placed an order I have received shipping confirmation in under an hour after the order is placed with the only exception being for orders placed after their business hours or on weekends, Also I like that they do not charge sales tax when you place your order

anyway I found no other site that ships as quickly and no other site with better prices

knivesshipfree.com

• I just want to make a recommendation here for anyone thinking of buying a good knife. I highly recommend Knivesshipfree.com their prices are as good as I have found anywhere and their shipping is fantastic, not only is it free, but it is incredibly fast. seriously every time I have placed an order I have received shipping confirmation in under an hour after the order is placed with the only exception being for orders placed after their business hours or on weekends, Also I like that they do not charge sales tax when you place your order

anyway I found no other site that ships as quickly and no other site with better prices

knivesshipfree.com

Got in my Spydie Smock today - I’m already addicted to flipping it. I shopped high and low -knives for free and is was $228. I used to buy a lot from Optics Planet back when I hunted a lot. They always had VERY competitive prices. Bought my Smock for $187 plus free 2 day shipping. Thanks for the tip - never checked them out before !!

• Got in my Spydie Smock today - I’m already addicted to flipping it. I shopped high and low -knives for free and is was $228. I used to buy a lot from Optics Planet back when I hunted a lot. They always had VERY competitive prices. Bought my Smock for $187 plus free 2 day shipping. Thanks for the tip - never checked them out before !!

nice actually reminds me of my benchmade Griptilian - only benchmade I own and actually got it because it looks like a Spyderco knife

• actually just compared the specs of the Smock and my griptilian and they are pretty close - here is a side by side Smock on the left

of course the biggest difference would be the scales - your smock came with what look to be nice CF scales the scales on my griptilian were plastic (which I switched to aluminum)

• I’d like to get titanium scales - backspacer for my Smock - those add ons will be more than the knife - hard for me to get past that 😬

yes I must agree, some of these aftermarket scales are very overpriced in my view, and having said this I think going to heaver metal scales would be a downgrade from carbon fiber. As to how do I like my Griptilian? its okay, but if I had to do it again there are other knives I like better, really like the lock that benchmade uses, but now that the paten has run out other knives that are much better prices are also using it - personally I thought about a buyout, but opted for the Kershaw Belair instead - much better price and it has a magnaCut blade and its on bearings so a great fidget knife - Kershaw Bel Air

• here are my two knives that are my bug out options, both Kershaw, on the left the Iridium and on the right the Bel Air, the Iridium is much cheeper, but the blade is only D2 where as the Bel Air is MagnaCut (they do make a high end version of the Iridium with Carbon fiber scales and an M390 steel blade, but I already have the Bel Air so no real point in getting that now

both of these have aluminum scales and the blade are on pivot bearings, very flippy knives for playing :thumbsup:

• here are my two knives that are my bug out options, both Kershaw, on the left the Iridium and on the right the Bel Air, the Iridium is much cheeper, but the blade is only D2 where as the Bel Air is MagnaCut (they do make a high end version of the Iridium with Carbon fiber scales and an M390 steel blade, but I already have the Bel Air so no real point in getting that now

both of these have aluminum scales and the blade are on pivot bearings, very flippy knives for playing :thumbsup:

I like the Bel Air quite a bit - seems like a better option than the Benchmade -plus I don’t have a knife with the MagnaCut steel which makes this a bargain IMO

• this is way out of league price wise, but I do have to say it is one of the prettiest folding knives I have ever seen - Benchmade gold class