Porter Halyburton

• An interesting evening. @sideseatdriver and I were fortunate to be able to attend a dinner this evening, at which the guest speaker was a gentleman by the name of Porter Halyburton. He was shot down over Vietnam early in the war, and spent over seven years as a POW in various camps. He spoke to us this evening about his experience, some of the lessons he learned, and some of the stories that helped shape not only his time in captivity but also the rest of his life. We also had the opportunity to meet his wife Marty, who he was married to prior to the war, and with whom he had a daughter who was born 5 days before he left for the war. He told some very amusing and also some very touching stories, shared some of his poetry that he wrote in captivity, and some other memories, and he moved me pretty deeply.

There is a book about him and a fellow prisoner by the name of Fred Cherry, called "Two Souls Indivisible." I have not read it yet, but I will be doing so, and from those I have talked to who have read the book, it is very highly recommended. For anyone who has an interest in history, or this sort of reading, I will tentatively recommend it as well, and will you know when I have finished reading.

If you ever have the chance to hear him speak....so it. You won't regret the time spent.