The joys of building on a mountainside

• We have been working on our cabin for about 2 years most of the exterior renovations are done but with a bunch of inside work to do I needed a place to work. Lets face it no home is complete without a man cave. How hard could it be to build a 30' x 30' shop with a second floor storage area on the side of a 2500' mountain? All you need is a good foundation. Easy right - not so much

Here is a quick overview from start to finish

Fun Facts

1- over 900 cinder blocks

2- over 90 yards of concrete

3- 130 pieces of 20 ' long Rebar

4- 20 Truck loads of dirt

5- the back retaining wall is 13' high

Lumber and erosion mats delivered yesterday

Next week I have an erection!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• MACAWS ay first glance , I'm going, there's no way we'd ever fill that high inside a block wall . then I noticed double thick , wow . We.ve never thought of that here lol

It's not double - used 12" block for all but the top 2 courses which are 8" - that left a ledge for the pad.

The guys that pumped concrete ti fill it were friggin dare devils no way I would do that and the wind was blowing at 20mph +

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I know several guys who would not take that job. It's harder than it looks and it looks hard. Looks like you've got it dialed in though MACAWS . Looking forward to pics of your erection (yeah, I said that).

I went to the lumber store the other day and told the guy, 'I need some 4 by 2s'. He said, you mean 2 by 4s'? I said, Yeah, yeah, 2 by 4s'. He asked, 'How long do you need 'em'? I said, 'For a really long time. We're building a house'!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I know several guys who would not take that job. It's harder than it looks and it looks hard. Looks like you've got it dialed in though MACAWS . Looking forward to pics of your erection (yeah, I said that).

I went to the lumber store the other day and told the guy, 'I need some 4 by 2s'. He said, you mean 2 by 4s'? I said, Yeah, yeah, 2 by 4s'. He asked, 'How long do you need 'em'? I said, 'For a really long time. We're building a house'!

I don't know about the pricing where you live, but the price around here is way up on 2 x 4's

Thanks - it's been a challenge to get equipment up the mountain and material cost are insane. The job has double in cost since I started but I do not see any relief coming soon so I am pushing ahead. That and the fact that contractors in the mountains have their own concept of time I still have a long haul

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I don't know about the pricing where you live, but the price around here is way up on 2 x 4's

Try buying 2x6 - that what we are using to frame. But I still have a kidney I can sell when it comes time for shingles.

I am finishing the building in log siding to match the house - and I think they mixed up the phone number with the price

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Ya know I've always wondered from being up in the smokies so often how they build some of those cabins. I've made some climbs where a car seemed sketchy. More power to ya. I guess you motivated me to find a way to build my Wife's barn on level ground and quit making excuses.

• Yep, and everyone needs to get it if your insurance pays for it.

I WAS going to get the Shingrix vaccine until I googled it.

Now I will have to think about it.

Rare

• Ankle, knee, or great toe joint pain
    • blindness
    • blurred vision
    • decreased vision
    • eye pain
    • fever greater than 39 degree Celsius
    • joint stiffness or swelling
    • lower back or side pain
    • swollen, painful, or tender lymph glands in the neck, armpit, or groin

Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention

More common

• Diarrhea
    • difficulty in moving
    • fever
    • headache
    • muscle aches, cramps, pains, or stiffness
    • nausea
    • pain, redness, and swelling at the injection site
    • shivering
    • stomach pain
    • unusual tiredness or weakness
    • vomiting

Less common

• Chills
    • dizziness
    • general feeling of discomfort or illness
    • itching at the injection site

Local

Very common (10% or more): Local pain (88.4%), local redness (38.7%)

Common (1% to 10%): Injection site pruritus[Ref]

Other

Very common (10% or more): Fatigue (57%), shivering (35.8%), fever (27.8%)

Common (1% to 10%): Malaise

Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Death[Ref]

Deaths were reported for 0.8% of patients in the treatment group during the first year after vaccination versus 0.9% of placebo patients. Causes of death were consistent with those generally reported in adult and elderly populations.[Ref]

Nervous system

Very common (10% or more): Headache (50.6%)

Common (1% to 10%): Dizziness[Ref]

Gastrointestinal

Very common (10% or more): Gastrointestinal symptoms (24.3%)

Common (1% to 10%): Nausea[Ref]

Metabolic

Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Gout (including gouty arthritis)[Ref]

Ocular

Rare (less than 0.1%): Optic ischemic neuropathy[Ref]

Hematologic

Very rare (less than 0.01%): Lymphadenitis[Ref]

Musculoskeletal

Very common (10% or more): Myalgia (56.9%)

Common (1% to 10%): Chills, arthralgia[Ref]

References

1. "Product Information. Shingrix (zoster vaccine, inactivated)." GlaxoSmithKline, Research Triangle Park, NC.

Sounds like the same warning I got from a Nun right about age 10 .........

........... confused-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......