Poll: How far would you travel for a SlingShot dealer?

• How far would you travel to get to your nearest dealer? ​ 25

1. Less than 25 miles (3) 12%
    2. 25 miles (3) 12%
    3. 50 miles (6) 24%
    4. 75 miles (2) 8%
    5. 100 miles (8) 32%
    6. 200 miles (3) 12%
    7. Further than 200 miles, ( please then share your limit?) (0) 0%

Today we need to travel 250 miles to put an eyeball on a new SlingShot and for service. Frankly, if we did not already own a SlingShot we would not travel that far today for a selling/servicing dealer. If you were interested in a SlingShot today, how far would you travel to get to your nearest dealer?

• wjfyfe

Changed the title of the thread from “How far would you travel for a SlingShot dealer?” to “Poll: How far would you travel for a SlingShot dealer?”.
  • There are lots of Teslas around here and the closest service is in Tulsa, OK, 120 miles away. People are willing to travel considerable distances for service to get the vehicle they want. I do most of my own work on our Slings (and others too) partially so I don’t have to pay dealer rates. Of course I also do the work (except for warranty or recalls) on my other vehicles so I don’t get gouged by dealers.

• A secondary part of this question, unfortunately which really cannot be answered adequately here, would be potentially how many more SlingShots would Polaris sell if they just made it more practical for smaller volume dealers to continue to sell and service the SlingShot so folks wouldn't have to travel nearly so far?

Bill

• its not all that far to my dealer options. the dealer where I bought my Slingshot is is about 55 miles away and there is another dealer even closer that I may try for service if needed in the future that is about 27 miles away and there is even a third option if needed that is about 43 miles away in Temecula - - having said this I have always avoided going to dealers for service as much as possible - the prices they charge for things I can do myself are way too much in my opinion

so anyway to answer your question I guess under 100 miles would be my answer and that is because that's how far my AAA motorcycle endorsement will tow my slingshot for free if it does need to go to the dealer - - - if my slingshot is running and can reliably go 100 miles then it probably doesn't need to see the dealer I will instead come on this site and with the help of my friends here figure out how to fix it myself

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• OK, the servicing side of seeing a dealer is getting covered pretty well from those that are mechanically inclined, that is great and keep giving the opinions. For those folks that are not so inclined, who would depend on the dealer, or other shop, what are your thoughts? And what about if you just wanted to check out a SlingShot to purchase, how close would the dealer have to be then?

Bill

• My dealer of choice is 120 miles (around the city of Chicago) one way. All service and oil changes. Nielsen Ent, Lake Villa, IL one of the TOP dealers in the USA in sales and service. There are several closer but for me it's worth the trip. 4 or 5 times a year. Go up to some of the open houses and give people a ride in my Slingshot.

• Fortunate to have an excellent dealer and service about 35 miles away. However if they ever gave up it would 150 miles to another dealer and some of their customers drive over here for service. So that tells me what kind of dealer they are.

• OK, the servicing side of seeing a dealer is getting covered pretty well from those that are mechanically inclined, that is great and keep giving the opinions. For those folks that are not so inclined, who would depend on the dealer, or other shop, what are your thoughts? And what about if you just wanted to check out a SlingShot to purchase, how close would the dealer have to be then?

Bill

A selling dealer I will drive and have 200 miles to get a good deal. Saving $3000 was worth it. That said service is very important. First off if the service is competent and professional then what you need done will determine where and how far you go. For warranty work you have no options, the dealer is it. For routine maintenance like an oil change that can be done at a GM dealership or other TRUSTED lub place for 19's and older. You can also check with motorcycle shops to see what they can offer some may be willing to mess with it. Thank goodness we don't have a shortage of dealers here, it's just some are better than others depending on what you need done. I would recommend that if you are going to have to take that SS out of town then call the dealers service dept and talk with them. See if you can check references and referrals before you travel.

Jamesgn

• One thing I will say that I like about my 2016 is the fact that it has the old school GM Ecotec motor - - - yes, it may not be as new and fancy or high revving as the new Polaris motor, but finding parts and people who know how to work on it is something that is fairly easy and makes dealer visits more of an optional choice.

As a side note- - can someone tell me if the manual transmission used with the new Polaris motor is still a GM product or is that now made by Polaris as well?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• When shopping, for me I shop service and than price. Every motorcycle I bought I bought thru the service department. If the service department isn't going to take care of you why should the dealership get the monies up front? For me that has and is working very well. For the Slingshot I travel 120 miles for the oil change.