Novelty Helmets

• I know there is another thread specifically about helmets and I do own more than one and I do almost always wear one when I'm in the Slingshot.

What I want to ask about here in this thread is specifically about Non-DOT novelty helmets

I was thinking it might be nice to have one of these to use for this short trips to the store or evening cruses at night downtown - times where I would be driving fairly slowly and not at risk of road debris being kicked up - - times when I would love to wear a ball cap but don't want to attract attention of the LEO's that I am not wearing a helmet.

Do any of you use a novelty helmet for times went the law says you should have a helmet but you don't want the weight and bulk of a DOT helmet?

Just curious to hear what people who actually have used novelty helmets think of them, Also if you do use one is there any specific one you would recommend?

I was looking at this one from Daytona - I have one of their DOT helmets so I know how their sizing works and I like the fit - - Daytona Eagle

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I know here where the debate rages on whether you do or do not have to wear a helmet I have had this exact conversation with the multiple leo's that have pulled me over. After those conversations I would not have a novelty helmet with me at any point. I choose not to wear a helmet here but I do keep one with me incase I'm pulled over and the officer feels differently. I've never been ticketed the multiple times I've been stopped because I'm respectful and we spend more time discussing the slingshot. However during those discussions they told me they have stopped people before with non dot helmets. Each one has told me that an individual would get in a lot more trouble for having a novelty helmet on than no helmet at all. So for that reason I've never even considered getting a novelty helmet. I'd rather just be honest with my stance than to chance getting pulled over and trying to seem like I was trying to get one over on law enforcement.

• I know here where the debate rages on whether you do or do not have to wear a helmet I have had this exact conversation with the multiple leo's that have pulled me over. After those conversations I would not have a novelty helmet with me at any point. I choose not to wear a helmet here but I do keep one with me incase I'm pulled over and the officer feels differently. I've never been ticketed the multiple times I've been stopped because I'm respectful and we spend more time discussing the slingshot. However during those discussions they told me they have stopped people before with non dot helmets. Each one has told me that an individual would get in a lot more trouble for having a novelty helmet on than no helmet at all. So for that reason I've never even considered getting a novelty helmet. I'd rather just be honest with my stance than to chance getting pulled over and trying to seem like I was trying to get one over on law enforcement.

good point - - I can see where wearing a novelty helmet would be taken as evidence that you knew a helmet was required if you were pulled over

on the other hand would you even be pulled over in the first place?

not sure how obvious it would be in passing that the helmet was non-DOT

Had a friend who lived in New Mexico who used to ride his Harley all over the country - and whenever he came to visit family in California he always used a novelty helmet - he hated the helmet laws and that was as close as he would ever get to complying - - he always said that he had never been ticketed for it

• I'm sure they would have a lot more experience picking it out on someone passing by than I would. But I've never heard of someone with a helmet getting questioned while stopped and made to prove if it was dot approved or not either. I know the novelty helmets I was looking at when I first started out in the slingshot sat really really low. That's what attracted me to them but also may be what makes them noticeable passing by. I don't like the mushroom top look of the half shell(among other things but mainly focusing on looks for this conversation). I think what I have now is a skid lid which when I was looking was advertised as the most low profile available and still meet dot standards. Now the motorcycle cops seem to stop me more than anyone so I would think they would naturally pick it out quicker than an officer not accustomed to bikes but again just my assumptions.

• I'm sure they would have a lot more experience picking it out on someone passing by than I would. But I've never heard of someone with a helmet getting questioned while stopped and made to prove if it was dot approved or not either. I know the novelty helmets I was looking at when I first started out in the slingshot sat really really low. That's what attracted me to them but also may be what makes them noticeable passing by. I don't like the mushroom top look of the half shell(among other things but mainly focusing on looks for this conversation). I think what I have now is a skid lid which when I was looking was advertised as the most low profile available and still meet dot standards. Now the motorcycle cops seem to stop me more than anyone so I would think they would naturally pick it out quicker than an officer not accustomed to bikes but again just my assumptions.

I would think the big thing a LEO might spot would be the lack of the DOT sticker on the back of the helmet - - riding on a 2 wheel motorcycle this would be very easy to see by anyone coming up behind you - - - - on the other hand sitting down as we do in the Slingshot this would be almost impossible to spot without really being motivated - - probably much more motivated than the average LEO would be unless you were violating some other laws that attracted the LEO's attention

as I said in my OP for running out to the store or just cruising our little downtown area I really don't think our local police are that focused on helmet violations - - heck almost all of the local motorcycle officers have gotten so accustomed to me that they often wave at me before I can get my hand up to wave at them ( I always wave at LEO's to show my support)

• It's a common practice to buy a DOT sticker and put it on your novelty helmet. If things go well during a traffic stop it probably won't come up but if they don't, THE COPS HAVE SEEN IT ALL. Not what I would choose but many feel that a helmet is an infringement on their freedom and will go to great lengths to feel that they are reestablishing it by using the dinkiest helmet they can find.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I would think the big thing a LEO might spot would be the lack of the DOT sticker on the back of the helmet - - riding on a 2 wheel motorcycle this would be very easy to see by anyone coming up behind you - - - - on the other hand sitting down as we do in the Slingshot this would be almost impossible to spot without really being motivated - - probably much more motivated than the average LEO would be unless you were violating some other laws that attracted the LEO's attention

as I said in my OP for running out to the store or just cruising our little downtown area I really don't think our local police are that focused on helmet violations - - heck almost all of the local motorcycle officers have gotten so accustomed to me that they often wave at me before I can get my hand up to wave at them ( I always wave at LEO's to show my support)

I have a bicycle helmet that I use, if I have to look like I have a helmet on. I have never had anyone to check for stickers on a helmet

• I have a bicycle helmet that I use, if I have to look like I have a helmet on. I have never had anyone to check for stickers on a helmet

I suspect that being in a Slingshot a person would probably not be subject to the same level of scrutiny that an officer might use when looking at a person on a two wheeled motorcycle - - even if it is only subconsciously I suspect that when a person looks it just doesn't scream out that its occupants should be wearing helmets - - like it might were you on a Harley

• I suspect that being in a Slingshot a person would probably not be subject to the same level of scrutiny that an officer might use when looking at a person on a two wheeled motorcycle - - even if it is only subconsciously I suspect that when a person looks it just doesn't scream out that its occupants should be wearing helmets - - like it might were you on a Harley

Until recently Michigan had a 'helmet law'. A Gold Wing friend in Michigan use to ride around with a full size female (blond) doll on the back seat of his Gold Wing.

• We do not have helmet laws in MI so I generally do not wear one unless going an extended distance on the highway. I got tired of sun getting in my eyes and I've lost a few baseball caps so I got one that looks like a baseball cap from https://mikesprolids.com/ I just got the flat bill in matte black but they offer all kinds of hydro dipped options and they're pretty affordable. Allegedly they are coming out with a DOT version but I was told that a couple years ago and got sick of waiting. They're pretty comfy and there's not a lot of weight. I mainly got it to block the sun and to catch any rocks coming off the back of cars on the highway.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• okay - an update.

I decided to go ahead and order the Daytona Eagle Helmet and give it a try

figured if I really wanted to know what I would think this was the best way - - well the helmet was delivered today and I have already packed it up to return.

Don't get me wrong, it was very well made and except for the lack of the thick styrofoam padding of my DOT Daytona helmet it was very similar - - the lining was the same moisture wicking design and it had the same great buckle in the strap actually except for the lack of a DOT sticker I doubt any LEO would have been able to tell it was a novelty helmet without actually holding it and examining it.

Actually this why I decided to return it - it is so much like the DOT helmet that I just don't see the point

The difference it how it sits on my head and in the weight is just not enough to justify the expense - - - I have a feeling that cheaper novelty helmets might make a bigger difference, but at this point I'l just stick with my DOT helmets

• FunCycle I only buy if they have a fitting chart for their helmets. I know I need 23.5" and that is XL in most brands. I will say that the full helmet I like has a couple spots in the padding that hurts my head but that maybe just with this terrible cough I have had headaches and my just be sensitive right now. Not a lot of places to try on a bunch of different helmet brands around here and with this virus they don't want your head in one of theirs.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• I wear a small and even with the chart there is no consistency in the sizes from brand to brand and that is what I am talking about. If buying the same brand it may work.

FunCycle I only buy if they have a fitting chart for their helmets. I know I need 23.5" and that is XL in most brands. I will say that the full helmet I like has a couple spots in the padding that hurts my head but that maybe just with this terrible cough I have had headaches and my just be sensitive right now. Not a lot of places to try on a bunch of different helmet brands around here and with this virus they don't want your head in one of theirs.

• I never order a helmet on line because of the problem of getting one to fit correct. When I bought he last half helmet at the bike shop they had 5 different brands and only one that would fit correctly.

I agree it is very hard - some helmets seem more designed for rounder heads and others for oval heads. This last 1/2 helmet, the Daytona skull cap is the first 1/2 helmet I have bought that really seems to be shaped for my head, in the past the 1/2 helmets I have owned fit nicely front to back but were a bit wider than my head - - This is one of the reasons I decided to try the Daytona Novelty. I hoped they would be sized the same, but the novelty was smaller and even if I had decided I really liked I would have returned it and gotten the next size up

Would really love it if I had a local shop with a good selection of helmets, but I do not - - fortunately Amazon Prime allows for free returns so it is not a real problem if I don't care for something

• Recieved this one today and so far really like it.

41Ro2y3RMYL._SY180_.jpg

LS2 Helmets Rebellion Motorcycle Half Helmet (Gloss Black - X-Large)

looks nice - definitely not a novelty helmet :thumbsup: