The Pros the Cons The Good The Bad Tell me

• I guess you don't have motorcycles in MS..

Like Florida they don't ride in the summer time...

I am sure that some folks are growing weary of my saying this. but we use our top mostly to extend our riding season thru the winter. It helps to make things more comfortable by cutting down the passenger compartment turbulence and "trapping" what lil heat is available under a winter sun. Which happens to be the reasons we remove the top during the the summer, where the top keeps the passenger compartment way too warm by inhibiting air circulation and it further does not allow with keeping with the motorcycle experience of wide open panoramic freedom and views! A further observation is that our top only protects us when the sun is directly overhead, otherwise somebody is still sitting in the sun. For approximately the same cost as a SlingShot, maybe something like a Miata with AC would be more appropriate for the OP rather than a motorcycle?

I really did not intend this to sound so facetious as it may come across...................

Bill

• Living in Florida if I put a top on it would be for shade. I would still leave the low windshield the the Sling came with so to have max airflow in the cockpit. I have sit in the hot sun at a long traffic light or a traffic jam and cooked in the sun and the heat coming up off the motor. Down here you can also get a sunburn in 15 0t 20 minutes. I really like the open cockpit feel, the wind in your face and the view of the sky but it does have its draw backs. Go with out the top and see how you do and add one later if needed.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• The biggest drawback to the S model is the roll hoops are not the same design as the roll hoops used on the other models and do not support the use of a top or luggage racks. If you want the standard roll hoops to handle a top, it will cost around $930 or so, depending on where you buy them.

That said, if I were buying a 2021 Slingshot, I'd most likely go for the S model with the Performance Tune to get the same performance the R model has at a $10K savings. Even going with the S AutoDrive and adding the Paddle Shifters and the Perforfmance Tune, the price is still only around $23K or so and still leaves money left over for a sound system and other mods.

see this is exactly why I ask questions. One thing that I want is a top for the South Mississippi sun. So assuming that you are saying that it would cost me in the neighborhood of 2k to have a canvas top on the S model because of the tool hoops?

I'll throw in my little bit of knowledge on roll hoops. What I can tell you is that the roll hoops changed for the 2017 model year. There is one style for 15/16 and another style for 17-20. I don't know yet if they change again in 21. I make luggage racks that work on all model years up through 20. They are compatible with some tops and not with others, but people put tops on all of the model years.

What I remember hearing about changing the roll hoops is if you want the Polaris brand top called the Slingshade on a 15 or 16. Then I believe you need the newer hoops introduced in 17.

I wasn't aware that the 2021 S model has scaled down hoops without attachment points. I assume they did that to get the price back down to $20k. One more thing to be aware of. Thanks BKL ! I'm wondering if a hoop upgrade is available from Polaris on purchase of that model.

Powelldb1 I found my 2016 brand new in Minneapolis for $17k about 3 years ago. A forum member here brokered the deal for me then trailered it 1,846 miles to my house. He bought my salvage Sling that was totaled and trailered it back (he did not bring whiskey or baked goods but did get a T-bone steak dinner). If you are patient you can likely find a smokin' deal. If you tap into the network of people on this forum you might be able to work something out of your area. If you find one in Washington state let me know. At the end of the day you'll be glad you pulled the trigger on whatever Slingshot you end up with.

Looking forward to seeing your new ride. Cheers!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Since the Slingshot uses the same frame on all models, I'd assume the roll hoop mounting holes are the same. The 2021 S model uses a simple chromed tube for its roll hoops, while the SL & R models use he same roll hoops as the previous models designed to fit the Slingshade (based on part numbers).

• Since the Slingshot uses the same frame on all models, I'd assume the roll hoop mounting holes are the same. The 2021 S model uses a simple chromed tube for its roll hoops, while the SL & R models use he same roll hoops as the previous models designed to fit the Slingshade (based on part numbers).

.....the frame isnt 100% the same on all models, there are modifications that polaris made after the 2016.5 year model......

• .....the frame isnt 100% the same on all models, there are modifications that polaris made after the 2016.5 year model......

Generalities, while useful as a blanket statement, still get you in trouble. I guess I should have stated that frames within each year are the same for all models. The 2016.5 difference referred to by MADDMOE was the introduction of a redesigned and presumably lighter mounting point for the swing-arm, IIRC. The main impact on aftermarket accessories has been the need for a slight redesign of the quad kit mounting points that attach where the swing-arm had been attached.

• Sometimes 'Facebook' people are SLOW to respond. I was going to look at one in Port Charlotte, FL last week but they did not respond --- I had to get back to the COLD North.

just received message from them and it’s still available. Anyone in the Dallas/Ft worth area that may be willing to put an eye on it for me.

• Generalities, while useful as a blanket statement, still get you in trouble. I guess I should have stated that frames within each year are the same for all models. The 2016.5 difference referred to by MADDMOE was the introduction of a redesigned and presumably lighter mounting point for the swing-arm, IIRC. The main impact on aftermarket accessories has been the need for a slight redesign of the quad kit mounting points that attach where the swing-arm had been attached.

Actually there are other modifications to the frame up front also, i was going to do a mod with the drivers side grab handle but 2017 and up doesnt have the mounting plate needed to complete this mod.......and haven't installed it as of yet but plan on it because i like the passenger side one i installed, it makes life so much easier .....

• Road trip to Dallas on Wednesday. Picking her up and driving her back. 8 hrs one way on the first trip. Should be a blast. Temps in the high 70’s. Again thanks to all for the direction and advice.