Shopping for a Slingshot

• Please pardon my jumping in here so late in the game, but if I were to purchase a SlingShot today, I personally would not purchase a new SlingShot from a dealer. You can literally save thousands of dollars by purchasing one used and then use the money saved to modifying it afterwards at your liesure to your desire. I see that there are dealer(s) on ebay that even offer free delivery nationwide..................................

Bill

• Thanks so much for your response and insights.

I would not rule out a used one. However, we are leaning towards an automatic transmission. If I understand correctly, that would limit me to the 2019 or newer?

The AutoDrive is available on the 2020 SL & R models as well as the 2021 S, SL or R. The manual transmission comes stock on the S model and the R model, with the AutoDrive being around $1700 +/-. If you like the color of the S model, that's the cheapest platform and adding the AutoDrive, Paddle Shifters and the Performance Tune should give the performance of the R model that costs close to $10K more, and leaves plenty of money to add your own aftermarket audio system and maybe even a few additional options if you choose.

• Interesting. From the sheer premise of having shade from the strong and 340 day a year sun presence in New Mexico, it make sense to get one. We do not want our heads to cook! That said, I would be curious to hear what the negatives are. Besides the fact that it precludes us from getting the luggage racks, which is a definite negative.

Thanks for your feedback.

There are LOTS of aftermarket tops available - you’re not limited to the Slingshade...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Interesting. From the sheer premise of having shade from the strong and 340 day a year sun presence in New Mexico, it make sense to get one. We do not want our heads to cook!

Just sharing our personal experience with our top, (MeanSling Sport Top), we have found that the top is a wonderful addition during our "winter" months by helping to keep our passenger compartment warmer, but for the same reason we remove the top for most of our summer riding.

Bill

• Back to your question about the good/bads about the stock Slingshade:

• Good: One of the best looking out there, IMHO. It follows the lines of the SS very well.
    • Bad:
      • 1) Very low. I am exactly 6' tall but much taller in the torso. My head barely cleared the roof - literally just 1/4". There was no way I could have worn a helmet. The front cross bar was BELOW my line of sight.
      • 2) Have seen some complaints about fitment and warping issues, but I do not have personal experience.

Before you buy ANY top, go around and see what ones you like. There are different kinds that have different advantages/disadvantages. Go to a show and sit in diff SS with diff roofs. Many people will let you sit in theirs to try them. If you can make it to Texas, there is going to be 3 shows (Houston, Corpus Christi, & Kerrville) in April-May where I'm sure you can see all kinds.

Not any endorsement, but check out Twist Dynamics Roofs or SlingMods Roofs. They have quite a few different roof systems so you can see some of the different styles. There are also a couple other suppliers on here that offer different styles too including at least one temporary/portable system that stores in your cubby until you need it.

• Before you buy ANY top, go around and see what ones you like. There are different kinds that have different advantages/disadvantages. Go to a show and sit in diff SS with diff roofs. Many people will let you sit in theirs to try them.

Now, that is funny!! Go to a show? Really? Our dealers are all quitting the SlingShot here in the west/northwest, (Closest now is an 8 hour round trip), and we haven't even seen another SlingShot in maybe two years now. So the chances of getting together enough SlingShots to do a showing? Not very bloody likely!! Image result for ROFL. Size: 119 x 89. Source: www.indiatimes.com

Aw, I see that the OP is from NM, maybe he might have a better opportunity there! :)

Bill

• Maggie valley

Hee hee, you are in Maine, right? Maggie Valley would be what, 1200 miles one way? It would be a 5500 mile round trip for us! 8o

I suppose Deadwood South Dakota would be our nearest gathering, though still a 2800 mile round trip. Image result for Whew. Size: 99 x 100. Source: tostitchornottostitch.blogspot.com

I just looked up dealers in New Mexico, it appears that they have become scant there also?

I dun do believe that those folks here from the South / Southeast do tend to take their location for granted where the SlingShot is concerned? :/

Bill

• Thanks so much, James! Really good advice and appreciate the referral to the texas dealers. Definitely worth the comparison.

I wondered if the luggage racks would work with s slingshade. That is too bad they do not. Hopefully someone will rectify that.

Love the Elvis quote too!

Since you mentioned the slingshade you had better ask for opinions on it as I have heard lots of negative comments from owners, a few ok but mostly negative.

Jamesgn

Interesting. From the sheer premise of having shade from the strong and 340 day a year sun presence in New Mexico, it make sense to get one. We do not want our heads to cook! That said, I would be curious to hear what the negatives are. Besides the fact that it precludes us from getting the luggage racks, which is a definite negative.

Thanks for your feedback.

I was not talking about tops. I have one now and am getting one for our new 2020. That said the comment was directed to the SLINGSHASDE

specifically. The SLINGSHADE has problems and their are others cheaper that do a better job. I think a top is very necessary as NM isn't the only state to get hot in the summer. I would recommend you get a top, just not a slingshade. Ask others .

Good luck

Jamesgn

• Now, that is funny!! Go to a show? Really? Our dealers are all quitting the SlingShot here in the west/northwest, (Closest now is an 8 hour round trip), and we haven't even seen another SlingShot in maybe two years now. So the chances of getting together enough SlingShots to do a showing? Not very bloody likely!! Image result for ROFL. Size: 119 x 89. Source: www.indiatimes.com

Aw, I see that the OP is from NM, maybe he might have a better opportunity there! :)

Bill

And yet the dealer in San Antonio sell 40+ Slingshots per month alone. Heck, he sells and delivers them into Florida! Where everyone drives a SS.

• Got it, thanks for clarifying!

Don't be afraid to cut people off. - Lorena Bobitt