Shopping for a Slingshot

• Hello - I am brand new to this forum. My wife and I are in the market to purchase a Slingshot. They look freaking fun!

That said, I have a question for those experienced in buying one. Is the price of the Slingshot negotiable? Or is one expected to pay the listed price? I don't want to insult the dealer, but I also don't want to leave any money on the table. :)

Don't be afraid to cut people off. - Lorena Bobitt

• Welcome to the forum! Tons of great info here!

That said, always negotiate! In my opinion, worst they will tell you is no and unless the item I'm after is in that short of supply, I always feel like I can find another one. Wouldn't discount the option of buying used either. Got my 18 with only 1500 miles on it for a steal of a price compared to some I saw. I still see tons of used out there for a good price and seems 17-19 year wise with recalls done is the sweet spot. I'm bias on that year range - these pro's on here will chime in and keep me honest! Good Luck!

• Welcome to the forum! Tons of great info here!

That said, always negotiate! In my opinion, worst they will tell you is no and unless the item I'm after is in that short of supply, I always feel like I can find another one. Wouldn't discount the option of buying used either. Got my 18 with only 1500 miles on it for a steal of a price compared to some I saw. I still see tons of used out there for a good price and seems 17-19 year wise with recalls done is the sweet spot. I'm bias on that year range - these pro's on here will chime in and keep me honest! Good Luck!

Thanks so much for your response and insights.

I would not rule out a used one. However, we are leaning towards an automatic transmission. If I understand correctly, that would limit me to the 2019 or newer?

• Welcome to the family - your slingshot purchase will be the least amount of money you spend. The lunatics who hang around here will help you go broke making mods in short time.

That being said there are plenty of good deals on used Slingshots where someone else went broke doing mods and you can take advantage of that

Check out the market place on this site first - at least you can look around and see what is available as an option

Good Luck

Ride Safe

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• NM Slingshot welcome to best forum going! I believe you need to look at 2020 or newer for the auto. 2021 also has a manual mode for the automatic with paddles on the wheel, it can be retrofitted to 2020s. Probably not a lot of those for sale used yet.

As for price I bought new in 2016 and got out the door for less than retail including tax, title and temporary tag. Some dealers are easier to work with than others so check around if that's an option where you live.

Hope to see pics of your ride soon 😁

• When I bought my 18 in 18 I went online looked up MSRP and said I’m okay paying that exact amount. 20k base model brand new. 1st dealer wouldn’t come down a grand told him I’m not paying shipping and assembly. He lost the 20k sale over 1000 dollars few hrs later I was at dealer 2 and walked out at my number obviously it wasn’t a deal but I also felt like I wasn’t robbed so it was okay with me. It’s a joke buying new just watch for the bs add on’s they try to throw in last min. Read everything and best of luck.

• NM Slingshot welcome to best forum going! I believe you need to look at 2020 or newer for the auto. 2021 also has a manual mode for the automatic with paddles on the wheel, it can be retrofitted to 2020s. Probably not a lot of those for sale used yet.

As for price I bought new in 2016 and got out the door for less than retail including tax, title and temporary tag. Some dealers are easier to work with than others so check around if that's an option where you live.

Hope to see pics of your ride soon 😁

Perfect, exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you.

• When I bought my 18 in 18 I went online looked up MSRP and said I’m okay paying that exact amount. 20k base model brand new. 1st dealer wouldn’t come down a grand told him I’m not paying shipping and assembly. He lost the 20k sale over 1000 dollars few hrs later I was at dealer 2 and walked out at my number obviously it wasn’t a deal but I also felt like I wasn’t robbed so it was okay with me. It’s a joke buying new just watch for the bs add on’s they try to throw in last min. Read everything and best of luck.

I totally get your approach. I too would want to at a minimum not have to pay shipping and assembly if I am to pay full MSRP on a brand new model. Thanks!

• I paid 22k OTD for my 2019 S, which was $2k more than the list which (to me) was tax, tag and a bit extra.

Don't be afraid to travel a bit. Dealers in the boonies may give you a better deal than a dealer in a highly populated area.

• Bought mine new now going on year 7. I would buy low mileage used if you can find one at a LOW price. You will probably save 10k+. If you want navigation system that came out in 2018 I believe. I for one don't care about that. I use my phone gps if I need to find my way.

• Look around at different dealers and figure out what you want. I can recommend the dealers in both San Antonio and Houston (but not the dealers in Austin, where I live).

When I bought the latest SS, I knew I wanted a bunch of accessories installed from the beginning. I got a 2019 Base with about $9K in accessories added for an OTD price LESS than an SL list price. Dealer basically sold me the SS at his cost and made his profit on the accessories. And I have gone back to that same dealer many times now for other stuff.

• I knew what model and color I wanted so I shopped online inventory, then offered dealers a chance to quote me. Had all dealers respond, lowest price was 3 hours away. I gave closest dealer a final chance to match price, but they wouldnt. Well, they did after I bought one. Too bad for them. I didnt care about all the addons, or what they claimed about assembly, shipping, etc. Just give me out the door price, sales tax, title fees included. Mine was box stock. Worked for me. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G935V using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size 'bucket'.

• I knew what model and color I wanted so I shopped online inventory, then offered dealers a chance to quote me. Had all dealers respond, lowest price was 3 hours away. I gave closest dealer a final chance to match price, but they wouldnt. Well, they did after I bought one. Too bad for them. I didnt care about all the addons, or what they claimed about assembly, shipping, etc. Just give me out the door price, sales tax, title fees included. Mine was box stock. Worked for me. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G935V using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

That is pretty awesome, dealers normally don't like to do that as they want you in the store to muscle you.

I walked away from a few. Was asking about a used Slingshot when a dealer I previously walked away from called me (after a less than flattering google review) and offered me the price I wanted on condition of amending the review.

• Welcome, and congrats on your decision to get a Slingshot, let the fun begin!

First off, do your research, go online and build several out, become familiar with the options and what they do and do not do for you for you. compare the prices. Unlike cars where you can get any model in any color you want Slingshots are model specific to the color with a few variations. So if color is important start there. Then look for the autos. Only 2020 and 2021 offer the auto. The 2021 has some upgrades to the Auto with paddle shifters and new programming. That can also be added to the 2020.

Depending on how bad you were bitten by the bug the best way to look at options, (aftermarket) and get the scoop on what they do is to see them and talk with people who actually own them. Get on Facebook, check out any Slingshot clubs in Albuquerque, get out and go to one of their meet ups. That is where you will get a true idea of what you want and don't want, They can also tell you about the local dealers who deal and service the Slingshot. They can tell you who has the cheapest insurance coverage for your area. Slingshot owners as a group are the friendliest people you will ever meet.

Good luck.

Jamesgn

• Great advice, much appreciated! Unfortunately, there is only one dealer in Albuquerque. I have been doing what you suggested, building online, etc. Definitely leaning towards a 20 or 21 as I want an automatic. I also found slingmods.com and was happy to see you can get luggage racks for added storage space if we want to take a trip, etc.

• Their are two dealers in Texas that sell more SS and offer the biggest discounts. Daniel at Mancuso, Gulf Freeway in Houston or Dave at Alamo Cycleplex in San Antoino . These guys sell more SS than anyone in the US. They deliver also. We saved over $3,000 from our local dealers best price. They are both straight shooters.

I would recommend you get a price from Rosedale then call either or both of these guys for a price on the same thing. If its not worth the trip or the hassle at least you know where you stand.

On a side note The luggage racks are nice but if you are considering a top most don't allow for the luggage rack mounting.

I know this sounds like more work but the enjoyment you will get from driving around Albuquerque in that Slingshot will be worth it.

Elvis said " life is too short to drive boring cars" he was never more right !

Jamesgn

• Thanks so much, James! Really good advice and appreciate the referral to the texas dealers. Definitely worth the comparison.

I wondered if the luggage racks would work with s slingshade. That is too bad they do not. Hopefully someone will rectify that.

Love the Elvis quote too!

• Thanks so much, James! Really good advice and appreciate the referral to the texas dealers. Definitely worth the comparison.

I wondered if the luggage racks would work with s slingshade. That is too bad they do not. Hopefully someone will rectify that.

Neither the Baker racks nor the ones I make will work with the Slingshade without major modifications (meaning cutting on the Slingshade mount and some fabrication).

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

Since you mentioned the slingshade you had better ask for opinions on it as I have heard lots of negative comments from owners, a few ok but mostly negative.

Jamesgn

• Since you mentioned the slingshade you had better ask for opinions on it as I have heard lots of negative comments from owners, a few ok but mostly negative.

Jamesgn

Interesting. From the sheer premise of having shade from the strong and 340 day a year sun presence in New Mexico, it make sense to get one. We do not want our heads to cook! That said, I would be curious to hear what the negatives are. Besides the fact that it precludes us from getting the luggage racks, which is a definite negative.

Thanks for your feedback.