Brood X Cicada Emergence - Summer 2021

• I'm looking to go cicada spotting this summer during the emergence of the large brood X periodical cicadas across the Midwest to the East Coast. Is anyone else looking to track the emergences this year?
    My plans are to visit Indianapolis in June and tour some state parks to enjoy their music. Anyone in that area in 2004 or 1987 have an opinion on the best approach for encountering the brood? Or will they be absolutely inescapable, lol?!

• I don't know what brood they are, but we seem to get them here every spring/summer and when they are out there is no missing it - - damn things are loud and then you will find their empty shells stuck on walls or the ground

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I don't know what brood they are, but we seem to get them here every spring/summer and when they are out there is no missing it - - damn things are loud and then you will find their empty shells stuck on walls or the ground

Sounds like an annual brood. I went to Japan in 2016 and their cicadas are HUGE, but by extension, so are the cicada wasps, and in turn, the birds that prey on those.

The cities we stayed in were mostly quiet until we got to these clusters of trees in the inner-city parks, then it was a noise like none other with them all concentrated there!

It sure did get loud, but for some reason I just love that melody!

• Sounds like an annual brood. I went to Japan in 2016 and their cicadas are HUGE, but by extension, so are the cicada wasps, and in turn, the birds that prey on those.

The cities we stayed in were mostly quiet until we got to these clusters of trees in the inner-city parks, then it was a noise like none other with them all concentrated there!

It sure did get loud, but for some reason I just love that melody!

We had a cicada wasp show up a few years ago digging a hole in the sand around my firepit. Scared the crap out of me when it came out of that hole. I grew up in this area and lived in the country for most of that time and had never seen one of those things.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• We had a cicada wasp show up a few years ago digging a hole in the sand around my firepit. Scared the crap out of me when it came out of that hole. I grew up in this area and lived in the country for most of that time and had never seen one of those things.

I've watched them stab and immobilize a cicada as they drag them up a tree to their nest. =O
    Damn, nature, you scary!

• I've watched them stab and immobilize a cicada as they drag them up a tree to their nest. =O
    Damn, nature, you scary!

personally I don't much care for anything that flies and stings - - - around here most all of the bees are now Africanized, as such I no longer swat at any bee that is bothering me - too afraid if I do it will go get all of its homies and come after me - - heck there have even been instances of bees getting pissed off at barking dogs and then going after the dogs and stinging them to death

Yea - no thank you!

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Back around late 1980 or early 1981, we were driving cross-country to Monterey, CA and stopped at a gas station somewhere in New Mexico or Arizona to get gas and use the restrooms. Beetles covered just about every square inch of the lot and it was impossible to walk anywhere w/o crushing beetles with every step! IIRC, the beetles were similar to Japanese Beetles, but were definitely smaller than June Bugs.