Shock rebound

• Since installing our adjustable shocks the first part of the year I have been playing with the settings.Adjusting the compression has become very obvious in how ride is affected, but I am still confused about the rebound settings? By cranking up the rebound knob I can make the SlingShot ride more firmly, but that is what the compression knob also does? Can somebody please explain in idiot terms what I am supposed to be really looking for when adjusting for rebound?

Thank-you,

Bill

Very simply, Compression adjusts how quickly the shock goes up. or absorbs a bump. Rebound adjusts how quickly the shock extends, or pushes the tire back to the road.

Too much compression and the ride gets harsh upsetting the chassis, too much rebound and the tire floats after a bump or "skitters" over multiples. Both are the enemy of control.

... nerd-squared

EDIT: I did change my language a bit to make it easier to understand. My Mentor is Dave Moss so I speak in a bit of a confusing manner when it comes to suspension settings. wink-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited once, last by Orangeman ().

• I have been going out over my test road, (in the rain this morning), and maybe I am maybe getting a better handle on this? Compression is appearing to control how soft, or how harsh, the ride is while the Rebound controls how much "bounce" the vehicle has, which even at the lowest setting of the shocks is not much? With this mindset I have set the ride that I prefer with the Compression, while cranking up the Rebound until the bounce is eliminated. Would this be right?

I am thinking that maybe a heavier vehicle would be providing a much more recognizable response?

Bill

• wjfyfe the link Tripod posted really explains this very well. https://lifeatlean.com/teach-m…sion-and-rebound-damping/ It is a good read have no plans on changing out good shocks till they need replacing but I learned a lot. I would like a softer ride I feel every center line reflector on the road and think they are only about a 1/2" high. Guess I hug the the center to much but it seams all the nails and junk end up on the right side of the road. Susan hugs the curb and constantly gets nails in her tired and screwed up rims.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• I am thinking that I may be getting a little better handle on this shock rebound thing. On my test stretch of road, there is a section where it is almost washboardy, where the rear would like to skip around a bit. Today I cranked the rebound knob up a couple of clicks and now the rear seems now to hold the road better without skipping, without really altering the stiffness of the ride? Am I on the right track?

Bill