Belt squeaking

• I had a new trans put in a couple of months back. Since then, the belt would squeak occasionally as we typically have to deal with . I drove it yesterday and the noise was continous and horrible. It reminded me of a bad chain on a motorcycle...like you could hear every cog of the sprocket. It was one of the warmest days since the change. Could the temperature change have affected the belt that much ? If so, what range are you guys setting the tension to? I know several are running looser than factory setting

2016.5 Pearl White SL LE

• As the SlingShot is driven, the belt tends to move back and forth across the rear sprocket. When under acceleration apparently the belt will move towards the outside and on deceleration it will return to the inside. It has been our experience that a cooler/looser belt tends to travel more and be the noisier, while as the belt warms/tightens it becomes more stable and quiet. Also, it appears that it is when the belt comes into contact with either of the lips that creates the most noise. With an already noisy belt, you may try giving the belt a good scrubbing to see if that helps the squeal. Otherwise, there have been many thoughts and opinions concerning the adjustment of the drive belt, here is a start where you may find the answers that you are seeking:

https://slingshotinfo.com/wcf/…934/&highlight=drive+belt

Bill

• I actually never adjusted my belt the whole time I had mine as a 3 wheel slingshot. I did notice that when I lowered the suspension the belt was super tight. So I tightened the adjustment on the shock till the belt was a bit looser. However in all the 4 years I never had an issue with the belt making a noise or breaking. I even have a spare belt that I never did use.

I did take my foot and push on the belt occasionally and see how much it deflected. I guess I have been around enough belt driven bikes and trikes that I know what to expect.

If you can play a tune on the belt its to tight... If you can flex it with the toe of your shoe over about a 1/2 to 1 inch then its probably ok. It will run just fine a bit loose. However if its to tight your going to eat the belt up and shorten the life of the bearings I'm sure.

• I've noticed that my belt will get noisey when it is dirty. A good cleaning will quiet things down quite a bit.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2018 Slingshot SL

Sunset Red

Reading, PA 19606

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• I wish I could explain better how it was yesterday. At low speeds (coming to a stop or in parking lot) it was like I could hear every cog of the sprocket and belt. It was like the belt was SUPER tight.

2016.5 Pearl White SL LE

• I checked it this morning with it about 20 degrees cooler than yesterday. Very little deflection ( <1/2"). It is going to rain for a few days here. When it clears up and hopefully warmer, I am going to loosen and readjust tension. I seen someone in another thread suggest 1 1/4 - 1 3/8.

2016.5 Pearl White SL LE

• I checked it this morning with it about 20 degrees cooler than yesterday. Very little deflection ( <1/2"). It is going to rain for a few days here. When it clears up and hopefully warmer, I am going to loosen and readjust tension. I seen someone in another thread suggest 1 1/4 - 1 3/8.

.70", (just simpler to read than .63"), when riding from 20 some degrees to over a 100 degrees, has been working well for us. After forgetting to measure ride height before changing the rear shock recently, the belt ended up approximately 1 1/4" deflection for a while and had a tenancy to squeal. When we got a warmer day where I was able to adjust it back to nearer specs, it quieted right down again.

Bill

• I am tired of listening to the belt screech on Sling II. It only stops after about 2 hours of riding. Sling I has never done this so it is going to the dealer Monday for an adjustment and see if that helps. I have never even cleaned the belt on Sling I, also the adjustment looks to be about the same on both.

• I am tired of listening to the belt screech on Sling II. It only stops after about 2 hours of riding. Sling I has never done this so it is going to the dealer Monday for an adjustment and see if that helps. I have never even cleaned the belt on Sling I, also the adjustment looks to be about the same on both.

get a radio!

works for me - I can't hear any noises

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• It's strange. Mine was so bad on the day I bought it the first thing I did when I got home was research it. Some suggested it will go away after 3000 miles. I did nothing but put some miles in and sure enough it started to quiet down at 3000 and at 5000 not even noticeable. Since then just fine. To me that indicates it was a tad to tight and needed to stretch a bit. I know it's not the same for all and FunCycle is one of those ironbutt riders with tons of miles. Just not allot of consistency as to a solution.

• I took Sling II to the dealer today to check out the belt noise. The alignment was dead on and the belt according to the tech was just a little bit loose. He took the Sling for a ride and then we talked some about the noise. The tech decided to tighten the belt up just a small amount. Right now the squilling is gone with only about 25 miles put on the Sling getting home. We will see if that really cured the problem.