Daily Driver?

• Yep. The raining season is why my Sling isn't my daily driver. Thought about it, but going through a monsoon where you can't see 20' in front of you, would not be fun on a Sling.

That being said, since the topic is on the general reliability of the Sling, keep in mind the engine is a GM Ecotech. A well proven car engine.

• Hydroplaning in a SS scares me and I am fearless. Lots of road, most, around here puddle up with a lot of water and it don't have to be raining hard either. Sitting low like we are they are not easy to see.

Counterintuitive as it may seem, if you are in the rain you MUST turn off ALL traction and stability control!

Hydroplaning in the sling isn't fun, but easily controllable - as long as the safety nannies don't slam the brakes on just one wheel - THAT can kill you! (Ask me how I know and I'll regale you with tales of going sideways across 4 lanes of interstate at 60 mph).

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I've done it and not fun! Surprised I survive... My angels were with me that day!

It was a busy Houston TX highway with 18 wheelers driving through! That empty HOV lane helped... Once done, facing oncoming traffic against the concrete barrier, after slamming it, just glad I was alive. Sling got fixed.

MiM ’s angels...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• When you have 'wet' roads and driving the Slingshot -- TURN OFF -- traction control and ABS and slow down.

Yes, I too have experienced the hydroplane dance with the traction control engaged, since learning about turning them off, and installing more appropriate tires, there has been no issues while practicing other common sense tactics.

Traction control does it's thing by applying brakes, what do you want to avoid during a hydroplaning incident? Yep, when you think about it, turning it off makes perfect sense!

Bill

• ...and installing more appropriate tires...

Not trying to derail the thread, but since you mentioned it, I still have stock tires and in my novice opinion, I think the tread pattern on the Kenda is ideal for channeling water out from under the Sling. So, what am I missing? Why does everyone feel the need to replace them with something else? Asking for a friend... lol

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Not trying to derail the thread, but since you mentioned it, I still have stock tires and in my novice opinion, I think the tread pattern on the Kenda is ideal for channeling water out from under the Sling. So, what am I missing? Why does everyone feel the need to replace them with something else? Asking for a friend... lol

In my never humble opinion the problem of the kenda tires is not the thread pattern but the compound used for them, I still have my stock front tires on one sling and aftermarket on the other and while for my limited use they are both "fine", I can clearly tell the difference between them, the aftermarket tires make me feel less butterflies in my stomach while taking an aggressive corner.

The kendas are absolute garbage once the temperature drops below 60F while my hankooks still operate somewhat consistent.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Not trying to derail the thread, but since you mentioned it, I still have stock tires and in my novice opinion, I think the tread pattern on the Kenda is ideal for channeling water out from under the Sling. So, what am I missing? Why does everyone feel the need to replace them with something else? Asking for a friend... lol

pretty sure the exact tire that comes on the slingshot is actually made by Kenda for polaris and is only available from the dealer at a very high price

Kenda does sell a tire I believe is the same tire without the "slingshot" branding, but for me I was not happy with the traction I got out of my stock tires so I did not even investigate it further - - I can say that when I did look for tires that neither Discount Tire or Tire Rack had Kenda's listed on their sites

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Central Texas, Great !

We live in Georgetown and have been involved with slingers all over the area from Ft. Hood/Temple to Kyle and San Antonio. We would love to meet you and can also provide you with actual experience with service departments at all dealers and offer you a chance to do your own oil changes on our lifts. We have a good size group of people and several "clubs" from around the area. Their is a wealth of knowledge about the slingshots around here.

Using the sling as a daily driver in this area is a great idea, the weather is perfect most of the time.

Good luck!

Jamesgn

The stock Kenda tires are really just a harder compound tire that do not give you the best dry road traction until the tire compound is warmed up/hot.

• Ok thank you all. If the rain starts those two switches and going off right away.

....got caught in 2 storms both on I-95 , i keep track of the weather daily and both storms came out of know where........i threw them flashing lights on , slowed down til i could get off the highway but now i know what to cut off.......

The stock Kendas have the same inherent defect that all tires have and that is that they eventually end up bald. It's pretty natural to try to find the absolute best replacement option hence all the tire threads, posts and opinions.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

Turn OFF the nannies .... If one wheel hits a 'dime' it will bounce and your GONE.

• WooHoo! I'm in Austin - where in Texas?

I'm on SS #3 and use it as my daily driver. Admittedly, that has pretty much stopped due to Covid and working from home, but I still choose it first to drive anywhere.

As long as it's not raining. Yes, lots of people here will drive in the rain. But not me. I've been caught a couple times and driving in the rain in the rain is scary. Rear end is too light and any water and it goes coo-coo. That being said, I have been VERY impressed with the SS Traction Control in non-wet conditions. I have put that thing around corners sideways and the TC brings it right back in.

Now, for the other side of Texas: Sun and heat. I put a top on SS#3. In fact, that's why I went from SS#2 to #3 - was going to spend the money anyways and the dealer (Alamo Cycle Plex) made me such a great deal that it was smarter to go from the 2016.5 to the 2019.

If you're close by to Austin, PM me and I'll be glad to give you a ride and more details.

• When turning off traction control do you just push it or do you hold it in so the other function is turned off? Sorry I forgot what it is.

Yes, press and release to disable TC; press and hold a few seconds to disable ESP. Press and release again to turn everything on again, or the next time you start the engine, everything is on again by default.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"