Daily Driver?

• I'm considering buying a 2019 low mileage (<5000) slingshot for use as a daily driver. How much maintenance do they require? How many miles can I realistically expect to get from it, lifetime?

I already know about the rubber seats, the heat, and all the other drawbacks. I'm looking for information, please, not advice.

• Yes - - my slingshot has been my daily driver since I brought it home in May of 2017, In that time I have been back to the dealer only one time and that was for a new battery and to take care of some recalls. As to maintenance all it has needed have been the regular lube, oil & filter changes and some new tires. As a daily driver I can honestly say my slingshot has been every bit as reliable as any car or truck I have had before it probably better than some.

oh yea - and just so you know I live in Palm Springs California, the lower desert, and my slingshot is regularly parked in the sun on days where it is well over 110 degrees and with no roof and the "rubber" seats and other plastics have held up great - in fact I can honestly say that when I spiff it up with some Lucas slick mist interior detailer and speed wax it still looks like new

Now I don't know where you are located Crazy Talk , but I can pretty much guarantee if the Slingshot can hold up to our summers then it will hold up to pretty much any weather

when it comes to making the commitment to make a slingshot your daily driver I personally think most people are going to give up and change their mind before their slingshot lets them down. - - - - you really have to love and want to be out elements - - I love it, couldn't pay me to go back to being in a cage every day - - and yes that's even when it rains or when its 120 degrees

:00008674:

almost forgot - as to lifetime milage - - Im not even close to there yet - in my daily driving I'm putting down about 12k a year and in addition I like to take her out on short trips when I can (usually up into the mountains to escape the heat) but unlike many here I haven't slammed huge amounts of miles on Cage Free - - wife doesn't like the sun so its mostly just me when I take a fun ride

there are others here who are far better equipped to answer the milage life question than me

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I am retired and haven't had my SS that long but try to drive her every day. Cold and rain doesn't even take the smile off my face and I have drove her in 42 degrees with a pouring rain. Just dress for it. I keep a set of Frog Trogs rain gear behind the seat.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• My last daily driver that was just for me, when I had no children to transport, was a 1999 Jetta that had the roof removed. It had no windshield either; I wore a motorcycle helmet on the highways. I drove that thing in every sort of weather and miss it something fierce.

The slingshot seems like a good replacement; my only concern has been whether it's an actual vehicle or just a weekend playtoy that will spend half its time with the hood open.

Y'all are making me feel a lot better about this. Thank you so much!

(oh and I'm in Central Texas)

• No one has addressed one question in your original post regarding lifetime mileage. Know that several members have well over 100,000 miles (that is with the GM engine though; time will tell for the Polaris engine).

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• I have a 2019 SLR. Ruby is my daily driver about 10 months a year. I've driven in rain, won't do it again unless I absolutely have to.

I ride anywhere from 35 degreed up to over 100. I take my sling to work every day and I have a half-cover when I park there.

When it's wet, snowy, or below freezing, or if I'm going to the home improvement store for really big stuff,, I take the SUV. Other than that, it's the Slingshot. Work, fun, shopping, its great.

FWIW, I drive about 12K miles per year - at least 9,000 of those are in Ruby.

You're gonna love it!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• adventure4me

Hey Anita, how many miles do you have on your Slingshot?

Any issues besides the recalls?

I only have 51,000 on my 2015. If only we could count trailer miles! 😁. Replaced steering rack boots, but probably failed due to dirt and desert roads. Knock sensor at 50,000. Serviced every 5000 miles. Right now it sits surrounded by snow.

• I'm considering buying a 2019 low mileage (<5000) slingshot for use as a daily driver. How much maintenance do they require? How many miles can I realistically expect to get from it, lifetime?

I already know about the rubber seats, the heat, and all the other drawbacks. I'm looking for information, please, not advice.

There is just one draw back if that is something that you worry about. You will get your A&& wet if it rains. As to mileage there are many people on just this forum that use their Singshot as daily transportation and have well over 100,000 miles on their Slings with very few problems if any.

• There is just one draw back if that is something that you worry about. You will get your A&& wet if it rains. As to mileage there are many people on just this forum that use their Singshot as daily transportation and have well over 100,000 miles on their Slings with very few problems if any.

I was thinking you should chime in - if anybody can answer the milage question you can 8o

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• Hydroplaning in a SS scares me and I am fearless. Lots of road, most, around here puddle up with a lot of water and it don't have to be raining hard either. Sitting low like we are they are not easy to see.

• I some places they have big lots they flood with shallow water and teach LEOs how to handle hydroplaning. That is something I would love to do. I suspect it was a lot like like driving on the frozen lakes back home in North Iowa when I was a kid. Also the street and parking lots at the maul would freeze over and us kids would see how many times we could spin around and come out of the spins going the same direction we went into it. The only experienceI have with hydroplaning is here in Florida my Sunbird's front tires would hydroplane and the tack would up up and my speed down and that is the only indication I had they had lost traction.

• Hydroplaning in a SS scares me and I am fearless. Lots of road, most, around here puddle up with a lot of water and it don't have to be raining hard either. Sitting low like we are they are not easy to see.

When you have 'wet' roads and driving the Slingshot -- TURN OFF -- traction control and ABS and slow down.

• If I've interpreted everything I've read on this topic correctly, I believe the real threat of losing control of the Sling, if it begins to hydroplane, is the reaction of the ESP, if you fail to disable it before hand. If I'm correct, it leads me to ask what the ESP is for, if it's so dangerous. Maybe someone with more knowledge on it can enlighten all of us.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

Edited once, last by Roadhawg ().

• If I've interpreted everything I've read on this topic correctly, I believe the real threat of losing control of the Sling, is if begins to hydroplane, is the reaction of the ESP if you fail to disable it before hand. If I'm correct, it leads me to ask what the ESP is for, if it's so dangerous. Maybe someone with more knowledge on it can enlighten all of us.

Has to do with ONE of three wheels reacting ... where with the 4 wheeler you would probably have 2 react.