An interesting article on the Consumer's Right To Repair and how companies like Apple and John Deere try to force consumers into expensive and sometimes (deliberately) poorly done repairs

• Don't get me started on Apple. I'm a graphic designer by trade and musician by passion so I'm "stuck" with Apple.

My 2012 Mac Mini, I upgraded the RAM immediately, a couple of years down the road installed a 2 bay drive upgrade with a 500GB solid state drive and a 2TB conventional. That computer serves me to this day.

The newer ones had the RAM and hard disk soldered in place. Dick move of the highest level.

The newest M1 mini has a completely different architecture, so no conventional RAM is involved.

...don't even get me started on the iPhone's lack of a headphone jack.

:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

• Back in the late 80s/early 90s, I had an Atari ST Mega 4 and also used the Magic Sac by Dave Small that allowed the Atari to use Macintosh ROMs and run Mac software. I came to realize how Apple had some good software, but basically forced people to do things the "Apple" way, I vowed to never buy another Apple product. I kept that promise until my Son bought my Wife a 160G iPod and I bought a second unit for her as a backup. Other than that, I still avoid Apple to this day.

I prefer the more open world of Android when it comes to phones and tablets, but when Samsung decided to drop headphone jacks and expandable microSD memory, I started avoiding those models, too. Paying Apple or any other manufacturer the prices they charge for additional memory in a device when they could have offered an additional microSD slot is no go for me.

I liked my Ford Edge until I found out that Ford had integrated the door open switch with the damned door lock and maybe even the window motor for all I know and got told that what should have been a cheap repair would cost well over $500 to replace. Later, I had a leaky brake booster, which Ford had acknowledged was a problem on 2013 and earlier models, but restricted their warranty repairs to certain VINs, so I really got pissed when I experienced the exact same problem and had to pay over $1000 for the repair! Shit.y engineering decisions that save money for the manufacturer at the expense of the consumer clearly tell me they don't give a hoot about their customers. Same attitude seen with John Deere, Apple, Ford and too many other manufacturers.

Edited once, last by BKL ().