Trailer Info Needed

• I am thinking about purchasing a trailer to tow my Slingshot to the events. As of right now I am leaning towards a all aluminum 16 foot tandem axle enclosed trailer. I won’t the aluminum trailer because I don’t want to replace my truck. I have a Toyota Tacoma with the factory towing package. The truck is rated for 6800 pounds towing capacity. This is why I and wanting a aluminum trailer to keep the towing weight well below the trucks towing capacity. What I am wanting to know, what length you guys recommend, single or tandem axle, etc. and what options you would recommend getting on the trailer. Any advice would be a great help before I order the trailer.

• I've been looking at this myself. Found a guy who's local who builds and the price seems right. He was saying if I stuck to 14ft it's single axle and 16ft would be double etc... Not sure if that's rule thing or his rule. I'm thinking exposed as everything on the sling is setup to be waterproof now and while it would be nice to have enclosed realistically I'll use this trailer once or twice a year. It'll also be super light to where if I want to tow with the jeep liberty I could vs my 2500 ram. Key for me if I buy one now is making sure it works for 3 wheels and 4 wheels down the road should I go that route!

Not my pictures, stolen from FB but the pics I showed the guy who's building it:

Trailer I want built:

Alternatively I looked at these, but like the idea of having the bottom exposed to save weight and be able to get under it when out and about if I needed to. Either way I'll add these gravel guards to the front/side to help with being exposed

• I am thinking about purchasing a trailer to tow my Slingshot to the events. As of right now I am leaning towards a all aluminum 16 foot tandem axle enclosed trailer. I won’t the aluminum trailer because I don’t want to replace my truck. I have a Toyota Tacoma with the factory towing package. The truck is rated for 6800 pounds towing capacity. This is why I and wanting a aluminum trailer to keep the towing weight well below the trucks towing capacity. What I am wanting to know, what length you guys recommend, single or tandem axle, etc. and what options you would recommend getting on the trailer. Any advice would be a great help before I order the trailer.

I use an 18' V nose

V Nose trailers have a little less drag than a flat nose - not much but I did notice a difference in mileage from my older flat trailer

Plus the V portion give you some extra storage

Try and get a trailer that has a dove tail - it will make angle of entry easier - most trailers rated as car haulers will have it

Go for the heavier axles 10,00o lb if you can

Flow thru ventilation avoid vents that open and close they eventually leak

Side entry doors are a big help

I have to use race ramps with mine because of my front splitter

Good luck

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I have a little experience with trailers, we own 4 of them.

First get your tape measure and measure the outside to outside width of the front tires. Custom tires are wider than stock and rims have different offsets. A 16 ft should work since the SS is about 13 ft. long. However if you want more room an 18 ft would do that. I would recommend the 16 though.

Trailer Mfg's use different measurements, for example some V nose are measured from where the V nose starts others include the extra space. You can use that space to put junk in but not the nose of the sling.

I have an Alumina tilt 18 ft to haul our slings and Vette around on it is open. The only reason I went 18 ft was for the cars. I wouldn't recommend this trailer.

I would get a 16 foot V nose double axle if I had to do it again.

There are basically two types of enclosed trailers a cargo or a car hauler. The car hauler normally has the rear end that is angled down (dove tail) this helps but in most cases you may need extra ramps because the front end is so low it will drag on the ramp which is not long enough to avoid this The ramp should be heavy duty.

Tie downs. If you get a car hauler it will probably come with tie downs in the floor. You can see these in the picture above, or if you custom order you can pic where they go. Trailer floors are 3/4 inch plywood, if the tie downs like those above are just held in place by 4 screws good luck. One of the best ways to tie down is E track .It is held down by many screws and offers you a choice of how and where you tie to the SS. Foe example on the A frame or over the tire with a net.

One company that can make any tie down strap you need is MAC Tie downs, look them up on the internet, you can always use the cheap ass ones from Walmart.

Single or double axle. I would go double for two reasons. You can carry more weight and if your load is not balanced they do not swerve as bad . 7,000 lb. for the axles are ok you can go 10,000 if you want, extra cost, higher registration fees, larger tires. Keep in mind these trailers will come with electric brakes which will require your jap truck to have the connector for them and the control unit inside the cab.

As I said I would go enclosed. I know the SS is waterproof but the first thing you don't need to do at an event is look for a car wash or spend an hour cleaning it. They are not dirt proof.

Their are many options you can get which will make your life easier, most dealers can help you out.

Jamesgn

• I have a little experience with trailers, we own 4 of them.

First get your tape measure and measure the outside to outside width of the front tires. Custom tires are wider than stock and rims have different offsets. A 16 ft should work since the SS is about 13 ft. long. However if you want more room an 18 ft would do that. I would recommend the 16 though.

Trailer Mfg's use different measurements, for example some V nose are measured from where the V nose starts others include the extra space. You can use that space to put junk in but not the nose of the sling.

I have an Alumina tilt 18 ft to haul our slings and Vette around on it is open. The only reason I went 18 ft was for the cars. I wouldn't recommend this trailer.

I would get a 16 foot V nose double axle if I had to do it again.

There are basically two types of enclosed trailers a cargo or a car hauler. The car hauler normally has the rear end that is angled down (dove tail) this helps but in most cases you may need extra ramps because the front end is so low it will drag on the ramp which is not long enough to avoid this The ramp should be heavy duty.

Tie downs. If you get a car hauler it will probably come with tie downs in the floor. You can see these in the picture above, or if you custom order you can pic where they go. Trailer floors are 3/4 inch plywood, if the tie downs like those above are just held in place by 4 screws good luck. One of the best ways to tie down is E track .It is held down by many screws and offers you a choice of how and where you tie to the SS. Foe example on the A frame or over the tire with a net.

One company that can make any tie down strap you need is MAC Tie downs, look them up on the internet, you can always use the cheap ass ones from Walmart.

Single or double axle. I would go double for two reasons. You can carry more weight and if your load is not balanced they do not swerve as bad . 7,000 lb. for the axles are ok you can go 10,000 if you want, extra cost, higher registration fees, larger tires. Keep in mind these trailers will come with electric brakes which will require your jap truck to have the connector for them and the control unit inside the cab.

As I said I would go enclosed. I know the SS is waterproof but the first thing you don't need to do at an event is look for a car wash or spend an hour cleaning it. They are not dirt proof.

Their are many options you can get which will make your life easier, most dealers can help you out.

Jamesgn

As others have said I like a tandem axle for handling and load distribution. Sling thing Trailer's has the best setup I've seen as far as ready to use but definitely not the most inexpensive. I picked one up last spring and love it and custom wheels were no problem.

They come with everything you need to haul the sling. I did buy the locks separately but that was it. It's really nice being able to stand outside the trailer to strap down the front wheels and they have the smoothest sides out there. I'm in no way affiliated with them other than being a satisfied customer. By the way mine is a 16' V-nose enclosed aka ConnMan special (weight is about the same as the sling) Look around there are lots of choices and options.

• As others have said I like a tandem axle for handling and load distribution. Sling thing Trailer's has the best setup I've seen as far as ready to use but definitely not the most inexpensive. I picked one up last spring and love it and custom wheels were no problem.

They come with everything you need to haul the sling. I did buy the locks separately but that was it. It's really nice being able to stand outside the trailer to strap down the front wheels and they have the smoothest sides out there. I'm in no way affiliated with them other than being a satisfied customer. By the way mine is a 16' V-nose enclosed aka ConnMan special (weight is about the same as the sling) Look around there are lots of choices and options.

The SlingThing Cave 16’ tandem axle trailer is the one I am leaning towards. I talked with them back in June, but was waiting on ordering it in the January/ February timeframe. During loading, does the gate with the fold down beaver tail allow you enough clearance that the front spoiler don’t drag? I have 20” rims on the front of my Slingshot. I have measured the distance from the outside of the tires and it looks like it will fit with a couple of inches on each side=O. Being you already own a SlingThing enclosed trailer are there any options you would add or leave off? Thanks for the information.

• The SlingThing Cave 16’ tandem axle trailer is the one I am leaning towards. I talked with them back in June, but was waiting on ordering it in the January/ February timeframe. During loading, does the gate with the fold down beaver tail allow you enough clearance that the front spoiler don’t drag? I have 20” rims on the front of my Slingshot. I have measured the distance from the outside of the tires and it looks like it will fit with a couple of inches on each side=O. Being you already own a SlingThing enclosed trailer are there any options you would add or leave off? Thanks for the information.

I ordered mine 6" taller which makes the ramp 6" longer and have never experienced any clearance issues loading. It also makes it nicer for standing inside. Your correct about the clearance on the walls, with my custom wheels I have about two inches on each side but it's a piece of cake after you've loaded it a couple of times. Mine is well optioned and the only thing I have that I might do without is the driver's side door and I knew going in I wouldn't really need it with the sling but was thinking about down the road. They come with four LEDs installed inside and after I got it home I added four LED strips, two the length of the ceiling (option) and one at the base of each wall running the length of the trailer. Those at the base of the walls are nice for loading,also added backup lights. They will build it your way but you have to specify what you want.

Happy to answer any questions I can 😁

• What LED Strips did you use?

Don't know a brand. They were some left over from a job on my son in law's work truck . He bought more than he needed and left them here. They are just generic five meter rolls in daylight white. Hope this helps

• As DER had mentioned, I helped Capt. Van design the V-Cave. Mine was the first one, hence they call it the ConnMan Edition.

The stock V-Cave is a 16' Box plus the V nose. I ordered mine with an extra foot (17') and an extra 6" height, making it 6' 6" tall inside. I have upper and lower cabinets in the nose.

I also went with 15" tires, and specifically went with GoodYear Endurance Trailer Tires. They are relatively new, and the only trailer tire made in the USA. I also went with a full size door on the drivers side as well. I bought it this way for resale purposes.

Also paid extra for the heavy duty ramp, which you need if a car is to be hauled in it.

I bought all my own lights as well. Optronics lights from E-Trailer. Double tail lights with integral back up lights. Optronics load lights and awning lights on the side. Had them wired so when the truck is in reverse, all those lights come on. It's like a crime scene when it's lit up!!

I have 12 clearance lights on each side of the trailer. Upper and lower matching. It's like a Christmas Tree at night!!

The axles are custom made for Slingthing by Dexter, allowing the trailer to be lower. That along with the Beaver Tail, gives you no issues when loading the SS.

My trailer weighs 1,900 lbs. empty. It has a full ceiling and is insulated as well. No plywood at all in these trailers, which keeps them lighter than other aluminum trailers.

PM me if you have any more questions.

Good luck in your purchase!!

8)

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• Any thoughts on trailer manufacturers? I live in TN and I know there are a lot of dealers in GA. Reading through the reviews is dizzying. Seems like there is a mix of people who like and hate most brands. I like the slingthing trailer I'm not sure I want to shed that much coin though. My SUV vehicle will only have 5k towing capacity. I will also have the 4 pin plug. What do I need to do in order to accommodate electric brakes? This would be my first trailer so looking for suggestions and advice. Thanks!

• I just bought a new trailer to use for my slingshot. Went with an open trailer so I could use it for other things as well. Mine is a 14ft single axle steal since aluminum and steal of that size trailer is not that much difference in weight. You have to beef up aluminum trailers a little to carry same weight. The cost was about $1700 new. Weight distribution is great. Easy to maneuver by hand. It has a 5ft ramp, but I use 3 motorcycle ramps to extend to 9ft for easy install. I’ll be ordering a heavy cover for the sling to keep rain and dirt off when traveling.

• Any thoughts on trailer manufacturers? I live in TN and I know there are a lot of dealers in GA. Reading through the reviews is dizzying. Seems like there is a mix of people who like and hate most brands. I like the slingthing trailer I'm not sure I want to shed that much coin though. My SUV vehicle will only have 5k towing capacity. I will also have the 4 pin plug. What do I need to do in order to accommodate electric brakes? This would be my first trailer so looking for suggestions and advice. Thanks!

Cman

I have been recently taking with the folks at Slingthing trailers about there enclosed trailers. There 14’ enclosed trailer weighs in around 1100lbs and is all aluminum. With the slingshot, that would put you around 2900-3000lbs. As for as I know, the 14’ enclosed trailer is there smallest. You will need to upgrade your 4 pin plug to the 7 pin plug and add a brake controller to you tow vehicle. The 7 pin plug is needed for the brakes on the trailer. Hope this helps.