My DDM turbo review

• Week after the 4th. Hope to see you out there somewhere! We have a dozen (up to 14 is wives drive too) Slingshots and it's going to be a challenge to keep us all together along with gas stops, pee breaks, food and lodging..... with the aggressive routes we have planned. It's still a work in progress.....

I'll PM you here soon.....

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Okay, working on my install today. I just sent out the ECM yesterday so I'm in no hurry.

Dave@DDMWorks & Casper2286 - What's the tips and tricks to getting the oil drain pan out?

I have it off, and the engine is lifted as high as I can get it (driver side mount bracket hitting the steering shaft). But no matter how I twist and squeeze, I can't get the driver side mount point to drop below the radiator mount / frame cross brace to allow it to come forward.

I heard something about cutting out the back of the plastic radiator shroud, but I dunno how I'm going to get in there to do it.

Got Ideas?

• Okay, got it out. I had to unbolt the reservoir tank and then pry up on the passenger side engine mount and the pan came out easy.

While I had it out, I cut out the back of the fan shroud so that when I put the new one in, it slid in with plenty of room.

But there is NO WAY to keep from touching the RTV, doesn't matter how careful. You're either going to touch it with your fingers trying to hold the pan or bounce it off the bottom of the engine while trying to put it up. I wasn't sure about the directions so I put RTV on the pan, then put on the fiber gasket, then more RTV on top of the gasket to hit the bottom of block. I tightened and re-tightened every bolt a couple of times (don't have a torque wrench) so I hope it should be good and not leak.

• Okay, got it out. I had to unbolt the reservoir tank and then pry up on the passenger side engine mount and the pan came out easy.

While I had it out, I cut out the back of the fan shroud so that when I put the new one in, it slid in with plenty of room.

But there is NO WAY to keep from touching the RTV, doesn't matter how careful. You're either going to touch it with your fingers trying to hold the pan or bounce it off the bottom of the engine while trying to put it up. I wasn't sure about the directions so I put RTV on the pan, then put on the fiber gasket, then more RTV on top of the gasket to hit the bottom of block. I tightened and re-tightened every bolt a couple of times (don't have a torque wrench) so I hope it should be good and not leak.

You should be good, the gasket we make does a great job sealing up everything. The trickiest part is the area between the transmission and back of the engine, it is pretty thin through there to get all the old RTV out. I am updating the instructions this week for some other tweaks and I will add a little something about this in there to help everyone in the future, always appreciate feedback on instructions, thanks!

• You should be good, the gasket we make does a great job sealing up everything. The trickiest part is the area between the transmission and back of the engine, it is pretty thin through there to get all the old RTV out. I am updating the instructions this week for some other tweaks and I will add a little something about this in there to help everyone in the future, always appreciate feedback on instructions, thanks!

Thanks Dave. One thing you should update in your instructions about cleaning off the RTV:

Carefully remove all the old RTV (cutting up the back of your hands) then clean with alcohol to remove any RTV residue (and find all those cuts on the back of your hand). ^^

• Thanks Dave. One thing you should update in your instructions about cleaning off the RTV:

Carefully remove all the old RTV (cutting up the back of your hands) then clean with alcohol to remove any RTV residue (and find all those cuts on the back of your hand). ^^

Brake cleaner works well at finding those cuts also ;)

Thanks for the suggestions :thumbsup:

Are you doing this alone? You got to be very careful with that

Keep Three Wheels Down

• IT'S ALIVE!

Got the ECM back today. Went and rechecked every single bolt/screw/fitting again. Did the 2 fake starts without the injectors plugged in. Rechecked for leaks. Plugged in the injector and it started right up! Let it run for only about 30 seconds then rechecked for leaking with a flashlight. Started a 2nd time and let it run for about 2 mins while I re-re-rechecked everything again. Noticed a little bit of smoking coming from the Turbo area, but couldn't pinpoint the exact source.

Can anyone verify if I have the coolant hoses in the right configuration?

• Longer one with the 90 degree fitting goes to the inside of the turbo and then to the forward coolant pipe.
    • Shorter one with the straight fitting goes to the outside of the turbo (coming straight up) and then to the rear coolant pipe.

• IT'S ALIVE!

Got the ECM back today. Went and rechecked every single bolt/screw/fitting again. Did the 2 fake starts without the injectors plugged in. Rechecked for leaks. Plugged in the injector and it started right up! Let it run for only about 30 seconds then rechecked for leaking with a flashlight. Started a 2nd time and let it run for about 2 mins while I re-re-rechecked everything again. Noticed a little bit of smoking coming from the Turbo area, but couldn't pinpoint the exact source.

Can anyone verify if I have the coolant hoses in the right configuration?

• Longer one with the 90 degree fitting goes to the inside of the turbo and then to the forward coolant pipe.
    • Shorter one with the straight fitting goes to the outside of the turbo (coming straight up) and then to the rear coolant pipe.

You have the coolant lines in that picture routed correctly.

Looks good :thumbsup: