Classic Car Pricing: - Who's Got 'Em and Who Wants to Sell?

• I can understand your regrets - my first car was a 1964 Porsche 356c - - - young and dumb I traded it in because I wanted a "new" car - - - - if I had that car today it would be worth a small fortune - - - - assuming I hadnt wrecked it

Edward Neal when I picked up the Meteor in Caldwell, ID the guy I bought it from, Bruce, told me he just bought a 356. I don't remember the exact year or if it had letters but he described it as the biggest piece of s#!t he ever bought and thought he was being stupid until he called a friend of his in Cali that restores them. The restorer told Bruce he would pay him double whatever he paid so he was preparing to trailer it down. The numbers? Bruce paid $15k and flipped it for $30k. Not bad!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Edward Neal when I picked up the Meteor in Caldwell, ID the guy I bought it from, Bruce, told me he just bought a 356. I don't remember the exact year or if it had letters but he described it as the biggest piece of s#!t he ever bought and thought he was being stupid until he called a friend of his in Cali that restores them. The restorer told Bruce he would pay him double whatever he paid so he was preparing to trailer it down. The numbers? Bruce paid $15k and flipped it for $30k. Not bad!

I have heard of 356c's selling for a great deal more than that - - originals in great condition are hard to find from what I hear rust was an issue on many

One of the things I think that made the 1964 356C that I had special was that 64 was the first year with 4 wheel disk brakes

hind sight is a great thing - by the time I sold mine the bumpers had been removed and replaced with nerf bars, the motor had been built, Koni shocks installed, lowered a tad and Porsche allow wheels - - - all great mods for the slaloming and rallying I did with my father, but not good at all for retaining value for a future collector

Like I said in my post above I was young and dumb and had no clue how desirable it would eventually become - to me it was just an 11 year old car that I had bought used for $2,800 and I wanted my first new car so I traded it in at a Toyota dealer for a new Toyota Corolla station wagon that I later put shag carpet in along with a single sideband CB radio with a giant antenna and a not so legal 1000 watt amplifier - - you could stand outside the car holding a 4 foot florescent lightbulb in your hand and it would light up when the radio mike was keyed up and transmitting - - - - talked to people all over the country from that stupid station wagon

Later I traded that Toyota in for a used 1973 Ford Gran Torino Sport with a 351 Cleveland under the hood

oh well - - as cool as it might be to have the Porsche or even the Gran Torino right now I still think my Slingshot is better, more fun to drive and actually gets more attention even than cars costing a great deal more

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Ford fairlane sport

Winner! 1963 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe

That's a beauty!

If you don't mind, how much and what's her condition? She looks good!

Well Marco I got all of her and she's pretry good for now.

Seriously it's rust free, has a fresh 302 and C6 auto, digital dash, Fitech EFI, Mustang II front disc brake suspension and new interior so it's kinda unusual. Unless you talk to my wife it's probably not for sale.

• Winner! 1963 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe

Seriously it's rust free, has a fresh 302 and C6 auto, digital dash, Fitech EFI, Mustang II front disc brake suspension and new interior so it's kinda unusual. Unless you talk to my wife it's probably not for sale.

Doug I think I saw a spot on 'market place' where your lovely wife had put YOU up for sale....lowest bidder!!!!

• Winner! 1963 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe

I wouldn't buy yours Doug, but damn if you've got some skills in this area.

So I was wondering the price, because if you enjoy this and could find me something... Well...

But if I can't even afford it, no bother! 😂

• I wouldn't buy yours Doug, but damn if you've got some skills in this area.

So I was wondering the price, because if you enjoy this and could find me something... Well...

But if I can't even afford it, no bother! 😂

I love it and made what I think is a smokin' deal which is why I drove to Bakersfield to get it (with a one day side trip to Phoenix and back to pick up some parts my buddy bought for his '66 Cyclone GT convertible). As far as price, well, I've been flipping houses for 20 years and I NEVER talk purchase price with anyone because it is irrelevant to the sales price which I am more than willing to talk about. But to give you an idea of the deal I made, the guy selling it offered me $500 to not buy the car when I got there because of the response to his ad. I feel like it's an $18k car the way it sits and I can make it a $22k car with a few tweaks.

If you have something in mind for yourself I can certainly keep a lookout but I'll tell you that neither of the cars I just bought are what I thought I was looking for. I just do a daily search and react to what I see that I like and can afford. I got this one because I was the first responder to his ad about 15 hours after it went up and he was a man of his word. There is still some honor in this world.

My dad just starting looking for a 59 or 1960 Caddy El Dorado. He is not liking most prices we've seen lol.

The owner of the local tire shop I use has a fully restored 1960 Lincoln Mark V convertible. That car books out about $70k-$80k. Of course you could do one yourself for a lot more.

• Here's a couple more pics of the Fairlane. As much as I like this car, there is a chance I'll sell it after I fix a few things. I just don't have enough space until/unless I build a shop. With the price of materials, that isn't really appealing right now.

The interior is nice. It just needs the headliner snugged up a bit.

The engine is fresh and there's a Fitech fuel injection system on there along with an aluminum radiator and electric fan. I need to add a dual exhaust to the headers and weld in some proper patches on the fender wells where the shock towers were cut out for the Mustang II front end. The air cleaner is the wrong size so I'll swap that out. I may pull the motor to detail and paint the engine bay.

Overall it's a solid body with some rough spots from previous repairs. It's definitely a candidate to take back down to metal and put a proper paint job on but I'll likely leave that for the next owner. This could be a $30k car with the right body and paint work.

• Well, I've been sorting out the Fairlane. The story is that a couple built this car in Maryland in 2017/18 then the wife died of cancer and the husband sold the car. I didn't get the story on how it got to Bakersfield, CA where I found it. It is apparent that the car never got properly shaken down as it has a few issues. It turns out that there are only 170 miles put on this car since the build and I've done 30 of those.

A trip to the suspension shop and some time on the rack revealed that there are several sub-standard and improper welds on some rear suspension parts, one rear shock is not installed or set up correctly, the Mustang II front suspension is not properly welded to the frame, and the steering column is too long, is hitting the engine when crossing center, and needs to be shortened.

A trip to the tranny shop confirmed that it is in fact a C6 transmission as I was told.

A trip to the exhaust shop came up with a price of $850 to replace the improperly installed single exhaust with dual Magnaflows. He'll just have to figure out how to route it past the larger C6 that blocked the exhaust tunnels without going under them like the current exhaust.

The right front fender is not attached to the frame and is flopping around so I'll address that when I'm in my nephew's welding/fab shop next week fixing the aforementioned issues, as well as properly patching the fender wells where the shock towers were cut out for the rack and pinion front end. I'll clean up and reroute some of the wiring that looks pretty amateur and detail out the engine bay.

My plan was/is to sort this rig out then sell it to make a few bucks but the more I drive it, the more it grows on me. It's more of a resto-mod than my stocker Meteor but it's kinda cool. I know this isn't for everyone, especially the purists, but the digital dash is pretty slick and reports the info you want to know.

The radio doesn't belong there and I have polished up the original to replace it. If I add tunes they will be in the glovebox or trunk.

Overall it's a solid, rust-free car and I know I can get it in shape. Then it will be 'for sale' as I drive it around town and to shows and the like. Yep. For sale.

Peace to all!

• I was thinking about buying myself a "Plain Car" that needed some work that I could handle to keep myself busy. After a lot of looking, I found a project that just needs a little TLC. But I would have to change my thoughts of getting a Plain Car and end up with a CAR PLANE

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE