Classic Car Pricing: - Who's Got 'Em and Who Wants to Sell?

• So this year sucked and nobody had any fun including me so I've decided it's time to buy something to remind me of my youth. I've been sniffing around for an American Classic Car which to me is something from 1960-1969. I'd love to find a 1960, the year I was born, or a late 60's like the '68 LeMans or "69 Chevelle SS I owned in my teenage years. The problem is pricing. Everyone loves the Camaro, Firebirds and GTOs, including me and, accordingly, the prices are ridiculous. The pony cars are cool but also pretty common. I wouldn't consider one unless it's a Mach 1, Boss, Fastback or GT. Can't afford those either. My life-long dream car is a '67 Vette 427, 4-spd, removable hardtop. Not going to even talk about that. I'd really like something with a cool (in my opinion) body style that you don't see often. Late 50's would be considered for the right model (just missed out on a '58 Riviera) and ;70-'73 might get my attention but probably not. I'm thinking 20k-ish but am not seeing anything that hits the mark at that price.

So my question is do any of you follow the classic car market closely enough to tell me if prices might come down if/when we get a hitch in the economy, or more specifically the stock market, or do they just keep going up as the stock gets older?

And do any of you have, or know someone wanting to sell such a vehicle? Location isn't important for the right deal. Of course I'm looking to buy low because I have to convince myself that it's an investment so that I can convince my bride that it's an investment.

Here's an example of one that got my attention. Never paid much attention to the El Camino but this body style with the fins is pretty hot. It's got a 70's vintage 454 power plant and is painted Ontario Orange from the 1970 Corvette. It's well optioned and professionally restored. But it's $30k! I've talked to the owner on this, and another car he sold, and he says if I twist his arm, knock him down, and buy his wife flowers he might let it go for $27k. I'd be interested in your opinions on that.

https://seattle.craigslist.org…el-camino/7247045443.html

Come on guys I need your help!

OK that's bullshit but I would sincerely appreciate it.

Peace out! SlingLow

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I don't know much... And if I could afford something, I'd buy one of those retrofit classics like an old school Mustang exterior with the new mustang interior, engine, electronics, etc. Or like that gold AMC Javelin with the hellcat engine.

https://jalopnik.com/i-drove-t…p-gold-amc-jav-1822882311

What about a Chevy Nova? I have a friend, don't laugh, a friend that, with his dad, works on "flipping" old school cars and could give him a holler to see if something pans out.

• I don't know much... And if I could afford something, I'd buy one of those retrofit classics like an old school Mustang exterior with the new mustang interior, engine, electronics, etc. Or like that gold AMC Javelin with the hellcat engine.

https://jalopnik.com/i-drove-t…p-gold-amc-jav-1822882311

What about a Chevy Nova? I have a friend, don't laugh, a friend that, with his dad, works on "flipping" old school cars and could give him a holler to see if something pans out.

Not laughing. I flip houses but it's getting to be too much work. Looking for something easier. And one of the coolest cars I've seen recently was a quote/unquote '67 Vette that was a modern fibreglass Vette body on a C5 Vette donor chassis. This guy builds the body kits (like kev does), and marries it to a modern chassis. I thought it was the coolest thing I ever saw but knew something was off from the original '67. Once he explained it I understood how 'original' that is. All in: $70+k. I'm out.

• I have been looking for 68 or 69 Chevelle for yeas. I have owned a few back in the 70's when you could get them at a reasonable price. Someone here turned my onto these guys http://www.maplemotors.com/cars.php. They have had a few in the past 2 months. You can also check their past sales.

I guy can dream!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I've often shared your sentiments and thought to myself, when I'm ready to pull the trigger on this, I'm just gonna go to Scottsdale and buy a car at the Barrett Jackson Auction. Of course there's the chance of a price war, if someone wants the same car that I want, but I've always been confident that the starting bid for any car they auction off was fair. Good luck with your search and remember, "Arizona Cars" are always better buys... 😉

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Well you could always back up a few years. Got a 1935 two door flat back Hot Rod 350 ci with a 400 trans. It was built in 1974 with hand rubbed black laquior. It has been sitting in the play room since 2005 with a new Walker super cool radiator on the back seat. I put around 100,000 miles on it from 1992 to 2005.

• Well you could always back up a few years. Got a 1935 two door flat back Hot Rod 350 ci with a 400 trans. It was built in 1974 with hand rubbed black laquior. It has been sitting in the play room since 2005 with a new Walker super cool radiator on the back seat. I put around 100,000 miles on it from 1992 to 2005.

Well I'm looking at everything. However, methinks if you were going to let that go it would be sold by now. I thought you had an old truck? Maybe I'm misremembering...

• Well I'm looking at everything. However, methinks if you were going to let that go it would be sold by now. I thought you had an old truck? Maybe I'm misremembering...

It has been for sale but has not been advertised. Nope, never owned but one truck, bought it to haul dirt bikes. Sold it as soon as I got rid of the bikes. Got no use for trucks other than they are still rear wheel drive and maybe some day I may be forced to buy another one. I did sell the 67 Corvette 435 coupe after 26 years around 1998 or so.

• I have been looking for 68 or 69 Chevelle for yeas. I have owned a few back in the 70's when you could get them at a reasonable price. Someone here turned my onto these guys http://www.maplemotors.com/cars.php. They have had a few in the past 2 months. You can also check their past sales.

I guy can dream!

I've been cruising the Maple Motors site too thanks to my fellow delinquents here at slingshotinfo.com. The good stuff goes pretty quickly there. I did see a Chevelle (I think '69) listed this week somewhere for $149.995 that said 'over $400k invested. My questions are. HOW??? and WHY???

Do you have a price range or just a dream? Maybe I'll come across something in my search.

• This isn't mine, but I want it so badly, I can taste it. It belongs to my uncle, who has built these things from the ground up for most of his life. This one is a 1929 Open-Cab Ford. He's nearly finished with it, but still has a bit left to do.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Check https://www.rcnmag.com/classifieds. You can also sign-up for rcnmag emails that contain articles about rare/unusual vehicles as well as special; finds from EBay or CraigsList. https://www.SearchTempest.com will allow you to query all CraigsList sites within whatever distance from whatever location you specify (EBay, too) and I believe it now also allows you to have anything meeting your search parameters automatically emailed to you.

Edited 2 times, last by BKL ().

• I've often shared your sentiments and thought to myself, when I'm ready to pull the trigger on this, I'm just gonna go to Scottsdale and buy a car at the Barrett Jackson Auction. Of course there's the chance of a price war, if someone wants the same car that I want, but I've always been confident that the starting bid for any car they auction off was fair. Good luck with your search and remember, "Arizona Cars" are always better buys... 😉

I am just sitting here watching Barre Jackson - sure would have to get rid of lot of stuff and maybe a wife to fill one of those dreams

So can anybody go to that auction or do you have to be an invited zillionaire?