Classic Car Pricing: - Who's Got 'Em and Who Wants to Sell?

• Short sidewalls will be stiffer than normal sidewalls and should offer better traction, everything else being equal, but ride comfort will definitely suffer. The bad ride is the main reason I dislike the combo (well, that and the additional cost for ultra-low profile tires)!

• You have to laugh at some of these kids who are renting these huge chuck wagon wheels worth 5k or more and putting them on$1000 cars. Some of the wheels are so big they can not even turn the front wheels. Pretty common to see the same car up on blocks after a few months when the either get tired of paying or just stop paying rent for wheels and they get repossessed. They even do it to trucks and SUV's. Not sure if it is just a thing around here or everywhere

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• You have to laugh at some of these kids who are renting these huge chuck wagon wheels worth 5k or more and putting them on$1000 cars. Some of the wheels are so big they can not even turn the front wheels. Pretty common to see the same car up on blocks after a few months when the either get tired of paying or just stop paying rent for wheels and they get repossessed. They even do it to trucks and SUV's. Not sure if it is just a thing around here or everywhere

Makes them look like a hay wagon

• Makes them look like a hay wagon

They just look stupid!

The other new thing I just do not understand is the trucks with the nose all jacked up in the air and the ass end dragging. How the hell do you even drive something like that? Can't even see over the hood. I am sure there is some reason for it but I asked a few kids at a gas station why they set up the truck that way and they just looked at me like I should know the answer. We did some crazy stuff when we were younger but it always had a purpose - not always a good one but we had a plan.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Be careful if you do business with this company Orangeman . I just put in an offer on one of their vehicles and while I was waiting to hear back they sold it to another party just because their offer was 'full price' and '$10,000 higher'. Totally uncalled for...

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• When I was a kid we jacked up the back and lowered the front. Think they called it a California Rake but being from Iowa I might be wrong. hehe There is a full size pickup truck running around here that might be lower then my Slingshot. Why fore I ask. The trucks with the front jacked up does help drain rain from the bed I guess. My F350 I would have to stop on the incline in my driveway to drain the bed.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• When I was a kid we jacked up the back and lowered the front. Think they called it a California Rake but being from Iowa I might be wrong. hehe There is a full size pickup truck running around here that might be lower then my Slingshot. Why fore I ask. The trucks with the front jacked up does help drain rain from the bed I guess. My F350 I would have to stop on the incline in my driveway to drain the bed.

yep that's what we did as kids around here - jack up the back and but on big fat tires and some who had the $$ would put smaller skinny wheels (often centerlines) on the front ------ - trying to make it look like a drag race car ---- - although I never heard it called a "California Rake) and I have been in CA all my life

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Edward Neal yep like I said I am from Iowa and I guess California Rake just sounded good to us. Well along with Lake Pipes on the sides and a Continental Kit on the back. Oh don't forget the fuzzy dice on the rear view mirror.

• I'm driving north to look at a '57 Chev tomorrow. The tri-5s were the ones that guys loved to do the California rake on (we didn't call it that either) back in the 60s. Not my style but I do like the back raised a bit over the front for an aggressive stance. I don't remember there being air ride back then but I used air shocks to put a little extra lift in the rear at the expense of handling.

• Edward Neal yep like I said I am from Iowa and I guess California Rake just sounded good to us. Well along with Lake Pipes on the sides and a Continental Kit on the back. Oh don't forget the fuzzy dice on the rear view mirror.

https://www.homeownershub.com/…california-rake-3525-.htm

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Ha way down the list of post on that link this guy got it right. Maybe he to was from Iowa. Dunno about a California roof, but a California Rake describes a hot rod that is higher in the rear than the front. As opposed to an East Coast Rake, which is higher in the front.

• I'm driving north to look at a '57 Chev tomorrow. The tri-5s were the ones that guys loved to do the California rake on (we didn't call it that either) back in the 60s. Not my style but I do like the back raised a bit over the front for an aggressive stance. I don't remember there being air ride back then but I used air shocks to put a little extra lift in the rear at the expense of handling.

Monroe air shocks had them on the back of a 1971 Z28 Camaro - - - and yes it probably didnt help handling, but we were more into drag racing - - used to go out to Irwindale drag strip on Tuesday nights and race all of our friends in the 1/4 mile

• Monroe air shocks had them on the back of a 1971 Z28 Camaro - - - and yes it probably didnt help handling, but we were more into drag racing - - used to go out to Irwindale drag strip on Tuesday nights and race all of our friends in the 1/4 mile

We went to Portland International Raceway and raced the 1/8th. We'd uncap headers, mix in some AvGas, and even put on wrinkle walls if you had the cash and horsepower. There was no such thing as a tech check. Somehow we all survived - and had fun doing it!

• We went to Portland International Raceway and raced the 1/8th. We'd uncap headers, mix in some AvGas, and even put on wrinkle walls if you had the cash and horsepower. There was no such thing as a tech check. Somehow we all survived - and had fun doing it!

we used to take any car that ran - The Camaro was probably the only one that came close to belonging on a drag strip - Tuesday nights was public night and they didnt care what you ran, we ran motorcycles, VW's - even had a friend who brought an old cargo van - we all piled in the back and tied ourselves to the sides with some rope - the "tech check" guy said that was good enough - - only time I had a problem was when I raced my moms Cadillac against my friends moms Chrysler - - it was so quiet when we were staging we heard a guy in the stands yell "Oh no its the sleds!" and when we got through with the race the guy at the end wrote with shoe polish on my rear windshield "Take off the F'n hubcaps before you run again"

they tore that original track down back in 1977 and built a Miller brewery on the property - - I heard they built a 1/8 strip in the area in the late 90's , but from what I hear that one is now gone as well

Its really kind of sad - that drag strip gave us a good safe place to run our cars or to accept a challenge without having to do something stupid on public roads - I think it would be nice if there were more places like drag strips and other tracks that would let the public have some access where young guys and gals could burn off some of that youthful energy

We just used air shocks in the rear. That was what I used on the 60 Vette. If I had my choice today it would be 58 - 60 Vette or the 55 2 door Chev

• Ha way down the list of post on that link this guy got it right. Maybe he to was from Iowa. Dunno about a California roof, but a California Rake describes a hot rod that is higher in the rear than the front. As opposed to an East Coast Rake, which is higher in the front.

Never heard of the East Coast Rake except in GASSERS

• I had a 58 Chev but it was only a 283 probably a good think as a teenager I was a petty wild driver. My first car was a 57 Ford coup but it had a 6 in it and I drove it at top end a lot which I still remember was 72 mph. You could actually see the fuel gage needle moving toward empty.

• Mt first car was a 59 Chevy Belair or Biscayne (can't remember which) with a 235 Six and Three on the Tree. It was handed down to me after my Mom's Mother bought her a 69 Buick Electra. I eventually bought my Grandmother's (mom's Mother) 61 Buick Special with the aluminum 215 ci V8 that was ton of fun even with the 2-speed Powerglide transmission.

The 215 ci V8 used cylinder sleeves since aluminum castings at the time wouldn't hold up for raw cylinder use. After GM dropped that engine, Aston Martin licensed it and continued to use it and improve it up until around 2010 or so, IIRC.

Edited once, last by BKL ().