Classic Car Pricing: - Who's Got 'Em and Who Wants to Sell?

• I think you have to be a somebody

But you will most likely pay more there than elsewhere because the Auction house doesn't work for free. They have to pay that chick in the tight black pants that puts the sold signs on the cars

Can i not pay her directly? I mean tax free and all...

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Just ran across this at the local supermarket

i-GWSsWSF-X2.jpg

Classic cars are a fairly common sight around here. We have at least three dealers in Palm Springs that sell classic cars and the McCormick Classic Car Auction is a regular event every February and every November just before Thanksgiving - - heck despite Covid they still managed to hold it last month

McCormick's Classic Car Auctions

check out the link - they also have a showroom in Palm Springs that always has different classic cars on consignment who knows - they might be able to help you find what you are looking for

also I know we are not really near your location, but the auctions are open to anyone and the price to be allowed to bid on cars is only $30 - - and for $100 you can get a 2 day VIP Bidding pass - - - - might be worth a vacation out here and then you could drive your "new to you" car home

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I had a 1966 GTO hard top as my first car at age 16. Kick myself in the butt selling it.

if you have the $$$ McCormick's has this 1969 for sale

Lot_275_1969_PONTIAC_GTO_1.jpg

personally if I had the money I would prefer this genuine Shelby Cobra they have

1612_1965_SHELBY_COBRA_1.jpg

unfortunately I dont have $120,000 right now that I can spare for toys

but seriously - if you are looking for a classic check out their show room stock - - - or come out for an auction

current inventory

• these cars coming in several categories which determine the price....

Another factor is how bad do you want to buy one? How will it retain or increase it’s value.

my buddy has a ‘69 442 olds....which is classified as a survivor....meaning EVERYTHING is original.....his car is numbers matching....has 13,000 miles on it....the battery, tires, brakes, hoses, clamps, paint, interior, spare tire......EVERYTHING is there untouched...these bring big money. He has had several very knowledgeable people look at his car......he was told not to touch anything...don’t buff it or anything...... current value is between 50-60.....depending on who’s looking and how bad he wants to sell it....he’s had many offers....nobody wants to pay the price.....he doesn’t need to sell it....but he will if the price is right.

You have to decide if you want it to drive it around or keep it in a garage....

rarity increases the value....meaning they are a low production vehicle...only several thousand made...

the quality of the restoration is critical....lots of people are trying make a quick buck especially now when money is tight....and times are tough....buy one from somebody that doesn’t need the money....the more paper trail the vehicle has the better... number of owners matters...

take someone with you that lives and breathes cars....and knows the values.... and what to look for. If you get one from the people on tv shows the price is going to be high....custom restorations will be higher but should have the quality...does the vehicle need frame on or off restoration....resto mods are a hot ticket...but it’s not original anymore.

• $50k for that 'tribute' GTO judge? You see what I'm sayin'? I wish I had stupid money but I don't. I'm getting closer to a deal on that '60 El Camino. Stay tuned...

• $50k for that 'tribute' GTO judge? You see what I'm sayin'? I wish I had stupid money but I don't. I'm getting closer to a deal on that '60 El Camino. Stay tuned...

well, having known many people who have bought and sold cars through McCormick's the auction is really the best bet - - the showroom / consignment cars are often the cars that their owners want too much for and don't sell at the auction - - - on the other side of the coin I have seen some really great deals people have gotten at the auction - cars that for one reason or another the seller puts a low opening bid on and for one that for whatever reason doesnt attract a large number of bidders

I only actually went to the auction one time and it was a kick to watch - some really great looking cars would come up and seem to go at really low prices with almost no bidding and others where two or three interested bidders who apparently had more money than brains would get into a bidding war and drive the price up to the point of craziness

If I were in the market for a classic car or even a good deal on something like a used Porsche I would absolutely give the auction a try

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• well, having known many people who have bought and sold cars through McCormick's the auction is really the best bet - - the showroom / consignment cars are often the cars that their owners want too much for and don't sell at the auction - - - on the other side of the coin I have seen some really great deals people have gotten at the auction - cars that for one reason or another the seller puts a low opening bid on and for one that for whatever reason doesnt attract a large number of bidders

I only actually went to the auction one time and it was a kick to watch - some really great looking cars would come up and seem to go at really low prices with almost no bidding and others were two or three interested bidders who apparently had more money than brains would get into a bidding war and drive the price up to the point of craziness

If I were in the market for a classic car or even a good deal on something like a used Porsche I would absolutely give the auction a try

I would love to go to a car auction just to watch the action even if I weren't actively looking. I'm just not aware of any near me. I know a guy can bid online, on the phone or by proxy but unless I was in that rare air of the wealthy investor buying a known entity, it seems I would want to look over anything I would buy. The possibility of making a below market score would really rev my motor! I will have to look into the auction side.

I do have experience buying real estate at auction, both online and on the courthouse steps. I've made some pretty incredible deals that way but it takes a lot of time and effort. I went to the local foreclosure auctions for about 6 months before I ever got anything. Of course I had to get up to speed on title work and liens, then I had to convince a group of wealthier investors that I was costing them a ton of money on many auctions, and that they wouldn't see me around for a few months if I were to buy a house before I ever 'won' anything. There is no honor among thieves!

• I would love to go to a car auction just to watch the action even if I weren't actively looking. I'm just not aware of any near me. I know a guy can bid online, on the phone or by proxy but unless I was in that rare air of the wealthy investor buying a known entity, it seems I would want to look over anything I would buy. The possibility of making a below market score would really rev my motor! I will have to look into the auction side.

I do have experience buying real estate at auction, both online and on the courthouse steps. I've made some pretty incredible deals that way but it takes a lot of time and effort. I went to the local foreclosure auctions for about 6 months before I ever got anything. Of course I had to get up to speed on title work and liens, then I had to convince a group of wealthier investors that I was costing them a ton of money on many auctions, and that they wouldn't see me around for a few months if I were to buy a house before I ever 'won' anything. There is no honor among thieves!

well - next McCormick's auction should be this coming February and if I am not mistaken they do post most of the vehicles that will be auctioned listed online before the auction (they never have all of them because there are a bunch of late entries) anyway if nothing else February is prime season here and a great time to visit - - Perhaps if you havn't found what you want by then it might be the perfect time for a Snow Bird vacation - like I said you can fly out to our little airport and if you find the car you want you can drive it back home - - Flights right into Palm Springs from WA are very affordable :)

OK, I must have looked up the wrong car. That one is $85k after a frame off restoration. I could get my '67 Vette if I had tat kind of money.

well - next McCormick's auction should be this coming February and if I am not mistaken they do post most of the vehicles that will be auctioned listed online before the auction (they never have all of them because there are a bunch of late entries) anyway if nothing else February is prime season here and a great time to visit - - Perhaps if you havn't found what you want by then it might be the perfect time for a Snow Bird vacation - like I said you can fly out to our little airport and if you find the car you want you can drive it back home - - Flights right into Palm Springs from WA are very affordable :)

You got my attention. I'm looking at the inventory now. I assume that some of these will have reserve prices but I haven't seen anything on that yet.

The last car I bought was just north of Houston and was a 3 day drive home so it's not out of the question! Of course if I did not have a return plane ticket, I might be forced to squat somewhere for a while if I weren't successful. Someplace with a pool in the backyard...:beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes::diving_mask:

• Feb 26, 27, 28 2021

There is the link to the cars in the next auction - not very many yet its still 2 months plus away, but they say it will be updated as cars are added - you can click on the pictures and get a better look

As a side note, I like the first one, the Ford Model A Huckster - - would be a fun vehicle to own

• SlingLow

a friend who is into cars recommended this site autotempest

said it will search all of the sites that have classics and other cars - put in the car you are looking for and give it your zip and distance you are looking in and it will find whats out there

• Anyone who likes the Maple Motors Inventory is going to love this one:

Classic Cars For Sale - Buy Collector Cars - Volo Auto Sales (volocars.com)

Man you hit that one!

Great stuff there found a dream truck in the coming soon section - based on the price it we remain a dream!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• a little rich for my blood to drop that much at one time but lord knows I have done it a piece at a time in the past

I believe that's called payments.:winking_face:

That's a beaut MACAWS but I'm with ya. There's a lot a choices at that price.

Does anyone else have a problem with putting 20" rims on a muscle car? Just doesn't work for me...

• I believe that's called payments.:winking_face:

That's a beaut MACAWS but I'm with ya. There's a lot a choices at that price.

Does anyone else have a problem with putting 20" rims on a muscle car? Just doesn't work for me...

I agree. I don't like the look of tallerwheels with ultra-low profile tiresand prefer just going wider with a normal size tire/wheel, not to mention that the 20" wheel/tire combo would tend to change final gearing and reduce acceleration if the tire diameter is increaased.