Mods and goodies you wouldn't do again

• Oh man...this could be an insane list of things...mostly because I have probably tried more products than anyone else here that doesn't own a company. A lot of it was learning experiences...but some were just bad decisions and having a little extra coin in my pocket.

Couple of things I personally wouldn't do again:
    Big Wheels - going above 20 in the rear really made the ride suffer and made the slingshot very heavy to drive.

Klockwerks windshield - Overpriced and not much difference from the stock one...especially at higher speeds.

Factory SL windshield - Overpriced and didn't give me the air flow that I wanted

Graphics - I love what was custom made by the folks at AMR racing...but I should have really considered a full on paint job.

Sparco Steering wheel - Should have found a smaller one...feels like I am driving a school bus at times. Also I can't seem to line up the steering wheel where it's actually level when I drive.

SSV sub box - simply an awful product compared to other sub boxes on the market.

I do plan on doing some changes before summer...assuming everything goes smoothly with the new home and new baby on the way. New Spoiler, Powedercoat the current wheels, and need to get some of the tuning corrected.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• Today, I removed the "UAS Under-the-Dash" subwoofer box and added it to my list of "mods & goodies" I wouldn't do again. It was tuned and performed the way it was designed to, but only sounded good inside my garage. In fact, that's the only place I could hear it. It's just not all it's cracked up to be while you're out driving around and certainly NOT the solution if you desire earth-shattering base tones in your tunes. So, I'll find another use for the speakers and probably put the enclosure up for grabs in the marketplace. It's only my opinion, but I hope this helps anyone that was contemplating buying one of these things.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Today, I removed the "UAS Under-the-Dash" subwoofer box and added it to my list of "mods & goodies" I wouldn't do again. It was tuned and performed the way it was designed to, but only sounded good inside my garage. In fact, that's the only place I could hear it. It's just not all it's cracked up to be while you're out driving around and certainly NOT the solution if you desire earth-shattering base tones in your tunes. So, I'll find another use for the speakers and probably put the enclosure up for grabs in the marketplace. It's only my opinion, but I hope this helps anyone that was contemplating buying one of these things.

thank you - this is the perfect kind of post for this thread - - could save a fellow slingshot owner money and grief

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I've been thinking about replacing my SSV Works floor enclosures and replacing them with a homemade under-glovebox subwoofer enclosure similar to the UAS unit, but need to do a mock-up using cardboard to see if I can fit larger subs than the UAS box. I'd like to bridge 2 channels on my Clarion XC2410 4 channel amp to give me 150W RMS @ 4 ohms for the sub. I'm currently running 2 ohm 6.5" speakers to get 75W/channel from all 4 channels, but I really miss the legroom the floor enclosures take up, and hope an 8 or 10" sub will fit and provide enough volume so I can free up room for my legs. I've also considered using an 8" Bass tube, but it's too long to fit. I also researched using an 8" PVC pipe connector, but PVC prices for something like that have pretty much tripled over the last few years. Generally speaking, sealed enclosures are more compact, but require more power than a larger, ported enclosure can produce at lower power.

I've got enough other projects underway or in mind that it may still make sense to try the UAS enclosure if I can find one used.

As far as mods I regret buying, my only complaint is I've tried so many audio systems that I probably could have saved money if I'd just had one professionally sorted in the first place. At least I enjoy messing around with them. I've tried at least 4 radios or BT amps with the original Polaris floor enclosures, several different versions of Mod Pods originally designed for Jeeps and now have the SSV Works Floor and Roll Hoop enclosures.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I noticed the 2021 pics have speakers mounted in the roll hoops. Seems like a good place if you want loud.

Actually, I just installed those, so my Sling now has four identical 6.5 inch coaxials; two on the floor and two in the roll hoops, driven by a 300 watt amp, so I'm pushing about 75 watts to each speaker. They are much clearer and louder than stock, but only when you crank up the volume. The first thing I noticed, when driving around is that you don't even hear the speakers on the floor because your head is much closer to the other two. I don't mind that so much, as now I can actually hear my music quite clearly over the engine.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Actually, I just installed those, so my Sling now has four identical 6.5 inch coaxials; two on the floor and two in the roll hoops, driven by a 300 watt amp, so I'm pushing about 75 watts to each speaker. They are much clearer and louder than stock, but only when you crank up the volume. The first thing I noticed, when driving around is that you don't even hear the speakers on the floor because your head is much closer to the other two. I don't mind that so much, as now I can actually hear my music quite clearly over the engine.

I did the same thing - SSV Works Front (leg) pods and rear hoop pods, running 4 x 6.5" Kicker Speakers with LEDs off a single Kenwood 300.4 Marine amp (300W total, 75W each speaker). Sounds great to me although I do wish I could find a decent marine subwoofer that doesn't take up the rear storage. I found that playing around with the balance and fader I could move the "center" of the sound so that I don't just hear it behind my head. My sound seems to come right from my gear shift right now.

• but I don't buy products from anyone who will take my money or charge my card before a product actually ships - - there just too much that can and will go wrong

this happens a lot, especially with KIT purchases. My recent order being one. However I am lucky that the company I ordered from has an excellent reputation and I am not worried at all. I guess there are chances that have to be taken. The size of the company vs the popularity of the vehicle has a little bit to do with it. Not making excuses, nor stating it is ok to provide shitty customer service because that just isn't right.

Like everyone else and purchases, for me I don't think i have any major regrets except ideas that i thought would work or i wanted and just didn't come to fruition. I was going to put 3D lettering on the hood and never did. I think i wasted only about $20 on the letters. The CAI and CAT DELETE Pipe that I am not able to resell once my turbo comes in to me was worth it because i ran that kit for at least 2 years. But I have some HIP speaker pods that i spent about 200 on that i dont use because sitting in the seats muffles those speakers. so i took them out and they are sitting in the garage.

Might be right there with you... Same boat though sounds fine in garage and then out on road when it's cranked up not as good at all. I'm using ride command head unit so pretty sure splitting the one signal 3 ways is degrading it. I'm 90% done adding this LC7 will finish this morning. I know it's not exactly in the best spot but if it works I'll find a more water friendly spot to mount. I'm assuming/hoping it's signal related and might help but this is it, next option is to mount something under passenger seat or just say screw it and give up a storage box.....

• I did the same thing - SSV Works Front (leg) pods and rear hoop pods, running 4 x 6.5" Kicker Speakers with LEDs off a single Kenwood 300.4 Marine amp (300W total, 75W each speaker). Sounds great to me although I do wish I could find a decent marine subwoofer that doesn't take up the rear storage. I found that playing around with the balance and fader I could move the "center" of the sound so that I don't just hear it behind my head. My sound seems to come right from my gear shift right now.

You must have a more fancy head unit than the stock Ride Command. I don't have a fader control, but wish I did.

• Updating the above list after installing 2 knob adjustable coil overs.

Bill

I'm not sure how handy you are, but....take a look of some better quality 6.5s that are actually designed to be used as a "sub". Take a look at someone like Sundown Audio. I considered ordering one and modifying it to a ported enclosure for one of these. Might be something for you to play with since you already have the enclosure

2016.5 Pearl White SL LE

• I'm not sure how handy you are, but....take a look of some better quality 6.5s that are actually designed to be used as a "sub". Take a look at someone like Sundown Audio. I considered ordering one and modifying it to a ported enclosure for one of these. Might be something for you to play with since you already have the enclosure

Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure what direction I'm going to go with this. I'm no longer a fan of the "under-the-glovebox" enclosure, after having installed it, so I won't be putting it back. I'm also not a fan of sacrificing one or both of the storage cubbies behind the seats for more bass. It's just not that important to me. The four new coaxial speakers give me the crisp, clear sound I was looking for at driving speeds. The sub enclosure was really just an add-on that I thought was cool, but turned out to be a $300 mistake. I'm just going to hang on to the two 6.5 JL subs until I attend a Slingshot rally somewhere and see what others are doing. Maybe I'll discover something I can do with them that I haven't thought of yet.