Mods and goodies you wouldn't do again

• Like most of you over the years since I acquired my Slingshot I have add things and changed things to better make it mine. Most of the things I have modded ended up being things I have been very happy with and would absolutely do again and recommend to others, but a couple have been less successful.

As many of you may know I recently removed the Pedal Commander I got in the group buy. I like it and it is allot of fun, but it just doesn't fit my driving style and after the heat caused the adhesive to let go and it fell down around my feet when I was driving it just seemed like it could have caused a real problem so I removed it.

The second mod was a big one, 2 years ago today November 22, 2018 I installed a Mean Sling Sport top - - I got it because my wife hates the sun and I thought it would get her to ride with me more on longer trips - - well she did go with me on one trip to a slingshot event in Fallbrook, but other than that weekend, and some test driving I did, the top has spent 2 years hanging on hooks against a wall in my garage - - today I finally decided to remove the mounting hardware from my sling and I disassembled the top and put it away to free up space

so - it seems I have spent around $1,300 on mods that I probably would not spend on the same things if I had to do it all again - - - in both cases I really have no regrets I learned from both - - - If I want the wife to ride - we go after the sun sets or we go west in the morning and east in the evening no top needed

So - - what, if any, mods have you bought only to later realize that you either didn't want them or possibly wanted something different or better?

I can't be the only one here who has burnt a dollar or 2 on mods gone wrong 8o8o||

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I have a luggage rack ($700.00) --- one of the first --- Georgia said if we had a little more luggage space she would do some weekend trips on the Slingshot. We did do one

over night --- Down to Key West from Port Charlotte, FL. Did not need the rack for that trip, Harvey had his small trailer we all had our luggage in.

• Oh, this is opening a can of worms.

On SS #2, I regretted trying to paint a lot of the plastic with a rattle can. No matter how hard you try, it's just not perfect.

On this SS, I think the only thing I regret is some of the engine accessories that I've paid for already that will have to be pulled off soon. I really should have just bit the big $$ bullet up front instead of spending money on stuff that would eventually be pulled off (CAI, ECM Tune, etc)

• There have been a few but the one biggie would be the Hahn Intake System, it worked moving the powerband from 3,200-5,200 RPM to 3,200 RPM to red line but to me was not worth the money. It is still installed on Sling I and will not be moving to Sling II. The Cool Air Vent System works well if you are not running the front fenders, but with the fenders there is NO AIR. Also there is the Pedal Commander that most of you already know what I think about that one. Also there would be one of those +6 wind screens that came with Sling II. The difference in my short (cut down ) wind screen is like AC and the the +6 is like riding with the heater on in the summer. The rest were just small stuff ( $$$ )

• So far, the only thing I've done to my Sling that I later regretted was remove the Slingshot badge from the hood, so I ordered a new one and put it right back on. For me, it was like removing the three-pointed star from the front of a Mercedes. It's still a Mercedes, but it just wasn't the same... lol

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• As others have stated, I don't think I regret any purchases, it was a learning and growth event.

Madstatd windshield, it worked well with the adjustments, I just didn't care for how it looked, so I swapped it.

Blackhawk 5.0 brake pads, while they did work better than stock, I still felt like it wasn't stopping me how I wanted, even with upgraded rotors, so big brake kit did the trick for me.

I started off with a CAI and sold it later after getting the turbo, again, learning experience.

I've spent way too much money on exhaust things and I love how it ended, but If I had known that I was going to go turbo and quad at the beginning, I could have saved some money.

• So far, the only thing I've done to my Sling that I later regretted was remove the Slingshot badge from the hood, so I ordered a new one and put it right back on. For me, it was like removing the three-pointed star from the front of a Mercedes. It's still a Mercedes, but it just wasn't the same... lol

You just needed to swap it for something different. That is what I did.;)

• I wouldn't have bought the shit 1st generation LED headlights from Slingmods. Those guys were great though! I called them up and talked to them about it. TricLED sent me all new ones for free last Spring. 2 are cooked already.

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• Hello,

I bought the pedal commander to make the throttle control smoother and more controllable. I run it in ECO -4 mode. In my opinion, in that setting, smoother than stock and better control out of corner when drifting. All other settings besides ECO are too aggressive and jerky for me too. Maybe give it another try in the ECO -4 setting.

• The only thing I regret is the lights I got for underglow and the interior. It's not that it was a bad product. I just had no idea what to look for when I went to the dealership parts counter and told them I wanted LEDs. The lights are all on a ribbon and held in place with zip ties, so of course they're starting to sag and come out from behind the panels where they were hidden. I just installed LTN kit for my exterior lights and couldn't be happier.

• I've been around a while but not OG. I have a ton of respect for those who are. Painter has certainly touched a lot of lives with his incredible talent!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• In order of purchase:

Curb Alert: Has saved our front end on countless occasions.

Madstad windshield: Adjust up for summer, down for winter, the air coming underneath into the passenger compartment definitely makes the ride more comfortable.

Sedici Distanza Sissy Bar Bags: Under $100 each when we purchased them and provides a easily removable, relatively inexpensive, way to haul that extra baggage.

Paramount Plastics Stealth Rear Fender version 1: Purchased cheaper second hand, still my favorite looking fender, but a pain in the ass to install.

MeanSling hood assist: Provides better control of opening and closing of the hood.

DDMWorks surge tank: Bought it much cheaper second hand and does it's prescribed job.

MeanSling SportTop w/lift: Initial purpose where it was the most economical way to deflect flying highway debris, but now installed mostly for off season riding to help keep the passenger compartment more comfortable by reducing turbulence and retaining heat.

Ventisit ventilated seat cushions: Way too expensive for what they are, don't quite fit the 2015 seats adequately, have since been removed.

Rear Wind Deflector: Removed after first ride where it made turbulence in the passenger compartment worse rather than better, possible incompatibility with our Madstad windshield?

DDMWorks master cylinder brace: Solid product, but no discernible benefit recognized.

QA1 3-way shocks: Purchased second hand, a definite improvement in ride and handling.

Front Sway Bar Lateral Lock - 31-33mm: Very notable improvement in handling.

Bill

• It's interesting to read all of your thoughts on this, thanks for sharing! When I first got the sling a buddy told me when I asked him about exhaust and CAI if I was ever going to boost it to save my money. Still some of the best sling advice I got to this day.

The wife and I would probably debate this, but the electric blanket we added this fall is kinda BS. Probably better than nothing but with the air flow it's like a parachute. Picked up some of those thin seat warmers I can put under my seat covers to fix this but haven't done them yet!