Battery tender vs pull the battery?

• It's that time here in New Hampshire... already had our first snowfall, and I am dreading the task of packing the Sling away for the winter months. I read the old Winterizing thread, and will be grabbing some gas stabilizer and mouse deterrent like I did when I still rode a motorcycle. However, the garage doesn't have power (it's an old house that had all the knob and tube yanked out to sell it to us, but to save money they just disconnected the garage rather than upgrade it.) I can't put a tender on it where it is, so should I yank the battery and put it in the basement where it can be plugged in, or plan on starting it once or twice a month to let it run for a bit?

Glenn

• It's that time here in New Hampshire... already had our first snowfall, and I am dreading the task of packing the Sling away for the winter months. I read the old Winterizing thread, and will be grabbing some gas stabilizer and mouse deterrent like I did when I still rode a motorcycle. However, the garage doesn't have power (it's an old house that had all the knob and tube yanked out to sell it to us, but to save money they just disconnected the garage rather than upgrade it.) I can't put a tender on it where it is, so should I yank the battery and put it in the basement where it can be plugged in, or plan on starting it once or twice a month to let it run for a bit?

Glenn

Hook a digital volt meter up to it and do not worry about it until the battery voltage drops to around to 11.5 volts. It just might surprise you how long it takes to drop that far.

• The best thing for the from the battery's "point of view" would be to put it in the house with a Battery Tender Jr on it.

Downside is that everything that depends on the battery to maintain a memory will be lost.

• The best thing for the from the battery's "point of view" would be to put it in the house with a Battery Tender Jr on it.

Downside is that everything that depends on the battery to maintain a memory will be lost.

Other than the RideCommand, what else is affected?

• Maybe this is feasible. If possible, run a long extension cord to the garage, plug into the tender, and use it until battery is fully charged. This should only be needed for just a few times during the winter and you can store it away when not using it.

I actually did think of that... it would go across the back of the driveway, but that not such a huge deal as long as we don't forget it's there and hit it with the snow blower...

• my slingshot sits outside all year long....in PA with lots of cold and snow....the battery stays in with a tender on it....it’s a 2015 with the original battery ......that said it’s a car battery not a pee pee battery....

• Typical "starting" battery plates start to degrade when they get below 12.2 volts (a 50% discharge). Depending on the self discharge rate, you can reach a 50% discharge on a fully charged starting battery in 2 to 3 months. I keep all my vehicles on a battery tender.

• The Sling I (2015) with an Optima battery voltage stays at 12 volts parked. The Sling II (2016) with the stock battery stays at 12.5 volts parked. Neither has been out in 3 days. Sling I charge rate is 13.5 volts. Sling II charge rate is 13.9 volts. Just a point of interest, and for those that do not know Electricity and Electronics paid the bills since 1967.

• the original battery in my pickup lasted nine years....never had a tender on it.

My dealer told me in the show room they highly recommend a battery tender and they always have the leads installed on it.....before they deliver it to you.

Polaris knows about the parasitic drain

• I have a battery tender on my Slingshot and a Cub Cadet tractor with a snow plow on it at my girl friends house during the winter. At my house I have a Cub Cadet tractor with a snow plow in a shed behind my house another Cub Cadet with a cutting deck on it and my BMW in the garage all with battery tenders on them. The only thing without a battery tender on it is my Pickup truck because I drive that daily during the winter.When spring comes around I take the battery tenders off everything and all my batteries are good.I haven't bought a battery in years doing this.

• It's been in the garage for about a month. I turned the key just to see what the battery level was. Everything lit up, and RideCommand said it was just under 12v.

I connected a solar panel from Battery Tender to the center accessory plug. I've used a smaller battery panel from Nico in the past to keep a car battery charged for medical equipment at camp, so I figured a larger panel should do it no sweat. (That and I can't find the Nico.)

Glenn

• I have 3 of these

I use the same as EricRedSL. I just changed my stock 400cca battery after 3 years even though it was still performing very strong. I figured how much can you expect out of a less than optimal battery. I put the quick disconnect out the back of the compartment and tie strapped it there. Very easy and convenient access. Typically i start using it in December through March.

I do like the idea of a solar charger if it performs up to par? would like to keep posted how it performs.

• My oem battery is going into year 7. So far no issues but the only accessory I run is heated clothing. Think I'm may be on borrowed time.

my battery is six years old and still working fine, the only extra thing I run are halos but there on a separate switch