Dual Side Exhaust

• I am thinking of adding dual side exhausts to my Slingshot. I like the look of dual side pipes and it takes me back to my '60s hot rod days. Question, has anyone tried a single side pipe on the passenger side only? Do you think it would look out of balance or more in keeping with a Harley? Also looking for recommendations for a stainless header. Suggestions, comments and wise ass remarks welcome. Thanks

• I am thinking of adding dual side exhausts to my Slingshot. I like the look of dual side pipes and it takes me back to my '60s hot rod days. Question, has anyone tried a single side pipe on the passenger side only? Do you think it would look out of balance or more in keeping with a Harley? Also looking for recommendations for a stainless header. Suggestions, comments and wise ass remarks welcome. Thanks

Just buy the 1320 header, the side pipes have been done a lot, single and duals. My buddy just used Harley mufflers

• Kind of what I have in mind. My only concern is the crossover going in front of the heat reduction add on doesn’t leave much room for the driver’s side pipe. I also wonder if it will be a problem with installation if I add a heavier sway bar in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info

• The sway bar will not be a problem. If you live in a big city you may not find anyone to build this for you without charging you an arm and a leg, if they will even do it. Find yourself a small welding shop/muffler shop in a small town and they will work with you and not at the high price. The only problem you will have is the cross over pipe and get it to clear the tire on the drivers side in the turns and the suspension travel. It is not a big problem. Go for it and good luck.

• I have found a guy that is a custom car builder that is doing the work. It’s at his shop now. He called today looking for what I want for headers. He brought up the concerns of ground clearance on the driver’s side due to the proximity to the steering box and swing arms. He’s also noticed the heat reduction kit and asked about that being an issue. On a side note, he had a supercharged caddy engine he jokingly said would fit. I hate those kind of choices.

• I have found a guy that is a custom car builder that is doing the work. It’s at his shop now. He called today looking for what I want for headers. He brought up the concerns of ground clearance on the driver’s side due to the proximity to the steering box and swing arms. He’s also noticed the heat reduction kit and asked about that being an issue. On a side note, he had a supercharged caddy engine he jokingly said would fit. I hate those kind of choices.

The guy that did mine (dual's to Rinehart mufflers) had to run the drivers side pipe under the frame due to where the steering box is at. He made sure where it went under the frame was in center line of the front wheels to keep speed bumps from hitting the pipe.

On back county blacktop roads I have to keep an eye out for high spots but rarely scrape unless not paying attention. This was before and after moving to the SL wheels and upgraded coil overs set to 1/2" lift over stock height.

And I can second what FunCycle said, there won't be an issue with a bigger sway bar.

• Mine is stock height after adding JRI Grand Touring Shocks. I’m not planning on going taller wheels. Momma pointed out I already have 11g in upgrades on my Slingshot. I am concerned about high spots hitting the pipes since I tore up a strip of underglow lights pulling off the road at Maggie Valley this year to put on rain gear. This is one of those decisions I don’t want coming back to bite me and worse yet, the wife saying I told you so.

• Mine is stock height after adding JRI Grand Touring Shocks. I’m not planning on going taller wheels. Momma pointed out I already have 11g in upgrades on my Slingshot. I am concerned about high spots hitting the pipes since I tore up a strip of underglow lights pulling off the road at Maggie Valley this year to put on rain gear. This is one of those decisions I don’t want coming back to bite me and worse yet, the wife saying I told you so.

Send Summer Breeze a message

• Wonderdog my opinion, for what it's worth is that you can't see both sides at once so no problem with passenger side only. I mean, you already lost a rear wheel so who cares if it looks 'conventional'. Also, I bet a good 95% of my riding is solo so I wouldn't miss the heat or the opportunity to burn my leg getting in and out. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• [quote='SlingLow','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/9627-dual-side-exhaust/&postID=324618#post324618']

Wonderdog my opinion, for what it's worth is that you can't see both sides at once so no problem with passenger side only. I mean, you already lost a rear wheel so who cares if it looks 'conventional'. Also, I bet a good 95% of my riding is solo so I wouldn't miss the heat or the opportunity to burn my leg getting in and out. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

[/quote]

This is the route I’ve decided on. Going with a flex coupling between the header and pipe to minimize vibration. Black heat wrap under the heat shielding and hangers welded to clamps rather than the shield or muffler. Parts are ordered, fabricator says parts will be here next week. Going through new parents anxiety and withdrawals from not having it here to ride and thinking of everything that could go wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• cant help you with the side exhaust, but of all of the headers I have seen available for the slingshot the one that intrigues me the most is this one

Full Blown Motorsports Polaris Slingshot header

img_3050_1.jpg

slingshot_header.jpg

from what I understand I do not think this design will accommodate a turbo, but if you are NA I think it is worth considering

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I've been looking at side pipe kits in the 3-4" range, but would probably only install on the passenger side since routing the driver side pipe in front of my inter-cooler might reduce the inter-cooler's performance. While Googling side pipes and mufflers, I came across several DIY videos on fabbing custom baffles. See - https://www.youtube.com/result…ery=DIY+side+pipe+baffles. I found 1929fordhotrod's video interesting, but there are several other interesting approaches.

• Anyone interested in passenger side only, I will have the mate to this pipe available. I had to buy a pair of 50" Patriot Side Pipes with internal muffler and shield, only used 1 side. Not sure of how much as yet or cost of shipping. I went with passenger side only because I didn't want to eliminate the Polaris Heat Reduction Kit I added.