DDMWorks happenings - what is in the shop today?

• Just figured I would start a thread showing some of the stuff we are doing during the days here at DDMWorks. We post some of this up on Facebook/Instagrams, etc, However, I know that there are a lot of forum members that never go over to those social media sites and figured we could share here also.

So to start off this thread, we are rebuilding a cylinder head, installing it, timing the cams, doing a clutch install and installing the engine back in this Polaris Slingshot that some may know on the forum :)

• Can you elaborate on the head rebuild?Interested in what you found .

• Can you elaborate on the head rebuild?Interested in what you found .

Sure, we found a broken rocker on the exhaust side of cylinder #1. As for the cylinder head rebuild, the cylinder head gets pressure checked, then all 3 surfaces get machined, all the valve guides get replaced, new intake and new exhaust valves are installed with springs and retainers. We bolt that back down with ARP head studs and a fresh head gasket.

• Sure, we found a broken rocker on the exhaust side of cylinder #1. As for the cylinder head rebuild, the cylinder head gets pressure checked, then all 3 surfaces get machined, all the valve guides get replaced, new intake and new exhaust valves are installed with springs and retainers. We bolt that back down with ARP head studs and a fresh head gasket.

Thanks for the reply. I heard it run before it came to you. I thought it was in the valve train but wasn't sure what. Good to know .

• Dave@DDMWorks would you care to guess as to why the rocker broke. A friend would like to know since he happens to hit the rev limiter right regular

There was no clear cause of the rocker failure and it is definitely not something we have seen very often. The best theory we have is there may have been damage to the rocker earlier when this slingshot was being used for supercharger cam development. During that development we tested this engine using the original HLA’s (hydraulic lash adjusters) with the new cams. While testing the cams we kicked a rocker out with the original HLA’s installed. We replaced the HLA’s and everything seemed good, but there may have been some damage to this rocker that caused it to fail. Like I mentioned earlier this failure is not something we really have ever seen, so this is just a guess from what we know about the history of this particular slingshot. Fortunately, we are friends with someone that works at the company that makes the rockers for GM and going to get some feedback from him also.

• Finished up the install of the new cylinder head, clutch and other goodies on this one, reflashing the ECM and a little more testing and it will be ready to go home :)

On the Black and red Slingshot we are doing a couple things -

Working on installing one of the Innovate boost / Wideband / Boost controller gauges - https://www.ddmworks.com/Innov…Wideband-Gauge_p_688.html

Installing some custom puddle lights that project right where you get in and out of the Slingshot

Moving the 2nd battery that was installed in the engine bay

Cleaning up some wiring

Picked up a Slingshot in North Carolina last night that has the best wrap I have ever seen ;)

Doing some tuning / diagnostic on the automatic trans for this special guy -

• Expect the 'law suits' to be "wrapped" and delivered tomorrow.

• Thanks for the reply. I heard it run before it came to you. I thought it was in the valve train but wasn't sure what. Good to know .

When we listened using that piece of hose, that's the exact spot we heard..... #1 exhaust. We talked about pulling the cam cover, but even if we found the issue, we couldn't fix it there. Luckily it had made it back to Adam's trailer and got loaded without issue.

• Want to thank everyone that wished me a happy birthday, we took off early and went to a local indoor go kart track, raced a bunch and then ended up taking everyone to dinner, lots of fun -

Back at work today though working on new projects, shipping product and getting the new angle drive brace kits ready to ship tomorrow :thumbsup:

• A couple pics from an install we are working on -

Custom laser etched our fuel rail for the customer -

The customer already had a 2nd battery mounted in the engine bay, but it was mounted about 1/4" away from the exhaust. We fabricated a new battery mount that moved the battery over 3" and installed reflective heat shield for the battery along with a much stronger mount.

The customer wanted puddle lights that light up where you step into and out of the Slingshot. They look really good at night, not so much during the daytime in the shop though -

Oil pressure/temp and Wideband/boost controller installed and working -

Something that was pretty fun that we haven't installed before, a heads up display that shows up on his windshield. This customer has a red windshield which makes this work really well, look pretty cool -

• We have another Slingshot in this week with a Hahn turbo kit that blew #1 cylinder. We are installing a new DDMWorks engine, DDMWorks Clutch/Flywheel, Welter rear exhaust, DDMworks coolant tank and re-route, DDMWorks Coilovers, DDMWorks brake upgrade, DDMWorks front splitter and re-flashing the ECM with a new tune. Looking forward to getting it back on the road for the customer, should be quite the transformation for him :)

• In the shop today is another Slingshot for a Stage 1 turbo install. This one has a pretty interesting steering wheel for sure :) We are the first stop for this customer as the entire bike is getting painted white with gold wheels and accents, should be pretty interesting when finished -

Along with the turbo, we will be upgrading the brakes also -

We also work on other vehicles here besides Slingshots, had this Solstice in for some quick upgrades on one of our original superchargers from 2007 -

Lastly, this guy just showed up and made his home in Angie's office -