An electric Slingshot?

• https://techcrunch.com/2020/10…ging-for-electrification/

The article is from Tech Crunch, and obviously written by someone who has no idea about our vehicle. He harps on about how the sling needed an automatic transmission, but hates what Polaris did to achieve that. He also bangs on about how the Slingshot is slow (compared to what?) and then whines that it isn't electric.

Obviously has no clue about the weight restrictions needed to bring this vehicle to production. It's clear from his description of his first drive that he wants a Tesla or some other 1-pedal vehicle where the computer nannies do all your thinking for you.

Meh, a funny read but no more informed than the average person I meet at Walmart who wants to talk about Ruby.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• https://techcrunch.com/2020/10…ging-for-electrification/

The article is from Tech Crunch, and obviously written by someone who has no idea about our vehicle. He harps on about how the sling needed an automatic transmission, but hates what Polaris did to achieve that. He also bangs on about how the Slingshot is slow (compared to what?) and then whines that it isn't electric.

Obviously has no clue about the weight restrictions needed to bring this vehicle to production. It's clear from his description of his first drive that he wants a Tesla or some other 1-pedal vehicle where the computer nannies do all your thinking for you.

Meh, a funny read but no more informed than the average person I meet at Walmart who wants to talk about Ruby.

haters gonna hate...

• I actually didn't see much that I would argue with in that article. Especially the part where he says that the Slingshot is not fast. Sure it's quick...and that is how I have always described it. Even Boosted it lacks the oomph to be considered fast in my opinion. I really considered doing a 3 motor "all wheel drive" electric set up about 2 years ago. At the time it didn't make financial sense, and I take longer rides than a typical electric set up would allow me to go.

He definitely doesn't know the requirements to keep this as a "motorcycle", but he's not wrong...Going electric on the slingshot would make it amazing. I still think the slingshot is a fun vehicle, but I have done a lot to make it more capable, more powerful, and more fun...more of what it could have been at the price point.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• On a side note...I haven't driven the auto...but it's not an automatic transmission. It's a clutchless, stickless, syncromesh automated manual. I don't really know how it compares to modern Automatic transmissions as far as shift speeds and all that...but it's technology taken from late 70's Maseratis...so I can't imagine it is the greatest "automatic" set up.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• On a side note...I haven't driven the auto...but it's not an automatic transmission. It's a clutchless, stickless, syncromesh automated manual. I don't really know how it compares to modern Automatic transmissions as far as shift speeds and all that...but it's technology taken from late 70's Maseratis...so I can't imagine it is the greatest "automatic" set up.

Having the automatic I can tell you that it is not the automatic in your car. I for one expected it to be different anyway. I kind of have fun with it. I now am able to judge when it is going to shift and help it along. You know how in a car playing around your automatic would back off on the gas to shift from 1st to 2nd hoping to make it feel like a manual. I kind of do the same thing with the automatic on the slingshot. I can actually make it shift a little smoother that way.

I really don't mind it at all. I'm the kind of guy that really like things being a little different. :)

• "...the Slingshot doesn’t make a pleasant noise." Puh-lease!
    I gave up on the article after that.

This spurred some thoughts though:
    When Slingshot first rolled out, I really thought this was going to be Polaris's real foray into becoming a car brand. They already own Aixam, the "enclosed-quadricycle" (read: basically cars) brand. It just seemed to me with all the new companies they were rolling under one umbrella this was they way they were going to go, and if anyone could, Polaris with its supply chain and capital had an advantage.
    It was around this time that Victory was also toying with electric engines in the Empulse TT. "Finally!" I said, "Polaris is building the new American SPORTBIKE, and it's electric!" I really though things were moving forward with the company. After being dogged by management concerns, followed by repair and recall issues, I still had optimism.

But almost as soon as the Empulse hit the track, Polaris pulled the plug on the #2 motorcycle brand in North America, and for what? Indian?
    Funny enough, now they've brought some of the Victory styling back into to the Indian line, and, suddenly, they want to play with batteries again after buying Zero Motorcycles.
    I just don't have a handle on this company like I always hoped I did, but I do know, the future of the industry is in electrics, and the Slingshot brand has a lot to gain for being a first to market in its class and price range as an EV. There's plenty of space to work with under the SS body panels! So, if there's anything I agree with from this article, its that the Sling is a good contender to be electric... but it does not HAVE to be to enjoyed. Those of us who already get it, get it.