cutting plexiglass or Lexan

• I have an old set of double bubbles, I messed up spraying on tint. wanted to use them to practice cutting them down some, so any body with experience on cutting this type of material. what would be the best tool to use.

they make special saw blades and drill bits.....I cut down my windshields without any problem....... That said, tape off the plexiglass so the saw won’t scratch it. Don’t over heat the cut....keep the saw moving forward....don’t let it stay in one spot because the plexi will start to melt.....when the cut is done use A sanding block and on the cut to slightly round the edge to look like the factory edge. Using finer and finer grit. All my cuts look like They are original.

• I have an old set of double bubbles, I messed up spraying on tint. wanted to use them to practice cutting them down some, so any body with experience on cutting this type of material. what would be the best tool to use.

I use a Bosch jig saw with the finest toothed blade you can find (blades 'for metal' work well.)

Put blue masking tape over the cut line, mark on the tape. Do NOT cut too fast or with blade on high speed (hot blade can melt plastic making a sloppy edge.)

I usually cut in a bit from the opposite side rather than cutting all the way across. Be sure the plastic is well supported. After cutting, remove tape, sand and bevel edges with a dremel & fine sanding wheel (very light pressure!) Continue to smooth edges with 600, 1000, 2000 grit paper. Buff edges with dremel and buffing wheel.

I know its a long process, but the results will be worth it!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

Tape them off where you want to cut them so you do not scratch the matl. You can use a jig saw (too much vib.) I like using the Dremal, I think it is called a jam cutter (the blade moves side to side) on slow speed the high will melt the material. Once cut us a sanding block and start with 60 or 80 grit sand paper, then jump 200 to 400. Then 800 and go up up to finer paper until you have the edge looking like you want it. I have cut, I think 4 wind screens and I think I went all the up to 2,000 grit.