Whining noise at 50mph

• I hope someone can help point me in the right direction. I've tried searching but I either end up with a thread about a slightly different problem or Politics Sucks.

Past few days I have noticed a pulsing, squealing sound coming from the right side when I get to about 50mph. It only happens when the SS is moving - sitting in the driveway revving it does not produce a whine (except maybe from the neighbors.) The only info I can find about it is several threads about a noise when letting up on the accelerator. My problem is opposite - If I let up on the gas, the squealing stops. When I hit the gas, the whining comes back. Once I get back down to under 45mph, it's fine. It's not a continuous sound, more of a steady pulsing sound. I am assuming a belt, but I am not mechanically inclined enough to investigate it further. I already called HK Powersports, who will look at it on the 22nd, but I am wondering if I should stop driving it until then. Is it just loud and annoying, or will I cause further damage by continuing to drive it?

Additional info: 2019 SLR, I bought it in March 2020 and it's been my main vehicle since. (My Highlander is lonely.)

Glenn

• More than likely it is the drive belt. Some people say clean it with a stiff brush and soap and water and spray with dry lube. I would not worry about adjustment, if you are the type of person to worry, let the dealer check the belt adjustment. If it quite's down then you know the problem. Most of us never even pay any attention to the noise.

• You all beat me by seconds, I got too long winded! ;)

It sounds like your belt needs adjustment, to test this theory get a can of dry lube, (like below), and spray the belt, if the whining stops then do a search of this forum for all the information you will require to adjust your belt to necessary specifications. Sometimes quite a bit of trial and error may be involved, but just plan on lots of patience. Just one of the joys of owning a SlingShot! Have fun! :thumbsup:, (and that is being sincere, not sarcastic! ;))

11 oz., Aerosol, Dry Lubricant

Bill

• If adjustment of the belt is required, simply go to YouTube & type “slingshot belt adjustment” into the search box. The Sam Owens videos are very thorough...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• To sum up, the most common and most likely cause is simply a dirty belt. This is great because it’s also the most simple to rectify.

Don’t be fooled by appearance! You might look at your belt and think, “Looks clean to me.” I assure you, there’s road grime film on it. Clean it even if it “looks” clean...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• More than likely it is the drive belt. Some people say clean it with a stiff brush and soap and water and spray with dry lube. I would not worry about adjustment, if you are the type of person to worry, let the dealer check the belt adjustment. If it quite's down then you know the problem. Most of us never even pay any attention to the noise.

The big-ass belt on the rear tire? I'll check that out. I just want to make sure this isn't a problem that requires dealer attention - it's last year's model, but I have only had it 5 months and it's still under warranty.

Glenn

• And finally, verify whining is not coming from passenger seat because “You’re driving too fast!!!”

^^ Nope, the only whining coming from the spousal unit is "take me for a riiiiiiiiide!" Unfortunately she's on call 7 days and the only time she has any time off it rains. :frowning_face: