Big Green Egg - Grilling on labor day

• Ok, not so much as grilling, but smoking today, a brisket and a pork butt. I'm a geek, love my toys, both mechanical and electrical. My dad taught me long ago, work smarter, not harder. I think that was his way to teach me to be lazy, but on my own terms, and make it look like I'm working :)

My BGE has a wifi-enabled controller with a fan going into the egg, with temperature sensors/probes for the egg and your meats, so you can control the temp via the fan.

No more baby sitting the smoker or grill, just set it up and monitor remotely from the comfort of A/C and a couch.

fKzgrxc.jpg

The setup wasn't cheap, but well worth every cent. Bought the BGE used and got it for a pretty good deal. The Flame Boss controller is worth it as well, just so I don't have to sit and watch things. It has 3 inputs for meat probes (not shown), I just fired this up to get the temp stable before putting the meat on. Will try and remember to get pics of the progress today.

• I also use the Big Green Egg. I haven't heard of the wifi controller but mine does have the wife controller (that's just a joke - my wife is glad to let me be in charge of the BBQ). I haven't had any issues setting and controlling temp as long as you don't let it climb on you. It's easy to increase temp with charcoal but reducing it is a challenge. What exactly does this gizmotron do wokka?

The last brisket I did was 13 pounds and I brined it for 7 days to make pastrami. It was awesome and I will be doing that again. I picked the brine from many available on the interweb then reduced the salt by 1/3. Definitely a keeper!

Oh yeah, what time is dinner???

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I also use the Big Green Egg. I haven't heard of the wifi controller but mine does have the wife controller (that's just a joke - my wife is glad to let me be in charge of the BBQ). I haven't had any issues setting and controlling temp as long as you don't let it climb on you. It's easy to increase temp with charcoal but reducing it is a challenge. What exactly does this gizmotron do wokka?

The last brisket I did was 13 pounds and I brined it for 7 days to make pastrami. It was awesome and I will be doing that again. I picked the brine from many available on the interweb then reduced the salt by 1/3. Definitely a keeper!

Oh yeah, what time is dinner???

Reducing has always been a challenge, gotta cap it if you want to reduce it and wait for it to cool down a bit.

This gizmatron helps regulate the temps, once I get the temp stabilized at where I want it, I can leave it going all night, it will spin the fan up if the temp drops, and stop the fan once its at the right temperature. From my phone or computer, I can see the status at any time, temp of the egg as well as the meat.

As I tell my lovely gf, time for dinner is 2 hours after the meat is done. I'm a firm believer of sticking the meat in a air tight cooler when it's done and let it sit. That 2 hours starts whenever the meat gets to the right temp, and not a second sooner :)

If I'm trying to plan for a family event or something, I'll start ahead of time and just leave the meat in the cooler until we are ready to eat. Most of my smokes are 10 - 12 hours, but it's just the two of us this weekend, no kids or grandkids, and it's about a 4 lb brisket and 5 lb pork butt, so it may be a bit shorter of a smoke. I'm guessing 6 - 8 hours, but will see.

• The controller reports up to the cloud, so you can see the progress from a web page

It also has an app for a smart phone, for those of you who are in the modern century

9RXmoyf.png

With either the web page or the app, I can set alerts for specific temps, so it will notify me.

As you can see from the graph, the temps spiked on me when I first cranked it up, probably had a bit too much charcoal in it and it took longer than I wanted to come down after I cut off the air, but that's ok, I can run this for about 24 hours easily if I wanted.

• So the feds may show up for dinner...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Wow. I thought I went high-tech when I got a digital bluetooth 2-probe thermometer that I wear on my belt and routinely pull out like a Star Trek phaser (set on stun of course).

wokka one technique I learned is to orient the plate setter so that one of the 3 arms is directly opposite the air intake. This can prevent a hotspot at the back where the air cycles up, even when at minimal airflow (stop me if you've heard this one).

Looking forward to a pic of the finished product. I totally agree on the 2 hour rest, all wrapped up in a cooler. Great technique.

• SlingLow My smoker is pellet- a RecTec 680 (newer version is the 700) Currently on day 4 of pastrami brine. (due to thickness, minimum brine time on this batch is 8.4 days, and I will round up to 9 days.) After brine, I desalinate overnight before smoking. This is my tried and true recipe:

https://amazingribs.com/tested…-thats-close-katzs-recipe

You can control the salt level based on the desalinization step- can prolong the time, and do a water change to really get rid of the salt.

I will probably never have store bought pastrami again!

• Notice, he has not invited anyone, just showing off his food. What kind of guy is this? How about letting everyone know and you just might have an illegal gathering at your house. Thanks COVID-19.

JUST SAYIN

Hope it ate good, looks great. See you in Arkansas!

Keep Three Wheels Down

• Notice, he has not invited anyone, just showing off his food. What kind of guy is this? How about letting everyone know and you just might have an illegal gathering at your house. Thanks COVID-19.

JUST SAYIN

Hope it ate good, looks great. See you in Arkansas!

I am pretty sure cooking the food kills the virus so we are good!

Juts need directions

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• NatomasSlingshot1 that looks good and I might have to give it a try. This is the one I used: https://www.bing.com/videos/se…E2E7339E2175&&FORM=VRDGAR I reduced the salt just for personal taste and in this video he emphasizes rinsing after the 7 day brine or it will be really salty. I did that and was happy with the end result.

So, when you guys (& gals) are smoking this meat, what kind of rolling papers do you recommend? Any preferences?

I'm not sure what works best but you can't use the cut-corners...

• I can vouch for NatomasSlingshot1 cooking. Well, not personally, haven’t had the honor of meeting the fine lady in person, but I got a recipe from her that I cook periodically. It’s a sausage & kale soup that’s divine.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• I can vouch for NatomasSlingshot1 cooking. Well, not personally, haven’t had the honor of meeting the fine lady in person, but I got a recipe from her that I cook periodically. It’s a sausage & kale soup that’s divine.

I'm still cooking the Jalepeno popper recipe that you posted up and said was addicting. And I can still quit anytime I want!