Wrecking Crew / DMV owners roll call

• @Hernandeves5, I haven't met you yet but if a procedure tomorrow doesn't go awry I will be glad to help. I haven't done a top but have a garage and tools. We look like we might have a nice day this weekend and Eric can always lead you out here to the country. Glad to pass on the continuing help I get from our man Rock, who helped me again this Saturday installing DDM extended opening hood setup.

• @Hernandeves5 My wife and I installed ours the other day. Not a big deal at all but not something you want to do without someone to help you handle it. Obviously it isn't heavy but you don't want to scratch any paint either. We like the top so far but it did bring on other issues that we are still dealing with. Time will tell.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• @Hernandeves5 My wife and I installed ours the other day. Not a big deal at all but not something you want to do without someone to help you handle it. Obviously it isn't heavy but you don't want to scratch any paint either. We like the top so far but it did bring on other issues that we are still dealing with. Time will tell.

It only took me about 2 1/2 hours last night but I installed it myself. my wife helped to lift it over and set onto the brackets. but once that was done she left. I might have to go back and make a couple of little shifting adjustments but otherwise it went in extremely easy. No drilling or anything, it was almost like plug n play or some IKEA furniture lol. I truly appreciate everybody's offer to help out. I had never done that before and thought it might have been harder than it actually was. lol I will try to get some pictures this evening and post them. I have a couple that I took but they aren't public view worthy lol. they show my messy garage.

• OH hey @Ghost what kind of issues are you talking about? My wife said after I was done installing it and she went to sit in it, that she thought that it took the fun factor out of the slingshot. now she doesn't have that open air feeling. Even to the point that she said we will go out for a ride in it and if she doesn't like it that I will have to take it off. lol.

• OH hey @Ghost what kind of issues are you talking about?

Our particular issues were/are due to other components in combination with the slingshade top. If you combine the top with a TALL windscreen and certain exhausts it will cause exhaust fumes to be pulled back into the cockpit. In my particular case it also caused a high pitch whistle from each side of the windscreen along the top outside edges. It starts about 40mph and continues through 70mph. This whistle is not something small that you can ignore. It is loud enough that it is very annoying and takes the fun out of the ride. We have decided what we need to do about it we just haven't decided exactly how we are going to do it in a tasteful way.

That's the fun of these things. To make changes we want that make them appeal to US personally and make them ours. While I really admire the work and craftsmanship that some owners have put into their SS there are many of them that I would not want to own and like wise their owners would not be interested in mine at all.

I do agree with your wife to some extent about the top taking away some of the "open air" feeling. It is a trade off for the advantages that it provides. You (and your wife) just have to decide it the advantages are worth the trade off's on YOUR sling. At this point I am not 100% sold on the top. If after we correct the whistling problem we decide that we are not happy with it I'm sure that we won't have any issues getting rid of it. I do believe in the long run it will be worth it.

One thing to consider is that once you have it set up and on the SS it wouldn't be hard or take very long to set it off. In fact I wish they would have engineered it more toward that possibility. Then folks could have their cake and eat it too!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Use some painters tape or duct tape to figure out what is making the noise, then you can address that location. On my UP Top it was just cutting a couple of pieces of a yard stick to fill in a gap at the front edge of the top.

• oh wow, well I just installed it last night, it hasn't even been out doors let alone on the road to see if it is going to do anything like make noise. I hope that isn't the case. if it starts whistling I might just take it off without having to consult my wife lol. I have the tall windshield myself. It does look a little strange as it comes near the top of the roof line but stands forward of it. I also hope that it doesn't pull exhaust back into the cabin, but then again if it does, that gives me reason enough to get the exhaust ran out the back of the slingshot. hmmmmm (insert evil laugh here) lol. :evil::00010166:

• Use some painters tape or duct tape to figure out what is making the noise, then you can address that location. On my UP Top it was just cutting a couple of pieces of a yard stick to fill in a gap at the front edge of the top.

Oh we know what is causing he noise, and we have decided what has to be done to stop it. What we haven't decided is exactly how we are going to accomplish it.

We need a "sun visor" on each side. We would like to have small one's (3"X 12") and they only need to be adjustable front to rear. No need to have them swing around to the side like an automobile one does. Also no need for them to have adjustable extensions on them to cover the center.

Making them out of lexan is no problem and making them out of anything less is not an option. The last thing I need is to be hit in the face with a piece of plastic that was broken due to a rock strike at 100mph. jes sayin.

My issue is attaching them to the inside of the top in a fashion that allows the aforementioned adjustability while being secure enough to hold them in any given position at speed. We have been looking at some of the "Ram" mounts but head space is limited and we want to be sure that it does not take away from the aesthetics.

You know, Polaris could have set us some threaded pieces in the top when it was produced for another $ 00.50 and that would have made things so much easier.

Decisions, decisions!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• oh wow, well I just installed it last night, it hasn't even been out doors let alone on the road to see if it is going to do anything like make noise. I hope that isn't the case. if it starts whistling I might just take it off without having to consult my wife lol. I have the tall windshield myself. It does look a little strange as it comes near the top of the roof line but stands forward of it. I also hope that it doesn't pull exhaust back into the cabin, but then again if it does, that gives me reason enough to get the exhaust ran out the back of the slingshot. hmmmmm (insert evil laugh here) lol. :evil::00010166:

Running the exhaust out the back may only magnify your problem if you don't use the correct one. jes sayin

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• ugh, well if that is the case then this thing just might get taken off. my wife has already stated several times that she DOES NOT like the exhaust smell already. At first I was trying to blame vehicles in front of us stating it was them and not our own. Due to being low to the ground and in direct fire of the exhaust of the cars in front of us. But after having driven it for a little bit now, I know it is my own exhaust and I guess I will be forced to deal with this issue sooner than later. when it rains it pours huh?

• ugh, well if that is the case then this thing just might get taken off. my wife has already stated several times that she DOES NOT like the exhaust smell already. At first I was trying to blame vehicles in front of us stating it was them and not our own. Due to being low to the ground and in direct fire of the exhaust of the cars in front of us. But after having driven it for a little bit now, I know it is my own exhaust and I guess I will be forced to deal with this issue sooner than later. when it rains it pours huh?

Early on we had a small issue with exhaust fumes on my side exhaust. I did notice that once my wife turned blue and fell asleep she stopped complaining.
    Might be worth a wait and see.
    All kidding aside we haven't had much of an issue after everything broke in. You notice more in traffic especially if you have a car next to you, but at speed we are good.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

@Hernandeves5 I know I have explained this in other threads somewhere but I'm too lazy to do the search so I'll do it again here. For those that have already read it they will just have to ignore it. LOL

When we got our new sling there was very little exhaust that came into the cockpit. It usually only happened when stopping.

Then we added the SC, 2.5 stealth exhaust, and tall windscreen. We noticed more exhaust fumes but not terribly so and as before it was usually when stopping.

Since the exhaust was turned 90* at the back and exited to the drivers side the sound was continuously in my left ear. I thought if I took off the 90* end and put on a 30* end it would be better and it was. The sound was centered behind us but now it seemed as though we had a little more exhaust coming in the cockpit. Now we would notice it when accelerating real hard and any time you let off the gas regardless of speed.

Then we installed the top. We had exhaust pouring in the cockpit worse than ever before and the exhaust noise reflected into to cockpit was now at an unacceptable level! After reading some others comments we made a custom wind restrictor and mounted it on the front side of the hoops underneath the top. This went a long way in reducing the exhaust fumes and may have helped a little with the noise but not enough.

(Disclaimer: I have no idea if anyone offers a "wind restrictor" that fits with the slingshade.) A small piece of lexan, a jig saw, and a drill bit and you can make your own. The only holes you drill is in the lexan to mount it. You use existing threaded holes in hoops.

Then I put the original 90* end back on the exhaust and that all but eliminated the exhaust coming into the cockpit. I'd say it is at least as good as it was before I originally changed the 90* end if not better. It also GREATLY reduced the exhaust noise reflected into the cockpit by the top. ?Go Figure?

Now the only issue that we are working on is the "whistle" created between the top of the windscreen and the top. Once we get that taken care of we should be happy campers!

Don't loose hope and don't take drastic measures until talking with others on this forum. I am a new kid on the block here so there are many others better equipped to assist you than I. They have done about everything that can be done so the chance of you or I coming up with something they have not already mastered is slim to none. Reach out, they will respond.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868