Aftermarket Shocks

• I have some RR tracks near my house when I crossed them the first time I felt the difference. No more shopping cart bounce.

Same here. With the stock coilovers, my Slingshot would seem to go airborne when crossing the RR tracks, but once I installed my Bilstein coilovers, the Slingshot maintained a planted feeling and doesn't seem to leave the road surface.

• Same here. With the stock coilovers, my Slingshot would seem to go airborne when crossing the RR tracks, but once I installed my Bilstein coilovers, the Slingshot maintained a planted feeling and doesn't seem to leave the road surface.

LOL, maybe too much throttle when crossing tracks... :)

Psalm 28:4 "Give to them according to the evil of their deeds"

"Attitude determines airspeed, throttle determines touchdown point"

TheDonFather - Videos

• The shocks that I really gave a good hard look at were the TruHarts, where we really did not need adjustable shocks plus the price was attractive. The only issue with them, from the few reviews that I came across, was that apparently there wasn't any improvement in ride quality over the OEM shocks. :(

Bill

• The shocks that I really gave a good hard look at were the TruHarts, where we really did not need adjustable shocks plus the price was attractive. The only issue with them, from the few reviews that I came across, was that apparently there wasn't any improvement in ride quality over the OEM shocks. :(

Bill

I have driven a couple Slingshots with the TruHarts and can confirm the ride with them installed is definitely firm.

• LOL, maybe too much throttle when crossing tracks... :)

Me? Never, ever, ever!;) I routinely drive that at grade RR intersection and always take the crossing at the posted 45 mph. My Slingshot with the stock coilovers routinely lost traction, but my Slingshot with the Bilstein coilovers and my 2013 Ford Edge both handle the railroad tracks w/o any feeling of lost traction.

• Everyone is different with varying expectations I understand. Disclaimer- And I have not tried other shocks. For me though when installing the DDM3 ways on my 2016 the difference was not stubble. It was incredible! Sounds crazy but when looking for my current SS and seeing it already had the DDM’s on it really made me pay closer attention.

The ride for me is night and day. AND I have tried them on 0-1 all the way around to see the Cush ride and no bottom out or bounce. I currently have them set on 2-5 and like the touring ride.

The short of it is ... I would buy them again hands down.

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Everyone is different with varying expectations I understand. Disclaimer- And I have not tried other shocks. For me though when installing the DDM3 ways on my 2016 the difference was not stubble. It was incredible! Sounds crazy but when looking for my current SS and seeing it already had the DDM’s on it really made me pay closer attention.

The ride for me is night and day. AND I have tried them on 0-1 all the way around to see the Cush ride and no bottom out or bounce. I currently have them set on 2-5 and like the touring ride.

The short of it is ... I would buy them again hands down.

SoCal, you have experienced DDM shocks and recommend them. If I recall correctly, BKL has Bilsteins and is happy with those. Isn't Edward Neal running JRIs and is also happy? I recently purchased QA1 shocks and I am happy also. Four different brands, four content owners, so my question is, is there anything that makes any one of these brand shocks different, (better?), than the others?

Bill

• SoCal, you have experienced DDM shocks and recommend them. If I recall correctly, BKL has Bilsteins and is happy with those. Isn't Edward Neal running JRIs and is also happy? I recently purchased QA1 shocks and I am happy also. Four different brands, four content owners, so my question is, is there anything that makes any one of these brand shocks different, (better?), than the others?

Bill

Individual 'butts'.....

• SoCal, you have experienced DDM shocks and recommend them. If I recall correctly, BKL has Bilsteins and is happy with those. Isn't Edward Neal running JRIs and is also happy? I recently purchased QA1 shocks and I am happy also. Four different brands, four content owners, so my question is, is there anything that makes any one of these brand shocks different, (better?), than the others?

Bill

Great point! unless you’re in aficionado I’m not sure if you can tell. But as I mentioned at the beginning all I’m experienced with are the stock and then the switch. And the switch was dramatic!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• I can't wait for my stock shock on my 2020 R to wear out so I can buy a set of after market. I just need the tour soft ride don't need adjustable. How many miles can I expect on the stock shocks. I have put 350K on car shocks and always over 100K.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

Bill

I suspect that the difference between the stock coilovers and any of the aftermarket coilovers is a rather dramatic and very noticeable difference where as the differences between the quality aftermarket coilovers is probably much smaller - - probably have to compare them side by side and go back and fourth to really tell the differences

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• yea but don't wait

I agree - don't wait until the stock coilovers need replacing - - your backside will thank you.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I routinely drive that at grade RR intersection and always take the crossing at the posted 45 mph. My Slingshot with the stock coilovers routinely lost traction, but my Slingshot with the Bilstein coilovers and my 2013 Ford Edge both handle the railroad tracks w/o any feeling of lost traction.

I originally believed that the compression aspect of shocks was about ride quality, where the rebound adjustment was a mystery, but maybe this is a perfect example of how it comes into play? Initially I was trying to use the rebound setting also to augment ride quality, but I believe that am coming to realize rebound has more to do with keeping the tires in contact with the road, is this right? Anyways, I am growing more and more to appreciate along with the improved ride, the additional control that the "better" aftermarket shocks are providing for us and continues to be a learning process.

Bill

• My 1st ride of the year, I started with my shock settings at 0, and it was super soft and comfortable. However, I was dipping my splitter into the road on certain turns. Also, on hard braking, the rear end was lifting up. Under hard acceleration the rear end was hopping like a pogo stick.

Every ride, I turned them up one click (rebound only). When I got to 4, and went for a ride, it handled great. No dipping the splitter, and the rear end stays more level under hard braking. I rode out to a RC airport near me, got out, and upped the setting to 5. The parking lot was gravel, and when I was pulling out, I could tell right away that I didn't like it. The ride home was rougher, and I had hood rattles and such. But, I did take a really twisty road, and it handled awesome.

My shocks are only rebound adjustable. I see my shocks as a way to help control body movement, and in turn keep the wheels in contact with the ground.