Everything on the 2nd Amendment

• That is an accurate summary, but here is the full text of the bill for those curious:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/…gress/house-bill/127/text

It was introduced on Jan 4th by a Democrat from TX and instantly referred to the House Judiciary Committee, where it should be killed.

This is an example of congress being blocked by NRA back politicians from passing any form of sensible gun control legislation for so long, that the pendulum has had the time to swing as far left as possible.

In 2012, right after Sandy Hook, the NRA should have drafted and promoted something responsible, but no it's a slippery slope. HUGE mistake, HUGE.

Now look where we are, nearly 10 years later, over 2,400 mass shootings, and people justifiably fed up. This Bill goes way too far.

Slingshot beginner (Nov 2020), 2019 S White/Black, Bullet Speed V-Back, with Blue Fire accents

• Yeah that sounds high right, but then again, it depends on how you define mass shootings, Vox, the site that claims over 2,400 uses this definition:

Mass shooting data comes from the Gun Violence Archive, which defines mass shootings as events in which four or more people, excluding the shooter, were shot but not necessarily killed at the same general time and location. GVA’s definition differs from other definitions of mass shootings, which may require that four or more people are killed or exclude certain shootings, such as gang-related and domestic events.

I kinda think four people being shot at about the same time in the same place, excluding the shooter, sounded like a reasonable definition.

Here is the link if you wish to explore it further:

https://www.vox.com/a/mass-sho…a-sandy-hook-gun-violence

Slingshot beginner (Nov 2020), 2019 S White/Black, Bullet Speed V-Back, with Blue Fire accents

• Using the 4 or more definition yields 176 total mass shootings (& that number goes all the way back to the clock tower shooting at the University of Texas in 1966). You’re right, there’s no set definition...

Here’s a link to the article that the above screenshot comes from:

https://www.washingtonpost.com…ass-shootings-in-america/

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Just as there’s no set definition for a “mass shooting”, there’s no set definition for what constitutes “an arsenal.” The MSM throws out words & phrases for dramatic effect. I’ve seen on TV where someone is arrested & OMG, they had “an arsenal!” (The “arsenal” consisting of one single shot rifle, a handgun & 50 rounds of ammo... Sigh. Seriously?!?!) I consider that “poorly armed.” SMH

• Yeah that sounds high right, but then again, it depends on how you define mass shootings, Vox, the site that claims over 2,400 uses this definition:

Yeah... I looked at all their information and went state by state on their claims for this year. Seems they don't even attempt to use their own definition or follow up as they say they do. Pretty much what I expected given the source.

..... nerd-squared

EDIT: Just to clarify, I went down this years list and picked a few to check. First one was people shot at a "house party" in Shreveport LA. They had this on the list as "verified". Using the date and location it is easy to cross reference with local news reports to find this was deemed as gang related so should disqualify it. Of the four I checked all followed a similar pattern. Remember the national news story a few weeks back, home invasion, the homeowner shot three of a claimed five suspects killing one. Yup, "mass shooting".

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited 2 times, last by Orangeman ().

• Just as there’s no set definition for a “mass shooting”, there’s no set definition for what constitutes “an arsenal.” The MSM throws out words & phrases for dramatic effect. I’ve seen on TV where someone is arrested & OMG, they had “an arsenal!” (The “arsenal” consisting of one single shot rifle, a handgun & 50 rounds of ammo... Sigh. Seriously?!?!) I consider that “poorly armed.” SMH

A big-ass pile of snowballs is an arsenal if you only have one...

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• So, to sum up, 176 mass shootings over a 55 year period yields 3.2 per year. That’s 3.2 per year too many. However, “gun control” is not the answer & would have done nothing to stop these incidents from occurring.

Gun control is about “control”, it’s not about guns...

• MSM tends to like to exaggerate when it makes something sound real bad. It doesn't matter if it is guns or the weather they like to make it sound worst then it really is.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• So, to sum up, 176 mass shootings over a 55 year period yields 3.2 per year. That’s 3.2 per year too many. However, “gun control” is not the answer & would have done nothing to stop these incidents from occurring.

Gun control is about “control”, it’s not about guns...

I have to agree with you sir.

Yes it is a problem but not directly related to the gun. Look at England since the had very strict gun laws the violence with knives was on the rise. So they tried to ban knives. So just going under the assumption that the same person would have committed either crime the weapon can not be the cause.

like the joke forks make people fat - if you applied to same logic how to you handle fat people who eat with chop sticks - even worse what do you do about finger food.

Just sayin

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• If anyone - ANYONE - can explain how some of the strictest gun laws in the country that are in Chicago has helped gun violence in any way - I will gladly turn in all my firearms to Beto O’Rourke (and I despise that man). Humans have been killers since Cain killed Abel -.if guns magically disappeared it would just go back to swords and rocks

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• If anyone - ANYONE - can explain how some of the strictest gun laws in the country that are in Chicago has helped gun violence in any way - I will gladly turn in all my firearms to Beto O’Rourke (and I despise that man). Humans have been killers since Cain killed Abel -.if guns magically disappeared it would just go back to swords and rocks

Does it always have to be an all-or-nothing argument when it comes to gun control?

Chicago and gun laws not working is an old and flawed argument. Yes, they HAD stricter laws which went into effect in 1982, but then they were struck down in 2010, something most doing the arguing fail to acknowledge. In-fact:

"With that, Chicago lost its status -- or its stigma, depending on your perspective -- of having the strictest gun possession laws in the United States. In comparably sized big cities like New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco, the city administers the concealed-carry permitting process. In Illinois, the Illinois State Police processes applications, so it can be argued that Chicago has less autonomy in restricting concealed carry within its borders than do other cities."

Here are the links to back this up:

https://www.npr.org/2017/10/05…-that-gun-laws-don-t-work

https://www.politifact.com/fac…ol-claim-shot-full-holes/

• On the comparison between US and UK deaths as a result of firearms:

2017 the US had 12.21 deaths due to gun violence per 100,000 people

2015 the UK has 0.2 deaths due to gun violence per 100,000 people.

That's a 61X difference.

Different firearms, like different types of hammers, have different purposes. I'm all for hunting and protecting yourself, especially so you and your family feel secure in your own home. Shotguns, hunting rifles, even certain handguns are all fine by me. Do regular folks really NEED military weapons? Sure you can hunt deer with an AR-15 modified to be fully automatic, but is it really the right tool for the job? Does having an Uzi duct taped under the end table in your living room really make you safer?

Military weapons were designed for one purpose, killing people, they are professional tools designed for professional use and don't belong in the hands of civilians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…irearm-related_death_rate

• Very few shooting around here are committed by lawful gum owners. Most are gang or black on black. Most of the shooters arrested have a criminal record and are felons. Felons are not even allowed to own guns so what are sticker gun laws going to do. The only think that is going to stop these people from carrying a gun is Stop and Search. We all know how that goes over. I am licensed to carry and even if I was carrying I would summit to a search. I have to stop when they have stops for DUI checks and that is fine if it gets drunks off the road. So lets get illegal guns out of pockets and and off our streets.

If the music is to loud you are to old.