Noise out back

• Long post. Gonna be very specific. Before I forget, thank you to all that read and respond. Last trip out I noticed a clanging noise coming from the rear wheel. I am absolutely certain that it is coming from the back. Now that we have gone through the parts I'm certain of, now I will give the best detailed description I can.

I have a clunking noise coming from the rear wheel that sounds like a brake pad flapping. (I'm absolutely no mechanic)

When I'm on the gas, it doesn't do it. The second I touch the brake pedal it quits.

Here is the odd part, it only does it while coasting (not on brake or gas) and when I turn to the right. When I turn to the left it quits even when coasting.

I'm going down in shop this morning and going to check and tighten every bolt back there including checking lug nuts. Don't think its a loose wheel. I'm not a Nascar driver but I've had one of those before.

It is a loud noise that concerns me. It's not hard enough to feel it in the drive but I know it needs to be addressed. I don't see any signs of metal shavings anywhere at all.

I put Hawk 5.0 pads on 11,000 miles ago. I have NEVER EVER went down the road one time with the E-brake on ever (at least not in my Sling anyway)

Sorry for writing a book but there is nothing worse than trying to help somebody and not having all the facts.

It is under the extended warranty and I could just take it in but I've been without the old girl for 8 long weeks already this summer and I don't know if you guys know this but when I was a kid and my toy broke I cried so damn much everybody including the neighbors left the house. Now I'm way to big to get my ass busted (which is what shoulda happened then) but I never outgrew that and I still cry like a baby when my toy breaks.;(;(;(;(;(;(;(

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• Tim I hope you can find and fix the problem without any serous problem.

I'm sure its something simple. I gonna give it a shot this morning. I riding today fixed or not. If it's running, I'm riding.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• I have been getting a kind of tick sound out of mine when I start to back up. Been going on for about the last 10,000 miles

That’s most likely just the belt - nothing to worry about. A good belt cleaning & adjustment verification would probably eliminate it.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• I touched every single bolt out back. Nothing loose. I checked the torque on all three wheels. None loose either. My belt has always made noise. Pour one bottle of water on it and it stops. Gonna run it. Might be able to put somebody in it next week at Maggie that knows allot more than me.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

• I touched every single bolt out back. Nothing loose. I checked the torque on all three wheels. None loose either. My belt has always made noise. Pour one bottle of water on it and it stops. Gonna run it. Might be able to put somebody in it next week at Maggie that knows allot more than me.

Tim, hope to meet you at MV and I'll gladly take a listen and try to help diagnose. Failing that, we go pay a visit to the tent of Mr. DDM and get his input.

• Not familiar with the Hawk 5.0 kit.

Two possibilties...

One of the brake pad retaining clips or abutment clips has broken or bent.

Would make noise free floating between the retaining pins and caliper.

Caliper Guide Pin Boots may have been damaged during pad upgrade.

Not being there makes it hard for me to take a look.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Tim, hope to meet you at MV and I'll gladly take a listen and try to help diagnose. Failing that, we go pay a visit to the tent of Mr. DDM and get his input.

Will definitely take you up on that. If the rain will hold off during the day here this week I will be over starting on Thursday morning at 7am. I might commute over each day or stay. Not sure yet. Will prob stay Friday night for sure.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

• Put 600 miles on it with the noise going on. Yesterday it even got a little intermittent. I'm sure its nothing serious, at least that is what I keep telling myself. Hope to get a few experienced ears in Maggie. I'm sure with the talent over there it will get resolved. Once again and I say this all the time. I have been so lucky to stumble on this forum.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

• sometimes pads will break loose of from the metal....

Could it be a swing arm bearing crapping out?
    loose shock mounts/bolt?