Just how much is GM?

• The 'major' problem is access to the on board computer.... Other than that most good tech can do lots of the work. One of the guys in Northern Indiana took the Slingshot to 'Jiffy Lube' (drive thru oil change service)---NO he did not drive thru, he pulled 1/2 way in the exit so the staff had access to the undercarriage of the Slingshot. Always ways to get stuff done if you know what needs to be fixed. It's having the knowledge and parts to make it happen.

• Don't be surprised if a LOT of GM dealers would not work on your slingshot. It's not that they don't have the knowledge, but since it's not one of their products, they may pass on working on it. When they first came out back in late 2014, there were fast lube places like Jiffy Lube that refused to do oil changes, even though they stocked the filter and had the oil. They have changed their minds since then, but the GM dealers may not have been supportive

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• the Digital Wrench seems to be more protected than the nuclear football....if it’s been cracked it’s a big secret.......

And good car mechanic can probably do 80% of the Slingshot repairs. And even if the digital wrench is needed to recalibrate sensors or stuff....you could drop by the dealer and have that part of it done.....Plug in the computer and A few clicks to make the changes...I haven’t heard how much they charge for them to connect the computer....

it’s a GM motor, car tranny and mechanical Car brakes...Same thing mechanics do everyday. I’ve already done more Repairs and things than I ever thought I would do...

I wouldn’t expect a GM dealer to work on it..... the average joe mechanic would....

• But if they cannot access the computer.....................................................

Bill

a trip to a dealer is going to be needed for certain recalibrations. You can change the parts and have a dealer just calibrate. You’ll still save money on the part and labor if you can do it yourself.

• That is what I was afraid of, though it really saddens me to even consider it, it may be the smarter thing to sell the SlingShot before we move. :(

Bill

if as you say a trip to the dealer will take a day then it truly might be time to seriously think about selling it and getting something else.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• if as you say a trip to the dealer will take a day then it truly might be time to seriously think about selling it and getting something else.

You can not just drive up and expect service from my dealer. the dealer requires all vehicles to stay until they can fit it into their schedule....for that reason I bought the slingshot transporter from kev. It’s a pain to drop it off....but I don’t have another option....that’s why I'll try to fix everything I can....myself. If it requires a computer hooked up I’ll have to drop it off.

Two things work against us.....the popularity of quads And quad sales and lack of trained slingshot mechanics...And A lower number of slingshot sales...Per dealer vs quads...

• if as you say a trip to the dealer will take a day then it truly might be time to seriously think about selling it and getting something else.

I want to figure out a way to realistically keep our SlingShot. It's not simply what I say, Neosolidus, it will be a 400 mile one way trip, that number speaks for itself. It just upsets me that Polaris designed the SlingShot to be so heavily dependent upon dealer support, and then refuses to support the dealers that could support the SlingShot.

Bill

• I want to figure out a way to realistically keep our SlingShot. It's not simply what I say, Neosolidus, it will be a 400 mile one way trip, that number speaks for itself. It just upsets me that Polaris designed the SlingShot to be so heavily dependent upon dealer support, and then refuses to support the dealers that could support the SlingShot.

Bill

Yeah that for sure is a tough pill to swallow, is one thing it you choose to go to that one but have closer ones for emergency but if the closest is 400 miles, I definitely wouldn't own it.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• There's no doubt that the weakest link in the Slingshot brand is the dealer network. If you used that metric to judge the ultimate success or failure of the brand, it looks like it's declining and not expanding.

I don't know if I would sell the Sling under you're circumstances or not wjfyfe since I've only been to the dealer once (warranty swap on my angle drive) but, realistically, you are looking at two 800 mile round trips for one dealer visit (drop off and pick up). That is a difficult pill to swallow. But I love the Sling and it seems you do too. Tough call...

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• my dealer is 25 miles away and I thought that was a pain....if it’s a warranty (Part replacement) job.....usually they have to diagnose the issue...then they have to submit a request to polaris and then Polaris has to OK the job. Then the part is ordered if it’s not in stock and usually it’s not.....It could easily take a week or more after they look at the problem...so waiting For it would be a problem...

• You do have one option to take the Dealer out of the picture, if you want to go down that route, and remove the stock ECU. This would take almost all issues off of them, and you just do the repairs yourself, or find a local garage that can handle it. No more being locked into their setup.

DDM or ZZP could help with this, ZZP being closer to you. Kyle D what do you think?

• You do have one option to take the Dealer out of the picture, if you want to go down that route, and remove the stock ECU. This would take almost all issues off of them, and you just do the repairs yourself, or find a local garage that can handle it. No more being locked into their setup.

DDM or ZZP could help with this, ZZP being closer to you. Kyle D what do you think?

We can definitely handle any needed repairs. Even when we tune the PCM, we still can't do certain things like activate the ABS module. There are a few things that still require digital wrench but as far as accessing, diagnosing, and clearing codes we can do all of that with one of our tuned PCMs. The other option is to install a Haltech PCM but you're looking at $1900 just in parts for that.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke