quietest tires

• The problem is that there are many people that come in complaining about noise because they have such a ridiculous and non reasonable expectation since they compare it to a car experience instead of a bike which is what the slingshot is modeled after.

So, are you saying that it is wrong for a person to choose a Honda Goldwing over an older Harley Davidson, (I say "older" for I believe that even Harley Davidson is manufacturing quieter bikes these days?), because they seek a quieter ride?

Bill

• Speaking of quite I got pulled over by a Federal Park Ranger for coasting down the mountain in Gatlingburg, Tenn. on my brand new 1975 Goldwing. He was sitting at the foot of the mountain and was watching us COAST down the mountain, he pulled us over when we got to him. My friend shut his Goldwing down when we stopped, but I did not. The trooper explained why he had stopped us and my friend told the trooper that my Goldwing was still running, so I reved it up to prove it was still running. That summer riding in the Smokies was a blast because we were the first Goldwings anyone had seen. I forgot to tell the rest of the story for that night, all o this was happening at mid night they were so many people up there that there was no where to sleep. I found a place about 50 yards off of the main drag in Gatlingburg in an abandoned car wash (the broom straw was taller than the bikes) we cleared a spot for the sleeping bags and spent the night right there. It was just outside the gate into the sewer treatment plant, that was what we smelled when the wind changed direction.

• So, it is wrong for a person to choose a Honda Goldwing over an older Harley Davidson, (I say "older" for I believe that even Harley Davidson is manufacturing quieter bikes these days?)

Bill

There are certain things that you can upgrade or add to improve vehicles but there are also characteristics that you just have to put up with, otherwise you just end up chasing your tails in circles and annoying your friends while constantly complaining about it, no one likes a whiner.

For the slingshot, noise and fumes are the things that you can mitigate but you will never get rid off and you need to decide early on(ideally before you buy) if it is something you can put up with, if it's going to annoy you then maybe like my buddy Joe a different vehicle is right for you.

For example I have always had a thing for Ariel Atom and recently one came up for sale locally and I took it for a test drive, after the drive I came to the sad conclusion that I would not enjoy owning one because of the high pitch noise the intake makes, rather than buying it and doing this or doing that to enjoy the drive I decided right there and then that the compromises to enjoy the vehicle were not worth it to me and if I bought it I would regret it and end up selling it soon after.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• With my double bubble windshields and all of the airflow I cant honestly say I have ever heard tire noise that I have been able to distinguish from all of the other sounds

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• Even my Goldwing, as quiet as it is, still has wind noise. It’s part of the experience. In my opinion, IF you could cut the wind noise in the SS by 50%, you would be cutting out 50% of the experience of being out on the open road.
    The best YOU can do is to wear a full face helmet and install headset communicators. Me, I’ll live in the wind like I have since the 70’s and won’t regret a minute of it.

• Even my Goldwing, as quiet as it is, still has wind noise. It’s part of the experience. In my opinion, IF you could cut the wind noise in the SS by 50%, you would be cutting out 50% of the experience of being out on the open road.
    The best YOU can do is to wear a full face helmet and install headset communicators. Me, I’ll live in the wind like I have since the 70’s and won’t regret a minute of it.

20 yrs and 250,000 miles on a Gold Wing and sometimes had the 'headset' & CB radio and sometimes just the WIND. 90.000 miles on the Slingshot and only time I ware a helmet is in the rain.

• 20 yrs and 250,000 miles on a Gold Wing and sometimes had the 'headset' & CB radio and sometimes just the WIND. 90.000 miles on the Slingshot and only time I ware a helmet is in the rain.

I do not believe that I have ever rode a motorcycle (2 wheeler) that had a wind shield and also I have NEVER worried about wind noise or any noise for that matter.

• I'm interested in your experiences with tires to replace the OEM's. I am looking for a tire for my 2016 sling that is the quietest as far as road noise. what is your experience?

Well, dallen 1059, the tires are now the nosiest part of our ride also, so I too shared in your question, but I guess we have come to the wrong place to get any supportive help or have a meaningful discussion of the topic. I am sorry! :(

Bill

• Or else it is not a subject the masses even look or think about

maybe wjfyfe needs to spend more time at the gun range like some of us and then his hearing will decline as much as ours( i am a 37y/o with the hearing of a 90y/o). Solves a lot of issues with the slingshot:00008172:

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• maybe wjfyfe needs to spend more time at the gun range like some of us and then his hearing will decline as much as ours( i am a 37y/o with the hearing of a 90y/o). Solves a lot of issues with the slingshot:00008172:

Add in several years of playing drums in a rock band and you'll catch up to me. Oh yeah, and power tools. And 33 years of marriage. Oops, said too much - gotta go.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Add in several years of playing drums in a rock band and you'll catch up to me. Oh yeah, and power tools. And 33 years of marriage. Oops, said too much - gotta go.

for me I think it might have been the 5 or 6 Who concerts

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I believe that owners here would like to help with tire road noise, but most of us just haven’t given it any consideration...perhaps we can’t hear the tires or we like the sound of the tires on the pavement.

Honestly, I fit into the category of too many loud noises over my lifetime. So, I don’t hear as clearly as I used to. But I wouldn’t give up a minute of listening to Deep Purple, The Who or Aerosmith back in the 70s live in concerts or albums to get my hearing back a little. But, I do wish I knew more about hearing protection while shooting my .357 back in the day.....🎧

• I was on a 2 mile stretch of new asphalt yesterday and it was amazing how quiet the ride became. If you think about it...when you walk along a road you are always listening for approaching vehicles and 99% of the time when you hear one coming it’s because of the tire noise......other than loud exhaust or crazy radios.....my living room is in the back of my house About 60 feet off the road....a guy came down the road the other day My entire house was vibrating Literally from how powerful the bass was in his car......my first thought was he’s killing his hearing...You could hear the and feel the thumping....and my tv was on...

• Just for grins and giggles, we rode the Grasshopper over to Discount Tire, (30 miles), and had a chat with a representative about finding a quieter tire with at least the same traction as the BF Goodrich Comp 2 AS. We must have discussed the various tire options for nearly a half an hour or so but even though the front tires only have 10,000 miles on them and still look nearly new, we decided to replace them with Yokohama-yk740-gtx tires, (we thought we would wait a while before replacing the rear tire.) On the return trip home, by both Interstate and back roads, yes, the Yokohama's were noticeably quieter than the Comp 2's, but admittedly not quite as much as I was hoping. But it did prove that different tires can make a difference where noise is concerned. However, the absolute biggest surprise was with the difference in ride, which is no less than amazing. Before the Grasshopper had definitely what could be described as a "choppy" ride. With the Yokohama's that "choppy" ride was transformed into smooth and much, much more comfortable. The difference was so dramatic that the first thing I did when arriving home was to check tire pressures to assure the front tires were not underinflated. So, the outcome so far is that the Yokohama's are noticeably quieter and give us a much improved ride, we'll get back and report how they perform on wet roads at cooler temperatures when we get that opportunity!

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/yokohama-yk740-gtx

Bill