quietest tires

• Well, here is why I'm asking. We do a lot of long distance driving. many times on interstates. at 70 mph, on certain kinds of pavement, with noisy tires, it is very hard to hear when my wife and I are trying to communicate.

I've noticed that the OEM tires always seem to be fairly quiet on all kinds of pavement, but i replaced my rear tire with a Nitto Invo, and when it hits a certain kind of pavement, it makes a LOT of noise. all the noise comes from the back, the fronts are still quiet.

so, turning up the radio, etc, does not address the problem. I'm not trying to cover up the noise with more noise, I'm trying to lower the overall background noise

Anyone knows what the noisiest tires are........I need an excuse to legally ignore her during long rides :00008356:

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• My response was neither. It's an option to accomplish what the op wants, which is to be able to converse with his spouse. In fact I just read through all the posts here and I don't know what you're talking about.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Time for a new rear tire.... I have been running NITTO 555 for some time. Current rear tire was installed Feb 2019. I have over 20,000 miles on it so it's time to change if I'm going to ride the Smokes'. Stopped by my local Discount Tire (Discount tire put a full set on in 2016 --- different store) and he said he could order but couldn't INSTALL...took the young man 15 minutes talking to the tech to decide they could pull a wheel off the Slingshot and install a tire. But need to wait for in to come in on Tue and than make an appointment... Crazy times. These tires work for the way I drive. Getting 40,000 miles and fronts and 20,000+ on rear.

• Time for a new rear tire.... I have been running NITTO 555 for some time. Current rear tire was installed Feb 2019. I have over 20,000 miles on it so it's time to change if I'm going to ride the Smokes'. Stopped by my local Discount Tire (Discount tire put a full set on in 2016 --- different store) and he said he could order but couldn't INSTALL...took the young man 15 minutes talking to the tech to decide they could pull a wheel off the Slingshot and install a tire. But need to wait for in to come in on Tue and than make an appointment... Crazy times. These tires work for the way I drive. Getting 40,000 miles and fronts and 20,000+ on rear.

you make a very good point - - what works for one person might not work for another - we all have different driving styles and we all face different driving conditions

heck if there was only one "right" choice then we wouldn't have so many tire companies

:thumbsup:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• My response was neither. It's an option to accomplish what the op wants, which is to be able to converse with his spouse. In fact I just read through all the posts here and I don't know what you're talking about.

You and I are talking about two different topics, SlingLow. You are relating how to communicate over the noise of the SlingShot, in which I am in total agreement with your methods by utilizing an intercom. But what I would just like is to quiet the SlingShot over-all to where such devices for communicating would not be necessary. But this topic seems to rub some folks the wrong way where whenever anybody brings it up, it is mostly met with disdain and sarcasm? The one item that has made a noticeable difference with quieting down the ride of our SlingShot is when we have the MeanSling Sport Top installed and "properly" adjusted, ("improperly" adjusted it have quite the opposite effect where it can be irritatingly noisy!) Even though I still am not fond of tops on the SlingShot on a whole, one of the positive things the Sport Top can provide is drastically reduced wind turbulence in the passenger compartment, and thus an overall reduction in noise. It was after the installation of the Sport Top, and replacing our full faced helmets with more open half-helmets, (Bell Pit Boss, to be precise), did we actually realize just how noisy the tires can be. So, even though the BF Goodrich tires provide the better traction that we were seeking, now finding a quieter tire which provides the same traction would be a plus. It would also be nice, as well as beneficial I believe, to be able to discuss other methods of quieting down the SlingShot?

Bill

• my nitto was used up at 6-7000....no burnouts, no skidding....just driving..

there is more to tire life and things like traction than just your driving style - - as an example summer tires rubber compound is not designed for cold weather driving - at temps below 60 the compound can become harder and wear faster and ate temps below 45 to 50 some summer tires can even crack and have pieces break off - - - all other things being equal a summer tire driven in cold weather is not going to hold up as well or last as long as the same tire that is driven only in warmer conditions

add to that the huge variable in road conditions that we have living in so many different locations it can be impossible to compare a tires performance - - it could be great for a gut in Texas and incredibly bad for a guy in Maine - - and in a few places you might be able to run a summer tire year round, but most you would probably do better to switch to an all season as the weather cools off.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• You and I are talking about two different topics, SlingLow. You are relating how to communicate over the noise of the SlingShot, in which I am in total agreement with your methods by utilizing an intercom. But what I would just like is to quiet the SlingShot over-all to where such devices for communicating would not be necessary. But this topic seems to rub some folks the wrong way where whenever anybody brings it up, it is mostly met with disdain and sarcasm? The one item that has made a noticeable difference with quieting down the ride of our SlingShot is when we have the MeanSling Sport Top installed and "properly" adjusted, ("improperly" adjusted it have quite the opposite effect where it can be irritatingly noisy!) Even though I still am not fond of tops on the SlingShot on a whole, one of the positive things the Sport Top can provide is drastically reduced wind turbulence in the passenger compartment, and thus an overall reduction in noise. It was after the installation of the Sport Top, and replacing our full faced helmets with more open half-helmets, (Bell Pit Boss, to be precise), did we actually realize just how noisy the tires can be. So, even though the BF Goodrich tires provide the better traction that we were seeking, now finding a quieter tire which provides the same traction would be a plus. It would also be nice, as well as beneficial I believe, to be able to discuss other methods of quieting down the SlingShot?

Bill

The problem is that there are many people that come in complaining about noise because they have such a ridiculous and non reasonable expectation since they compare it to a car experience instead of a bike which is what the slingshot is modeled after.

Every single bike I own from the 7k ninja to the 38k ducati have rattles,clunks,hums and squeals, it is just something that you put up with if you want to own a bike, I have a friend who had been trying to make his angle drive quieter and ended up selling and getting a miata and now he is happy and no longer spends every single moment of our rides whining about noise.

All the complaining about the sling noise(open cockpit w/zero insulation) is as annoying as when people who order well done steak complaint that the meat is chewy and/or tough.:00008862:

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• on a bumpy road my slingshot sounds like a 55 gallon drum Half full of rocks rolling along....the independant suspension bouncing up and down....the belt, the tires, the angle drive, the exhaust pipes, the wind noise....The noise is constant ......I wear ear plugs because of all of it. I never have the radio on...A conversation is not possible when I’m driving....even slowly it’s hard to hear. Even on a two wheel bike communicating was hard. Expansion joints, bumps, potholes, manholes, Uneven road patches, dead animals.....our roads here suck. I’m constantly dodging some hazard... I won’t even drive A short distance without earplugs....It’s that bad....

the most enjoyable ride I ever had was on brand new asphalt...smooth, a pretty quiet....these are few and far between....the older asphalt gets the louder it gets....brand new tires sound better than older ones....

• I run the Toyo Proxes on the back. It seems quieter than the Kenda, the traction is great and the mileage will be better for sure.

Overall though, wind noise seems like more of an issue than tire noise for me. But, it is what it is!

And this is why I offered up my suggestion for headsets. I believe that if I reduced my tire noise to zero, which of course you can't, I would still prefer to use them to talk at highway speeds. It's just too difficult for me and my less than perfect hearing to make out conversation at speed, and I feel that the tire noise has less impact than the wind, other vehicles, my side exit exhaust, etc. I certainly understand the desire to reduce noise and any incremental benefits such as hearing protection/comm sets, a properly adjusted top, quieter tires, floor and engine insulation, and anything else you can come up with could make the experience better for those who care. Personally, I don't. I got the Sling for an outdoor experience. That's where I like to be.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)