Cooling fan questions

• I have had the coolant guage on the center console go into the third rectangle a couple of time. Driving slowly thru a park or in traffic in a city raises the temp, which normally only fills in the first two boxes.

My questions are; where is the fan switch and can it be controlled with a dash mounted toggle switch; what are the temps that the boxes represent, ie, what is normal temp, what is three boxes temp, what is temp when four boxes are filled in, at what temp does the fan kicks in?

Yes, I have used the search function, but found nothing. I know someone on this forum will have the answer. Y'all always do.

• I believe I read somewhere that you can manually turn the fan on by using a ground trigger on its relay. Would make sense because the headlight relays also use a ground trigger.

I don’t know where the relay is or if it only works on certain years but i’d like to modify mine with a switch as well, when I’m sitting in traffic or a drive thru, the ambient temp gauge skyrockets because the engine bay gets so hot, and it’s way before the radiator fan will kick on.

• This link from The Dark Side might help -

https://www.slingshotforums.co…or-fan.12299/#post-410121.

I believe the procedure shown in this video will work, but I have NOT tried it personally. Note that the guy in the video did get his wire tangled around one of his pedals, so try to avoid that. While he simply sticks a wire in the relay connector, some people will prefer to do a cleaner job, but his method will work.

• I have a gauge and put in a manual rocker switch a couple years ago. I can't remember how I did it , however it was easy as shit and I keep it running all the time when it's hot. Usually doesn't go over 190. I know the switch is the only way to turn it on/off the way I wired it. Really helps the oil temp too!

• Cooling the 'cockpit' --- In the early days a number of us brought some air in to the cockpit. simple piece of shop vac hose -- and a funnel --- bring some air movement in.

Brings air movement in. I have a total of 3

2 on drivers side and 1 on passenger side.

These pictures are from mine but I did the

install.

• Think I just ran my rocker switch from the fan. It's manual. Doesn't work with the sensor.

That makes sense. If you cut the wires at the fan and connect them to a 12v source and ground with a switch, the switch will run the fan and the sensor will control nothing. Just keep in mind that if you use a switched source for the power, the fan will shut off when you shut off the ignition instead of continuing to run until the motor is cool like it does stock and if you use a full time power source the fan will run until you physically turn off the switch. It also won't turn on when the engine is hot unless you turn it on, which means paying constant attention to your temp gauge if you installed one. I don't think that is ideal and if it were me I'd want to add the switch to the existing system and still have the sensor active.I'm guessing there is a way but it's above my pay grade.

ericastar76 ?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• In this TX heat and the additional engine heat from the turbski I thinking this is a go for me.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• with the hot days here, this thread intrigued me, after testing on my 2015, found the bottom / right ( see picture pointing at The receptacle) pin #85 of the relay it is a positive trigger to turn the fan on. For testing with a really reinserted I jumped it with Positive current wire, it turned my cooling fan on.

The top left receptacle is the coil ground, top right receptacle is positive out to the fan, bottom left receptacle is 12v Constant, lower right is positive trigger for the coil to energize the relay.

I would imagine it’s the same on all models?

• I did find that if you jumper from the lower left, 12v constant, to the upper right that the fan will run. Now, to figure out how to do that with the relay and the cover in place. Looks like the easiest way is to remove the Allen head bolts that hold the fuse/relay panel in place and work on it from underneath.

• I was figuring I would pull the fuse block so I could get to the wires underneath as open air suggests, then twist some 16 gauge wire, connect One side to the lower left (I assume it’s fused) then the other side to the lower right. run The twisted pair into the cabin and hook to a on/off switch replacing one of the knockouts under my radio.

• I was figuring I would pull the fuse block so I could get to the wires underneath as open air suggests, then twist some 16 gauge wire, connect One side to the lower left (I assume it’s fused) then the other side to the lower right. run The twisted pair into the cabin and hook to a on/off switch replacing one of the knockouts under my radio.

That sounds like what the guy in the video did, except he just stuck a wire into the relay connections. I'd imagine it should work and look more professional.

• I ordered 3 relays on Amazon for $15. Way cheaper than at a dealer. I cut one open so I could see exactly what goes on inside. Looking into the relay/fuse box from the top, the upper left is coil ground, upper right is power out to the fan (when the relay coil is activated), lower left is constant 12 volt from battery, and lower right is coil power in. So, I wired a toggle type switch from the lower left to the lower right. I did that by "tinning" with solder the ends of two wires and pushing them into the cavity under the slot where the relay pins plug in. See Instalerrob's EXCELLENT PHOTOS a couple of posts up.

Ran the wires thru a hole in the dash (SS is like a sieve, more holes than a colander) to a little round switch. A bag of 20 is cheap on ebay . . . less than Ace Hardware wanted for one. Zip tied it on the left side and way up under the dash.

The wires coming out of the fuse holder box look a little cobbled, but I really didn"t want to take apart the fuse holder and the ecm and that snarl under it. I tucked them into the slot that the cover fits in, and ran black tape around where the box and the lid meet to keep water out.

It works. The fan can be activated with ignition switch on or off, and it SHOULD operate thru the thermal switch on the radiator (or wherever it is). I don't think there is much danger in accidentally walking off and leaving the fan running, it sounds like a Florida airboat. I didn't put in a fuse because the 12v source to the lower left relay slot is already fused, and the relay coil probably draws less current than it takes to light a firefly's butt.

The relays on ebay are " 3 Pack Polaris RZR Slingshot Ranger Sportsman Cooling Fan Relay 4011283 4016819" $15.95 for three of them.

The rocker switches are "20PCS ROCKER SWITCH Toggle 12V Led Light Car Auto Boat Round ON/OFF SPST 20 AMP", $6.99 for a bag of 20.