Slingshot techs in southern Wi

• I have this 2017 Sling with 6200 miles on it, and love it.

I am hearing some weird sounds lately and so I took mine to the dealer.

I had them keep it for the week and tell me what the sounds were.

They say that 3 mechanics drove it around and that they think the sounds are coming from a 'floating caliper' in the rear, and that nothing is wrong.

I was wondering if there were any Sling owners that would have mechanical skills (near me) - as I want others to look at it now.

I am not mechanically smart, but I know what I hear, and I disagree with the caliper theory.

I am concerned there is something else happening - and I have full warranty until June of 2021.

I have read that these things make weird noises - and if it's nothing - I will be fine with that, however I have that funny feeling in my tummy - there is something else going on.

I am unclear what to do at this time, but I will try to find a way to record these sounds as well.

Any advice - I am all ears :)

Thanks in advance,

~ Shadrac

.::. Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it .::.

• Which dealer did you take it to ?

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I'm in Northern Indiana and drive 120 miles to Nielsen's in Lake Villa, IL. Well worth the drive for me just to go up for an oil change. Shawn and Mark are two of the best in the business. I can keep in clean and put lots of miles on my Slingshot but other than that it goes to Lake Villa.

• I'm in Northern Indiana and drive 120 miles to Nielsen's in Lake Villa, IL. Well worth the drive for me just to go up for an oil change. Shawn and Mark are two of the best in the business. I can keep in clean and put lots of miles on my Slingshot but other than that it goes to Lake Villa.

Same here I have a dealer 4 miles from my house, another 25 , 59 miles and I drive 102 miles to see Scott xd675x (Sport Rider Inc) in Altoona WI , he is not only a dealer but an enthusiast who personally owns and drives the slings.

He is rather busy so he doesn't post much in the forums but you can reach out to him via phone or facebook. never had a problem that he couldn't figure out in a very timely manner.

Whenever I have an issue we troubleshoot over the phone and he makes sure that parts are in before I drive there so my sling never spends more at the dealer than however long takes me to eat lunch .

• The only noises that I've seen have been dirty/tight belt. Two different things but very common. Belt should be cleaned every 500 miles give or take. You'll be pleasantly surprised why. Belt tension is usually set too tight at most dealers. It needs to be 4-5mm looser than spec to avoid issues. I've only seen one rear axle bearing ever really go bad. Most of the time it's an over-tight belt causing tension on the bearings to make noise. Loosening the belt usually has taken care of the problem and we've never had to replace a bearing afterwards. Caliper "floating"? Not unless the two mounting bolts are loose.

Scott

2JZ Swap - 400+ WHP - Custom Hood - PRP Seats - Cerwin Vega Stereo - AccuAir - Foose Wheels - Hankook Tires - LiteTheNite LED's

• Thank you for the replies!

The dealer I bought it from is in West Bend, Wi and called Fuel PowerSports.

I have not had a chance to record any sounds yet, as I am in the middle of residing my house and replacing all doors and windows.

I am north of Janesville, so Altoona is about 3 hours NE for me, but worth the drive if something is acting up, and my dealer is not catching it.

I will read up today on cleaning a belt and I will try to describe the sounds a bit better.

To me - it sounds like suspension. Here is when I hear it the most.

I am at a stop sign (or not moving)

I have the SS in gear and as I release the clutch - it sounds like a 'groaning' sound as I engage 1st gear (or reverse)

I feel nothing wrong, but the sound is eerie and I don't want to harm the vehicle.

I appreciate the information and responses and I am sorry for the long delay, just a bit busy lately ;)

~ Shadrac

.::. Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it .::.

• to my very untrained ears that would sound like a belt is too tight therefore creating friction sounds where it shouldn't.

Probably unrelated but have you grease your center drive shaft zero fitting, like I said probably unrelated but before I drive to the dealer I always double check all the silly stuff that interacts with what I think is wrong.

Edited once, last by Neosolidus ().

• It might be belt too tight causing the groaning and/or tension on the wheel bearing which might make noise. Clean belt with scrub brush and soap and try driving it.

2JZ Swap - 400+ WHP - Custom Hood - PRP Seats - Cerwin Vega Stereo - AccuAir - Foose Wheels - Hankook Tires - LiteTheNite LED's

• I will be cleaning the belt tonight. I will also look for the grease fitting and then look for a grease gun and grease ;)

I sure appreciate all the help!
    Sure hope to run in to you guys in the very near future as well!!

• Groan more likely a tight belt.

Clean it. Let it dry out.

Pay attention on your next ride.

Cold belt least groan...

Hot belt from riding, louder groan?

Tight belt.

Riding lonely... less groan.

Riding with passenger... louder groan.

Tight belt.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I will be cleaning the belt tonight. I will also look for the grease fitting and then look for a grease gun and grease ;)

I sure appreciate all the help!
    Sure hope to run in to you guys in the very near future as well!!

there is a video on youtube by Sam Owen(unless he took it down during his last tantrum) that explains in vivid detail how to loosen the belt, pretty much anyone can do it with ~$30 worth of harborfreigh tools or ~$300 snapon .

If it indeed is a belt too tight it would be simple for you to fix it yourself since you don't have a good dealer nearby.

PS. Tool Elitist ignore my sin of mentioning chinetoolexpress. :00008172:

• Steve how is you Angle?

angel flying 2.gif