2020 headlight mod on a 2016 SS

• So the whole hood does not need to be removed to install the headlight? I bet those hood cables were a bear to get to with the hood still on. As far as brightness with just the upper drls it is way brighter at night compared to the stock yellow halogen bulbs. I am sure if you replaced the stock h9’s it would be brighter then the drl’s.

I meant to ask, on the bottom uas gap fillers do they actually bolt to something underneath or is everything held together with screws and zip ties?

• After having done it, I wouldn't attempt without removing the hood, even with the hood extenders and the hood opening up further.

If you choose to trim the nosecone yourself, you don't have to remove it, but it may be easier with it off, not sure.

With taking my hood off, installing the light, bracket, and then putting the new nosecone on, I probably have 7 or so hours invested over a couple of days.

it's a fun project, pretty involved, but not too difficult. Maybe faster for me now that I know how to take the hood apart to replace the nosecone

• I did the complete UAS install without removing the hood. Sure, it will be easier by removing it but it can be done without removing. I didn’t want to take a chance on messing it up so I left it installed. I also felt it would be easier to take the hood panels off while it was installed.

• I did the complete UAS install without removing the hood. Sure, it will be easier by removing it but it can be done without removing. I didn’t want to take a chance on messing it up so I left it installed. I also felt it would be easier to take the hood panels off while it was installed.

Here is one thing that we stress on this forum, "pics or it didn't happen"!

:HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SILVERSS:My paint is fast, TURBO Silver!

• [quote='maverick5990','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/9345-2020-headlight-mod-on-a-2016-ss/&postID=316644#post316644']

Are the Canadian lights different for the 2020?
    They don’t use the center lights and those are the ones we use to see to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't take this to the bank, but I don't believe the headlights changed on the Canadian version. They didn't go for the center lights on the 2015's! I just checked the 2020 parts list and the Canadian didn't change.

[/quote]

So are you saying the Canadian version is now using center lights?

• So are you saying the Canadian version is now using center lights?

The exported Slingshots only have 4 lights, 2 one each side, no center. Their government doesn't approve any lights in the center. What us yankees call Canadian lights is to add 2 more to the outside to make it 6.

:HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SILVERSS:My paint is fast, TURBO Silver!

• I am not doubting the center lights are bright. I only have room for the outside lights. I can not put center lights on my sling. With Canadian lights I have now I have two on each side and one on each side is for driving with hi/low beam and other one is dimmer running lights. If the new model side lights are only as bright as the previous outside lights then they won’t be bright enough for me.

• I am not doubting the center lights are bright. I only have room for the outside lights. I can not put center lights on my sling. With Canadian lights I have now I have two on each side and one on each side is for driving with hi/low beam and other one is dimmer running lights. If the new model side lights are only as bright as the previous outside lights then they won’t be bright enough for me.

The new side lights are underwhelming to say the least. Much less brightness compared to my aftermarket LED bulbs n factory 2017 housing i removed. Looks great visually but the night lightning is diminished for sure.

• Just had the 2020 conversion on my 2016 SL and the center light is very dim even with the high beams on. I'm considering replacing it altogether with a 12' light bar. I'm not convinced that a replacement OEM center piece will provide the brightness I need for safe night driving.

• [quote='Webweaver1021','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/9345-2020-headlight-mod-on-a-2016-ss/&postID=362628#post362628']

Just had the 2020 conversion on my 2016 SL and the center light is very dim even with the high beams on. I'm considering replacing it altogether with a 12' light bar. I'm not convinced that a replacement OEM center piece will provide the brightness I need for safe night driving.

[/quote]

I would put two projectors in the middle and go with good led bulbs or hids

• That’s what I did BEFORE the conversion but as you can see, HIDs may not work with this conversion. Not sure what you mean by ‘projectors’ but are there brighter oem center headlights for the 2020 model?

• Just had the 2020 conversion on my 2016 SL and the center light is very dim even with the high beams on. I'm considering replacing it altogether with a 12' light bar. I'm not convinced that a replacement OEM center piece will provide the brightness I need for safe night driving.

The 2020+ new center headlight LED illumination is utter garbage at night. Thus the reason I only upgraded the side LEDs on my 2017. The illumination with upgraded HIDs or even LED bulbs on the prior models is much much better than with the stock LED assembly on the new models. They went for aesthethics but functionality is really bad. I have seen the new models at night on the highway and the visibility of those LEDs on the road is very poor.

• That’s what I did BEFORE the conversion but as you can see, HIDs may not work with this conversion. Not sure what you mean by ‘projectors’ but are there brighter oem center headlights for the 2020 model?

Webweaver1021 noticed you have the UAS air blasters installed. How are they working out? Would you recommend them? Any information good are bad would be appreciated.

• Yes, the air blasters are not useful without the misting option otherwise they just blast hot air. I had it installed a day before they released the mister and was offered the option but I've yet to drive back down to get it installed.