Tire pressure question

• this is the recommended tire pressure in the service manual for the slingshot.

the question is....the slingshot comes with the Kendra tires from the factory. Is this pressure only recommended for the Kendra Tires or does it apply to all brands of tires we would put on the SS.....many manufactures recommended different tire pressure for their tires....

• I asked this question when changing tires out, I was told to follow the tire manufacturer recommendations.

I think the vehicle manufacturers have specific tire pressure guidelines, based on what they ship from the factory. if you stick with the stock size/style of tire, you are probably safe going with the original numbers.

• Just FYI. Manufacturers all provide air pressure recommendations. But tires have a fairly wide range of pressures that are acceptable. Manufacturers use their recommendations that provides the best ride, but it's not something that has to be followed 100%. Some people (usually on cars) like to go up a few pounds to try to get a little extra gas mileage (and yes, it's really LITTLE, but there's always that 1% who love getting an extra two miles per tankful. But the higher pressure usually gets you a rougher ride by having a stronger sidewall. Sometimes that will also give you some better feel in cornering since you don't have as much sidewall deflection. Softer tires may get some more tread contact to the ground for a slight improvement in traction, but it also diminishes gas mileage and could damage the sidewall by having more flex in cornering. Also if you hit potholes with a softer tire, you could damage the sidewall (bubble) when the wheel actually comes in contact with the sidewall bulge. So there is no perfect tire pressure as it's up to the individual and what he's trying to get out of the tires as long as the pressure remains within the tire manufacturer guidelines.

Whatever pressure you do run, just make sure you keep a close eye on the tread wear pattern that you get and adjust the pressure up or down as needed to get even tread wear

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Just FYI. Manufacturers all provide air pressure recommendations. But tires have a fairly wide range of pressures that are acceptable. Manufacturers use their recommendations that provides the best ride, but it's not something that has to be followed 100%. Some people (usually on cars) like to go up a few pounds to try to get a little extra gas mileage (and yes, it's really LITTLE, but there's always that 1% who love getting an extra two miles per tankful. But the higher pressure usually gets you a rougher ride by having a stronger sidewall. Sometimes that will also give you some better feel in cornering since you don't have as much sidewall deflection. Softer tires may get some more tread contact to the ground for a slight improvement in traction, but it also diminishes gas mileage and could damage the sidewall by having more flex in cornering. Also if you hit potholes with a softer tire, you could damage the sidewall (bubble) when the wheel actually comes in contact with the sidewall bulge. So there is no perfect tire pressure as it's up to the individual and what he's trying to get out of the tires as long as the pressure remains within the tire manufacturer guidelines.

Whatever pressure you do run, just make sure you keep a close eye on the tread wear pattern that you get and adjust the pressure up or down as needed to get even tread wear

I have never ran the recommended tire pressure . The tire pressure for the same tire is relative to the width of the rim it is mounted on. Keep up with the wear pattern on the tire as Funinthesun says and adjust the air pressure accordingly. Even to tire brands like on the Slingshot you may have to run different tire pressures. Now on track days I have run cold tire pressures as low as 23 PSI on the front and the rear. When I spun out last year on the track day I had started with 23 PSI cold front and rear when I came back in I dropped another 3 PSI hot and no longer had the problem. That stock Kenda that no seems to like, when hot sticks like glue.

• when talking about the slingshot I would think going with the pressure recommended by polaris as a starting point and the adjusting as necessary from there would be best - - tire manufacture recommendations might be good for a car or truck, but I doubt they take into account the unique weight distribution of a three wheel vehicle like ours

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• the question basically refers to the pressure to use on non Kenda tires...

assuming the tires are the same size as the stock Kenda tires I doubt the brand has much effect on pressure requirements - I suspect the load / weight being put on each tire is more of a factor - - and considering the fact that the slingshot weighs so little and is a three wheeled vehicle I dont see how the tire manufacture could make a better judgement for a starting point/recommendation than what polaris recommends

I think you are worrying way more than you need to - just put them where polaris recommends and then watch them and adjust them so that you get the ride and wear that you want

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies