Windshield Talk...

• Sorry, I feel like this topic has been beaten to death, but I haven't seen one that really breaks some of them down.

I am completely lost when it comes to windshields. I refuse to wear a helmet while riding, but will also not ride without eye protection for both my passenger and myself.

I have a 2019 base and bought the tinted "ripper" (?) style with it. It LOOKS great, but is about 80% useless. It catches a lot of bugs, and deflects a good amount of wind, but thats it. I have been recently getting pelted with small pebbles and debris while riding on the highway, and it has become a pretty big fear of mine to get hit with something big. I drive mine to work as much as I can, which is about 70 miles (round trip) on the highway, and recently have been driving up to Detroit for Sling meets and cruises every weekend.

I don't (and won't ever) have a roof. Stock exhaust, although i’d like to change that someday - but 99% chance will just be a muffler change, so the exhaust will come out of the same spot.

It looks like the F4 is a really common one to go with, but I can't say i'm a fan of the curve it has. I like how the ripper style has the aggressive lines that match the Slings style. (I know, I know, function over form) which size do people go with? Im about 5'10" and don't want anything to be in my line of sight looking down the road. (Just looked up prices of the +3 and +5 tinted, JESUS...let me take out a small loan!) Actually, looks like Slingmods is more expensive on that F4 windshield than all other sites. Still expensive though.

(P.S. Whats a mint condition tinted Ripper go for these days?)

What alternatives are there? Is that adjustable one from Slingshot Only worth it? Seems like a cool idea, not spend a fortune to have a tall one that looks odd, and be able to just raise this one?

Thanks for any input guys. Pictures are definitely welcomed. Sorry if this stuff has been gone over before, I just seemed to be more picky and have more questions than most posts I saw.

• I ran the MadStad Single Adjustable 13" windshield for 4 years and now run a NASCAR style Tallboy +2 windshield from AllThingsSlingshot. Even with a top, I sometimes get bugs to make it over the windshield and under the top frame to impact my forehead and occasionally near my eyes.

I liked both of them. The MadStad for its 2" or so of vertical positioning and the NASCAR style for the fact that it is angled more inline with m,y top's frame and doesn't allow any rain underneath it, protecting my AFR/Boost gauge. I actually drilled new mounting holes that allowed the MadStad/SSO windshield t5o be positioned even lower/closer to the hood. I got it so low that I needed to raise the windshield before opening the hood if I used the higher holes that placed the windshield in its lowest mounting position. The main complete abou the Adjustable windshield is some folks feel it stick too upright and doesn't fit smoothly with the Slingshot's lines. Personally, I'm more of a function over form person, so it never bothered me. It allows plenty of ventilation.

• I am running the stock 2015 wind screens that have been cut down about 2 1/2 inch or to the top of the center brace. I also have a +6 that came with Sling II it is like riding in an oven and also I do not like looking thru the wind screen. I have had the taller wind screen to fog up instantly at 85 mph on the interstate so that would be a good reason to be able to look over the top of the wind screen. There is noway that I will run with the tall wind screens.

• The best is to be able to sit in a Slingshot with different Windshields. If you can get to a rally or gathering you will be able to see some different one. I have a F4 tinted 5+ on my Slingshot. (I'm 5ft 11in) and have always wanted to look thru the windshield. I have 85,000+ miles on the Windshield and it is still in great shape. Couple of little scuffs that would have hurt the head had it not been for the shield. If you go with a F4 shield you will want to add a set of Baker "Air Wings" ... the combination will give you the 'function' you want. I ride most of the time without a helmet, and with the air wings can keep the cold out or bring some cool in. I have also added so fresh air in flow with some funnels and tubing. (but that's another story)

One thing that you may want to do is put your 'hometown' in our profile so we will all know where to 'stalk' you or if your relatively close we can meet for 'coffee'.

• Agreed with EjFord and wish I had heeded this advice. When I bought my sling, I did a lot of reading and saw that many people liked their Madstat/TD windshields and went with it, but didn't like it after I had it for a while and went with the Nascar and very happy I switched.

We have get togethers all over the country, take a look before you invest! :)

• Different types have different advantages and disadvantages. One advantage of the F4 curve is the added rigidity.

I have the NASCAR style tallboy. I'm 5' 8". There is a larger option of the NASCAR tallboy +2 as BLK has (above). I love the NASCAR profile but you do give up some rigidity. Originally my Sling did not come stock with a center support I purchased a center support. Other considerations. I purchased a set of baker air wings. Really great at adding airflow into the cockpit. This also comes into play with the loss of rigidity. It's easily fixed by purchasing some small round wood stock and cutting it to shape. I painted them black & placed at the outboard edges of the windscreen. I saw someone drilled and screwed a set up in place but I just used some 3M interlocking strips (much stronger then Velcro) and some clear gorilla glue (on the interlocking portion of the strips). Works great and I'm very happy with the NASCAR tallboy.

Some considerations to think about.

• As stated above, The NASCAR style windshield is thinner and has some flexing at the extreme upper corners, at least on my Tallboy +2, but it doesn't bother me. I have encountered fogging a couple of times, but I have been able to simply lift my head a little so I can see over the top of the windshield and between the windshield and the top's frame. I developed a preference for a taller windshield with my 2008 V-Strom and then my 2007 SV650 and still prefer to look thru the shield when possible and over when I need to. I just like the additional eye protection associated with larger windshields.

• Great post. I've had my Sling for two years and have done allot of research on this subject. Allot has to do with what conditions you ride in. I ride in more heat than cold. (I hate the cold). I am going the adjustable route in hopes to get the benefits of both. EjFord is 100% correct. Get in some first. I have been testing windscreens in some of my Slingshot brothers and sisters Slings. No need to make a knee jerk or hasty decision. Too many good people on this forum willing to help.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• if we could get a glass windshield I would probably have one. I can’t look through plastic windshields...it makes everything look squiggly....causing me to get car sick. When I bought my SS it had a factory shield 12” high. I cut off 6” straight across so I can look over it. I also have double bubbles and I cut down the drivers side 5” so I can look over it...

It depends on how much air flow you want in the cabin.....when it’s cooler I use the straight windshield. When it hot out I use the double bubbles. They let in way more wind.....The straight one is covered with bugs right now..I go hit several times this year by bugs....

So it’s going to depend on several factors concerning the windshield type and height....one other thing .....I don’t see how people with dark tinted shields Can see at night....I personally would never have one...I wear mirrored googles and at night the visibility goes way down.....I switch to clear goggles for night riding....

• I feel like I am the resident expert when it comes to Windshields...I have bought and tested 5 different makes and sizes. I am running a NASCAR Tallboy +2...and it is easily my favorite. I get the occasional rock or bug over the top, but it's rare. The sides aren't so wide that you lose the open air feeling. You can hold conversations in the Slingshot with out having to scream and shout. Honestly it's been the best one I have used.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• I feel like I am the resident expert when it comes to Windshields...I have bought and tested 5 different makes and sizes. I am running a NASCAR Tallboy +2...and it is easily my favorite. I get the occasional rock or bug over the top, but it's rare. The sides aren't so wide that you lose the open air feeling. You can hold conversations in the Slingshot with out having to scream and shout. Honestly it's been the best one I have used.

I based my purchase decision for the NASCAR Tallboy +2 on @Br4hm4's review and he was spot on!

• Is anyone running the nascar sportster windshield during the summer months? I was thinking of purchasing one for warmer months or a set of baker air wings to mount to my Slingshade for a little extra air flow.

• Either way you can't go wrong with the baker air wings. I have the tallboy. I also have a V-Back top that I use during the colder months. But if you already have the top I can say the air wings work great with a taller windscreen and a top. Nots sure of the slingshade options for the air wings?

• I've been using the NASCAR style Tallboy +2 for the last several months and have a TD Top. The windshield comes up to within an inch or so in the center and within a couple inches on the sides. Even with the top, I feel I have decent air flow in the cockpit. I bought some Vetter Vents off EBay in case I wanted more air flow. They install easily by drilling a hole and then using a drinking glass w/sloped sides and some sandpaper to enlarge the hole for a friction fit. The ventscan be opened or closed when additional air flow is not needed, but I haven't felt the need to drill my Tallboy +2. It's made from thin plastic and with the additional height of the +2 version, the outer tops of the windshield do vibrate a little and the vibration is more noticeable with the top so close to the edges of the windshield, but overall, I'm happy with the NASCAR style windshield.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I can speak for F4 quality; have been riding bikes for 50 years, nearly all with windshields. Nearly all were easily scratched if not super careful cleaning. Not so with F4's. I've had two, neither have ever scratched. Extra hard surface apparently.

I look thru mine so can't offer suggestions on height.

Call F4 and they can help you.

As to the Ripper; I sold mine for $100. It cost me $75 to ship!!!! Never again will I try to ship a Slingshot windshield.

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• Just to say I bought madstad 13 and love it. Great for riding in hotness but probably not so much for extreme cold. Have a f4 +5 in garage on shelf. That’s for cold weather. I was going to sell, maybe take it to some rally but not gonna ship.

I like both but for both applications, don’t forget baker air wings.Worth every penny.

JUST SAYIN

Keep Three Wheels Down