Stock Alternator Upgrade?

• I know there are a few aftermarket options for us as far as high output alternators go, BUT I’m wondering if anyone has figured out why our stock alts only output a measly 13.5v?

In the audio world, that 1 volt is a noticeable difference.

Are these alternators PCM controlled? Or do they have a regulator on the alt? I’d be happy with mine if I could get 14.4-14.5v out of it.

I have a 2019 S.

• Why? Because they were cheap. It's all about that profit margin, my friend.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Are these alternators PCM controlled?

Yes ..... most of the aftermarket high output units with separate regulators will set off permanent CEL.

As far as the why, the PCM only calls for enough to fill the specific need lessening alternator drag improving power and MPG. Thank the Gov'ment.

.... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Bummer, was hoping there was a way to get around that. Guess ill be swapping in a high output unit sooner than later.

Im a cheap ass...has anyone made their own Optima battery tray for the 2016+ years? $100 seems insane right on par with overpriced slingshot parts for such a small thing. My uncle has a welder and does all kinds of custom fabrication work. Might have to get ahold of him soon.

Tempted to just throw a spare battery in the passenger side compartment but don't wanna lose the little space I still do have. Drivers side has a sub. Also toying around the idea of one (or two) of those smaller, awkward shaped car audio batteries mounted under the rear deck since they can be mounted in any orientation.

• Bummer, was hoping there was a way to get around that. Guess ill be swapping in a high output unit sooner than later.

Im a cheap ass...has anyone made their own Optima battery tray for the 2016+ years? $100 seems insane right on par with overpriced slingshot parts for such a small thing. My uncle has a welder and does all kinds of custom fabrication work. Might have to get ahold of him soon.

Tempted to just throw a spare battery in the passenger side compartment but don't wanna lose the little space I still do have. Drivers side has a sub. Also toying around the idea of one (or two) of those smaller, awkward shaped car audio batteries mounted under the rear deck since they can be mounted in any orientation.

Many have installed a high density gel battery in the small bottom section of the passenger storage compartment with a plate on top so you have a flat floor and really don't loose any room. You sound like you may already know but for others who may not, due to the different battery sizes and types remember to use an automatic isolating charging relay such as: https://www.bluesea.com/produc…ng_Relay_-_12_24V_DC_120A . You could probably do all this for less than the price of just the Optima battery and be safer for it.

Don't know of any other than the extreme systems where this hasn't been sufficient to handle the increased draw on strong bass hits. Running your amp off of the secondary battery and using the isolator also prevents a no start situation since it disconnects from the starter battery if it gets low. I have my boat systems hooked up this way so I don't end up stranded out on the sand bar.

......... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

I don't pretend to know much about how all the electrical stuff works... I don't have lots of lights or other things that use a lot of juice, and I have never been left stranded with the OEM battery in my Slingshot. (74,000+ miles on my 2016) I'm just wondering why you need MORE electric out put? The guys who have lots of extra lights, etc have set up an extra fuse box powered off the battery and NO problems.

• Thats actually a great idea. I like that a lot. Would allow easy access while making a flat "floor" like you mentioned. Hmmm. Thanks!

I don't pretend to know much about how all the electrical stuff works... I don't have lots of lights or other things that use a lot of juice, and I have never been left stranded with the OEM battery in my Slingshot. (74,000+ miles on my 2016) I'm just wondering why you need MORE electric out put? The guys who have lots of extra lights, etc have set up an extra fuse box powered off the battery and NO problems.

I go to a lot of meets as of late, and I am adding more lights and audio accessories just about every week. I currently have two amps, with a third sitting on my table ready to be installed with 4 more speakers. More battery for my case results in not worrying about having my lights on while parked and engine off, as well as giving the amps the reserve power they may crave on some ...stronger... songs. Especially with this stock, comically small battery.

Also, stock Slingshot electrical was designed by a blind person with very low brain functionality. (Hence all the recalls, melted fuse blocks, etc) The alternator cable going to the battery is actually scary small. I wouldn't run 4 halogen lights off that, let alone an entire vehicles electrical system.

• I know some of us 'old farts' are nosey!!!! I had a 'melted fuse block' Sept 2015 on my 2015 ... to OLD to wait for the warrantee work so I traded for a 2016. ---- I had 16,901 miles on the 2015 from Feb to Sept and my dealer was good to me.

• After Googling "6 phase alternator for Ecotec 2.4L", I have come across several higher output alternators for our motor (some priced under $100), but I haven't taken the time to compare the mounting bolt patterns to my alternator to see if any specific model fits.

• DDM Stage 3 Turbo / Intercooler / Fuel Rail / Track Clutch

Magnaflow Short Exhaust / GM 2 Bar MAP Sensor / 60# Fuel Injectors / AEM Air/fuel Gauge / Glow Shift Boost Gauge

Stock: Radiator, Coolant Resevoir, ECU with Tune, Intake Manifold, Suspension, Brakes

Stock: 305/45R18 Nitto NT555R not enough traction